Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

nowty

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by nowty »

Nowty Towers is still holding out on lighting the gas boiler and the batteries are just about lasting through the day with the heatpump on near 100% of the time. This is the last really cold day so things should improve tomorrow onwards.

But last night I had a row with SHMBO because she wanted to do several hours of ironing and I was about to put the oven on to cook the roast chicken. We had to compromise so she did a half hour ironing slot for essentials, and I had to delay cooking the dinner. I also had to turn off the kitchen heated floor.

But I now realise that the ironing in Dec / Jan is unlikely to be possible on time shifted cheap rate from the batteries if the heatpump is having to run non stop. So either I'll have to tolerate some peak rate leccy use or run the gas boiler for heating in the evenings. :(
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Please consider the instantpot, then crisp it up (chicken not instantpot) 5.7 litre was under 60 quid in costco yesterday.
for xl chooks we use our 8 litre capacity one, 5.7 is a bit small for anything but an average sized bird.

(if you used a combi microwave with convection like a panasonic dimension 4, the heat up times for that space is very minimal to 170c compared to a big regular oven, to crisp it through having frugally cooked via electrons in 45 mins (+ pressurise time) ..naturally we'd stick our bird in as it heated up to save a bit more energy & time.

The stainless steel pot is a simple clean too (squirt of washing up liquid, set to steam) ....lightest of scrubs to finish.
Our original (8 litre) must be 6+ years old now & going strong, a pleasure to use every time.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Post removed
Last edited by Moxi on Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Post removed
Last edited by Moxi on Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:49 pm Nowty,

Christmas is coming - and if you're feeling brave its the perfect chance to buy SWMBO a rather fetching antique flat iron, the ones where you fill the iron body with hot embers are the best unless you have a WBS in which case the simpler basic flat iron would be sufficient (two required of course- duty / standby) :lol:

Moxi
If I did, I fear it would be rapidly returned to me where the sun does not shine. :shock:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I wonder when the last manslaughter charge was brought with an old fashioned flat iron?

You'd be a brave but reckless man to buy that for the wife. :lol:
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

But you could sell it as an "object d'art" which would complement the other antiquities , and it just happens to have a practical use as well dear?

Nah?? she'd see straight through that?? :o

Best preserve your gonads and turn on the boiler :D

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Nowty's wife is clearly responsible for ALL that global warming they mention occasionally on the news.

Cause found, problem yet to be solved.
I hear the guillotine is low energy cost effective means of mopping up this sort of problem, purportedly with no further transgressions from the criminals likely to occur!?
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
nowty

Post by nowty »

Gas boiler still switched off here at Nowty Towers, but the recent cold weather is having the heatpump on almost all the time and SWMBO insisting on a washing + ironing session today is taking the home batteries too low for the Intelligent Octopus 6hr cheap slot at 6kW charge rate to re-fill.

6hrs x 6kW = 36kWh's is just not quite enough to fully refill the useable 50kWh battery banks.

So my retired Sofar ME3000SP is being fired up this evening as a supplementary battery charger to add another 2kW of charge rate during the cheap slot. I used to use it this way when I only had a 4hr cheap slot with Octopus Go but I have never ventured this far into winter without the gas boiler before.

That's a potential 6hrs x 8kW = 48kWh, got to start a new day with a full battery at this time of year. :twisted:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:51 pm Gas boiler still switched off here at Nowty Towers, but the recent cold weather is having the heatpump on almost all the time and SWMBO insisting on a washing + ironing session today is taking the home batteries too low for the Intelligent Octopus 6hr cheap slot at 6kW charge rate to re-fill.

6hrs x 6kW = 36kWh's is just not quite enough to fully refill the useable 50kWh battery banks.

So my retired Sofar ME3000SP is being fired up this evening as a supplementary battery charger to add another 2kW of charge rate during the cheap slot. I used to use it this way when I only had a 4hr cheap slot with Octopus Go but I have never ventured this far into winter without the gas boiler before.

That's a potential 6hrs x 8kW = 48kWh, got to start a new day with a full battery at this time of year. :twisted:
Nowty, have you passed your own PB for gas off in Winter?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees