Energy Tariffs

sharpener

Re: Energy Tariffs

Post by sharpener »

ducabi wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:43 am Why is PAYG much cheaper?
And a number of other questions.

For example, why does the SE region (unlike London) have the highest E7 day rates and the lowest night rates? Hence why is the incentive to use night rate very different in different parts of the country?

Also, do the 14 different rates for the 14 regions truly reflect the differing costs of the infrastructure, population density etc or are they an arbitrary hangover from the pre-privatisation era? Are they mandated by OFGEM, and where does the extra money go to or is it just retained by EDF and the other suppliers?
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
nowty

Post by nowty »

sharpener wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:13 am Also, do the 14 different rates for the 14 regions truly reflect the differing costs of the infrastructure, population density etc or are they an arbitrary hangover from the pre-privatisation era? Are they mandated by OFGEM, and where does the extra money go to or is it just retained by EDF and the other suppliers?
Some official info here,
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/r ... rk-charges

And a simpler read here,
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... gy-prices/
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:17 am
And a simpler read here,
Just had a read of the above and now realise I live in Scottland! :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

nowty wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:17 am
sharpener wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:13 am Also, do the 14 different rates for the 14 regions truly reflect the differing costs of the infrastructure, population density etc or are they an arbitrary hangover from the pre-privatisation era? Are they mandated by OFGEM, and where does the extra money go to or is it just retained by EDF and the other suppliers?
Some official info here,
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/r ... rk-charges

And a simpler read here,
PAYG prices still don't make any sense to me.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

sharpener wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:13 am

For example, why does the SE region (unlike London) have the highest E7 day rates and the lowest night rates? Hence why is the incentive to use night rate very different in different parts of the country?

Also, do the 14 different rates for the 14 regions truly reflect the differing costs of the infrastructure, population density etc or are they an arbitrary hangover from the pre-privatisation era? Are they mandated by OFGEM, and where does the extra money go to or is it just retained by EDF and the other suppliers?
Edited to add that this post refers to an EDF tariff that is only available to customers on the "Safeguard Assist" scheme, so those on low incomes that are in receipt of Warm Homes Scheme assistance.

All VERY good questions indeed! I don't think I've ever seen any tariff where the PAYG prices are lower than the DD prices. Also, I simply do not believe that it costs half as much to generate and supply electricity to the SE at night than it does to supply us here in the South. Some of the other discrepancies also look pretty iffy, too.

A bit over 98% of our total usage is at night now, and I'm currently paying 17.831p/kWh at night. Switching to a tariff that costs 14.82p/kWh would be a useful saving, even more so at whatever the post-increase tariff from our existing supplier turns out to be (it won't be cheaper, I'm sure). The fly in the ointment is the much higher standing charge, as I'll be paying that even when we're not using any energy from the grid. I need to try and work out where the sweet spot is, it may be worth paying a bit more per unit if the standing charge is lower.
Last edited by Oldgreybeard on Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

sharpener wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:13 am

My guess is that the day/night differences in the South-East is due to IFA providing ultra-cheap overnight power from the French Nuclear fleet.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:20 pm
My guess is that the day/night differences in the South-East is due to IFA providing ultra-cheap overnight power from the French Nuclear fleet.
According to The Economist, France is currently a net importer because 56% of their nuclear fleet is out of commission for repairs. Of course this might still mean they have a surplus at night - just not as reliable.

And why would this not also apply in London?
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:20 pm My guess is that the day/night differences in the South-East is due to IFA providing ultra-cheap overnight power from the French Nuclear fleet.
IFA 1, Britned and NEMO are all in the SE, but they often export to continental Europe at night, I believe. IFA 2 is in the Southern Region, but again that often seems to export at night. There must be something else at work here to create the prices differential, but I can't for the life of me think what it might be.

Looking at where the cheapest generation is, then most of it is along the East coast, from wind, I would guess. The SE doesn't seem to have much low cost generation AFAICS.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Deleted this post because the info used for the EDF tariff was wrong.
Last edited by Oldgreybeard on Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Andy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:33 am The tariffs vary hugely by region. I'm in the north of scotland and I won't get any benefit in switching. That's 15p cheap for me. However other areas are down to 6p. Good luck.

The E10 rates can be found here https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default ... ters_0.pdf

E7 and standard https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default ... meters.pdf

It took ages to find these. Even the phone operator couldn't :roll:

Just found a major snag with the second link. This is the tariff that applies to customers that are eligible for "Safeguard Assist", so low income households that are eligible for the Warm Homes Scheme subsidy. Unless you are eligible for this subsidised tariff then you won't be able to switch to it. There's info on the Safeguard scheme here: https://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/gran ... ard-tariff

The link to the tariffs that apply to customers that are not on low incomes is here: https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default ... credit.pdf

Note that the prices are a great deal higher than those linked in the quoted post above, so my subsequent posts referring to those prices don't apply for us, or most people I suspect. I'll edit those posts to make this clear.

By way of comparison, the true EDF prices from 1st October 2022 for Economy 7 in the Southern Region are 61.01p/kWh day rate, 32.96p/kWh night rate and a standing charge of 44.5p/day (all if paying by DD).

I shall not be calling EDF to switch to this tariff!