Octopus smart meter problems

richbee

Octopus smart meter problems

Post by richbee »

My Octopus smart meter is not happy - it hasn't shown any usage data since 9th April - Octopus say they have lost communication with the comms hub, and will need to send out an engineer, which could take 2-4 weeks!

Has anyone else had this - not sure how common it is?
Could it be caused by the high grid voltage levels I'm seeing which is causing the microinverter to trip out when the sun is out and the bateries full?

Any idea how long the meter will store usage data from a billing point of view?
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Fintray

Re: Octopus smart meter problems

Post by Fintray »

I found that I had the same problem with loss of comms.

It started after I had SSEN upgrade my cut out to 100A, prior to them coming I wired in an isolator so any future work on the consumer unit could be carried out without the removal of the main fuse. In wiring the tails from the isolator to the consumer unit the neatest route was directly over the top of the smart meter. I was only shortly after this that I noticed that my meter readings weren't showing on my Octopus dashboard, this has happened before but came back ok. I contacted Octopus to look into the problem but still no readings so I unclipped the tails and pulled them away from the top of the smart meter and reading again began to get through.
It could be that something is now blocking the comms or could of course just be a meter fault.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
richbee

Post by richbee »

Fintray wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:06 pm I found that I had the same problem with loss of comms.

It started after I had SSEN upgrade my cut out to 100A, prior to them coming I wired in an isolator so any future work on the consumer unit could be carried out without the removal of the main fuse. In wiring the tails from the isolator to the consumer unit the neatest route was directly over the top of the smart meter. I was only shortly after this that I noticed that my meter readings weren't showing on my Octopus dashboard, this has happened before but came back ok. I contacted Octopus to look into the problem but still no readings so I unclipped the tails and pulled them away from the top of the smart meter and reading again began to get through.
It could be that something is now blocking the comms or could of course just be a meter fault.
Thanks for that - interesting that yours was affected by cable routing - nothing has changed on mine recently - hope they can sort it easily - or maybe I can wiggle it or hit it with something when I'm back at the weekend :lol:
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

richbee wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:26 pm
Fintray wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:06 pm I found that I had the same problem with loss of comms.

Thanks for that - interesting that yours was affected by cable routing - nothing has changed on mine recently - hope they can sort it easily - or maybe I can wiggle it or hit it with something when I'm back at the weekend :lol:
I also think that ours is affected by the thickness of the granite walls (c. 600mm) attenuating the radio signal and anything that further reduces the signal is enough for it to drop out. I had considered moving the meter to a box outside the house.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf