Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Krill wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:38 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:17 pm
Krill wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:47 am

Playing devils advocate, because I agree that small scale solar PV without a battery should be installed on every house and apartment, but there is a difference between the investment in a property that is occupied close to 100% of the time (especially when looking at such low loads) and a holiday home that is occupied maybe 10 weeks of the year (guessing on this, but the point holds).

Joe, what's the usage like when you aren't at the property, and are there any feed in tariffs available?
There are fit's here but I wouldn't pursue them as it would be a heavy investment and not quite in line with my small scale goals.

I Don't actually know the usage. Genuinely the first time I've looked at the meter was this morning. There are meter people who take readings each month and it comes off dd. I'd guess £20 a month across 7 or 8 months occupied? Nothing really and I'd do it not for financial reasons but to be self sufficient to a greater degree and because the suns there every day. I'll know in the next few days our average Summer day use. It won't be much!
Without looking at any figures, it seems like the test case in a permenantly occupied home seems wisest, work out the potential pitfalls and then roll it out to other properties as resources allow when you can weight up if it is better to do something else first? Looking at this as a resource allocation issue, rather than viability.

Partly wondering because I have family that have properties in France and the resource allocation is a real point. The property in the UK needs renovation but they would not do that, and solar PV places a barrier to what needs to be done, but the property in France is done and would generate roughly 30% more power for the same kWp installed.

I don't think anyone on this forum would argue with putting up more panels, but the question of "At what cost?" is always worth discussing, even if in none financial perspectives. For example, the factories only make so many panels a week, only so many get transported to X location, so prioritisation matters.
On the French side seems interesting 🤔. The 'at what cost' question is unique to each individual.

I think without flattery that 'we' are slightly ahead of the mainstream curve and miles ahead of govt way of thinking? I would be sourcing directly from China and shipping to a year round expat friend here in the village or myself. No EU required. Oh, it's SO tempting, bet I could buy it, have it shipped and fit it before I go home next month?

That is when I go to my good old moral default statement and brake. 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should'. I'll leave it as a thought exercise for the moment knowing that I could timeshift 90% of the load onto the dayshift via mechanical timed plugs..

As to and fair point on the amount of panels leaving the world's factories and their priority use in 100% occupied properties. I see your point and it is without a doubt valid.

Although until I see repeated press articles on pv panel shortage and Johnny average (not to be confused with Johnny wan spanner) swinging into action I won't worry.

The only reason I'm not hitting the button like a madman is that SWMBO would give me one of those looks, you know the one? :lol:
Last edited by Joeboy on Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

I suppose one game changer would be if you require shade on the balcony ,

Pergola constructed to panel dimensions would provide shade, minimise solar gain and give you a fully fledged system.

BUT - thats becoming too much when your needs are satisfied by the low voltage system you already have constructed.

From an environmental perspective, minimising use, even if it’s self generated, has to be one consideration, along with reduced component/stuff consumption.

Sounds like you’re meeting, what, 60-70% of your living needs.

Why go full on - you’re living a different life while there !
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:19 pm I suppose one game changer would be if you require shade on the balcony ,

Pergola constructed to panel dimensions would provide shade, minimise solar gain and give you a fully fledged system.

BUT - thats becoming too much when your needs are satisfied by the low voltage system you already have constructed.

From an environmental perspective, minimising use, even if it’s self generated, has to be one consideration, along with reduced component/stuff consumption.

Sounds like you’re meeting, what, 60-70% of your living needs.

Why go full on - you’re living a different life while there !
Absolutely BTB, the pergola was never in it. Wall hung panels with max internal shading manipulation was the game.

I am interested to see what the power count will be tomorrow?
HWT is turned down low.
Swamp cooler is running downstairs
Single electric ring is heating my evening meal
Air fryer is on stand by until tomorrow
Samsung lcd TV was new last year
Water cooler/heater no big deal
Fridge freezer is 2 years old

The only downside is my main bedroom aircon. It's a compressor type rather than inverter but I've kind of acclimatised and it runs at 25 degs. :ugeek:

Oh aye and the kettle for the 8 cups of tea per day...

The electric meter is a bit trippy, it has all these figures scrolling on it. The last one is my expected figure to change significantly.

I expect to be running at about 6kWh per day but that bedroom aircon might knock the legs out from under that guesstimate?

Of course the reality is that Welsh turbine is kicking such ass that we are literally covered back at home (45p per day), out here and even down the road in Edinburgh as well as No1's place.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Ah, I didn't know the metalwork balcony even faced the sun!? which is why I presumed a gazebo / 1/2 gazebo would be for a few panels. i'll stick my head back in the sand.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Seems it isn't just LIdl Joe, do Netto or Aldi operate over there?

https://newsrnd.com/life/2023-05-13-net ... rN64n.html

And yes, I should have guessed it would come under the "parkside" branding..

https://www.gamingdeputy.com/parkside-p ... s-at-lidl/

(now having a gawk at VDE compliancy as per the VDE-compliant feed socket)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:58 pm Ah, I didn't know the metalwork balcony even faced the sun!? which is why I presumed a gazebo / 1/2 gazebo would be for a few panels. i'll stick my head back in the sand.
All 3 balcony get the sun but the rear balcony tiled wall gets it almost all day. The two front balcony lose it after about 1pm. The rear tiled is good until after 5 pm.

Great to see those balcony pv links. I was in Netto stores somewhere in Europe, Austria maybe.. I hope to see these systems here soon. Truly a no brainer, right?

Here in the village we have Sok, Bim, A101 & Migros supermarkets. They sell up to and including washing machines, air cons, fridge freezers etc. Can't be THAT much of a leap surely?

https://www.a101.com.tr/aldin-aldin-bu-hafta-brosuru/
Last edited by Joeboy on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

14kWh yesterday (24hr window), :o ,I'll have to try a night without bedroom aircon. Run a fan instead.

The meter is accruing on T1,T2 & T3 counts.
T1 3.6kWh
T2 3.5kWh
T3 7.0kWh

I suspect its morning, afternoon and over night but ashamedly I have no idea on this or my per kWh costs... :oops:

We live, we learn. I feel better even knowing this small amount. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I have no idea if anyone would be interested but these are the prices and time of the 3 windows.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

What is that in pence per kWh?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:16 am What is that in pence per kWh?
Sorry, was having my morning swim.

Turkish power from Feb 23
06.00 to 17.00 1.58tl per kwh 4.647p per kWh (16.7p yesterday)
17.00 to 22.00 2.67tl per kwh 7.852p per kWh (27.48p yesterday)
22.00 to 06.00 0.711 per kwh 2.091p per kWh(14.63p yesterday.

An average day costs 58.81p for power. There may be vat on that. :lol: :lol:

I am now going to try and slash that 14kWh figure and loadshift. :D

Now I know I have 3 pricing levels I can charge my 5V usb batteries at night since solar isn't quite doing it only having one panel here, same with HWT and also run washing machine. They can go onto the nightshift. I've knocked the heating function off on the water dispenser and will run hwt at 30 degs for a while. I am literally just playing for percentage drop. Its hard not to sing when you already know the song! :D

Looking at my per kWh prices it's hard to see and know how pumped the average UK consumer is. :evil:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs