Beer yeast

Share your growing tips
ecogeorge

Beer yeast

Post by ecogeorge »

I make home made beer (only kits) .
When the beer is bottled I end up with an amount of beer yeast sediment which gets washed down the drain.
Has anyone got any ideas how I could use this resource?
George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Countrypaul

Re: Beer yeast

Post by Countrypaul »

Make your own Marmite?
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

oooo googling now, anyone done this ?
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I used to put it on the compost heap. Making yeast extract could be quite an unpleasant process (having seen a TV person's reaction to the smell when looking at the fermenting anchovies for Worcester sauce I can't believe you would want it in the house!)
Good luck
A
p.s. mix it into chicken feed? However we found that any food waste with interesting bits in had to be fed separately or they would fling the mash all over the pen while getting at them.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Marmite looks very time consuming on top of my million and 1 jobs that need doing.
Going to rinse into a kilner jar and refrigerate then use some to replace the water and yeast in my next bread loaf.
Maybe remainder into a slug trap ........
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Update on beer yeast remains .
Quantity used in making elderflower wine.
Last night a loaf of bread made in the bread maker using the yeast liquor as a replacement for the liquid. Using 60:40 white to brown flour was a success.
George.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Good news about the bread. It will be interesting to see how the wine turns out. I understood that bread yeast was selected for its ability to blow gas bubbles to make the loaf rise, whereas wine yeast is intended not to make lots of gas but to maximise alcohol production.
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:01 am Good news about the bread. It will be interesting to see how the wine turns out. I understood that bread yeast was selected for its ability to blow gas bubbles to make the loaf rise, whereas wine yeast is intended not to make lots of gas but to maximise alcohol production.
I have heard the same hypothesis but also hat the yeast variety makes no diference to the Ethanol/CO2 as the chemistry is normally:

C6H12O6 -> 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2

Glucose, Fructose and Sucrose (combination of the first 2) are common, i am not sure whether other sugars react similarly. I can certainly beieve some yeasts might tolerate a higher concentration of alcohol and thereforebe more suitable for wine. Have you found any reference that supports the hypothesis about bread/wine yeasts? My father often used bread yeast for wine making and by the results of various competition judges the results were clearly more than acceptable :D
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Countrypaul wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:23 pm
AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:01 am Good news about the bread. It will be interesting to see how the wine turns out. I understood that bread yeast was selected for its ability to blow gas bubbles to make the loaf rise, whereas wine yeast is intended not to make lots of gas but to maximise alcohol production.
I have heard the same hypothesis but also hat the yeast variety makes no diference to the Ethanol/CO2 as the chemistry is normally:

Glucose, Fructose and Sucrose (combination of the first 2) are common, i am not sure whether other sugars react similarly. I can certainly beieve some yeasts might tolerate a higher concentration of alcohol and thereforebe more suitable for wine. Have you found any reference that supports the hypothesis about bread/wine yeasts? My father often used bread yeast for wine making and by the results of various competition judges the results were clearly more than acceptable :D
I used a few tubs of Malt extract back on the day before going full all grain brewing. I seem to remember maltose & dextrose as body additions. Different yeast strains had higher or lower finishing gravity. I liked a beer that finished about 1.014. Gave the beer body. Some of the wild yeast strains I used from Belguim would rip through the sugars at an alarming rate but would throw off different esters which are a keynote in many Belgian beers. I also had a crack at my own brewing candy which was fun.

My only attempt at a spent grain loaf could still be used today as a doorstop. :D

These guys are a good brewshop.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... tBEALw_wcB

At £14 a pack, it pays to grow the culture first then keep samples in test tubes in the fridge. I loved all that!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Countrypaul wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:23 pm

I agree that the chemistry must be the same, and had a memory that the fast gas production also blew off alcohol with the CO2 (which is why one of my books says add syrup rather than dry sugar, or the frothing off of CO2 nucleating on the crystals will drive off alcohol at the same time.) However I think that the page below explains that beer yeast working aerobically at the surface will be using up sugars to multiply quickly, rather than working anaerobically to make alcohol...
ref is "The Pan Book of Winemaking, BCA Turner, 1964, 3rd printing 1970."