Window insulation

Energy efficient construction methods and insulation
nowty

Re: Window insulation

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:03 pm Outstanding! Fitting yourself ot with the help?
Myself, but with the help of SWMBO, hold this, push here, no, no, your doing it wrong, etc, etc. :lol:

Fitted 3 larger ground floor windows and 3 external doors and a conservatory before, but these will be the last 3 I do myself. One is ground floor, so easy, one is half way up stairs so more difficult and the last one is the upstairs bathroom but access can be had from a Kitchen extension roof so not too bad and the window is smaller and easy to handle. Unfortunately in the old windows, the beading comes out from the outside so its difficult taking the glass out higher up than the ground floor.

There are 3 final large upstairs windows to do, but no chance of me doing those and they will probably wait till later in the year or next.
Last edited by nowty on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Nice one, I hope you can reuse or pass along the old glazing units. Also hope you feel and hear a big difference. Looking forward to reading about it.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Swan_Valley

Post by Swan_Valley »

GarethC wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:49 pm LOL, in true 'double glazing salesman' fashion I should start to harp on about the horrendous return on embedded carbon in any replacements you buy (albeit with some justification I think), meaning you should clearly plump for our product instead.

Slightly more seriously, we just installed some on existing double glazing that was suffering badly from condensation, with surprisingly good results. As we'll all know here, the reduction in U-value from a Gecko pane is much less if installed on DG vs. single glazing (IIRC around 30% vs. around 50% for single glazing). Anyway it seemed to cure the condensation problem. I suggested to the homeowner that he probably still needs to do something about sources of humidity, and ventilation, if he's getting that much condensation on DG.

Anyway, if anyone here would like to trial panes, let me know. I'll see if I can do at cost or better in return for the feedback. Although I might struggle to get out the door. Business is going really well. To the extent I'm struggling to keep on top of enquiries and orders. Main issue is my supply chain though. Once I've got that sorted life will be much easier.
Been reading through various topics on here and this could interest us for helping to improve the insulation for some of our double glazed windows.
Would the system fit in the window recess, rather than needing to fit in the window frame?
Our DG window frames don't have a sufficient space and are angled, so would not support a panel mounted close to the glass.
SolarEdge 4kWp West + 6kWp East plus 2xGivEnergy 8.2kWh Batteries. 2xA2A ASHP's + MVHR.
2xBEV's. Go Faster & Ripple WT1 + Abundance.
2.5k litres of rain water storage for flushing toilet and watering garden.
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Actually just trying this with a customer now. I don't think the recess can be much bigger than about 1.25-1.5 square metres, or the Gecko pane -might- not be sufficiently rigid. You also -might- need something to ensure that it's held fairly vertically (although maybe not). The reveal we're about to experiment with is 1.28 square metres, so will be a good test.

The customer in question is actually more concerned about noise, so thicker acrylic sheet than the 2mm I use as standard might be optimal, but then the Gecko pane becomes a bit on the heavy side. I can report back on how well it goes if you like. Alternatively, PM me some dimensions and I'll see if I can get something posted out to you.