Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Andy

Re: 37GWp of UK solar projects pipelined

Post by Andy »

That's why I can't find any decent panels for my barn :<
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

When the sun shines just this new "pipeline" solar will fulfil all our grid needs. Not counting existing solar!

Not counting wind, not counting nuclear/FF gas that cannot be turned off.

Suddenly "storage" becomes our biggest problem!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:53 am When the sun shines just this new "pipeline" solar will fulfil all our grid needs. Not counting existing solar!

Not quite as it will be a bit like Nowty Towers, yes in Summer, but no in Winter.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Since power consumption tends to peak in the evening when PV output is already dropping is it likely that any of these developments will include some storage to allow shifting of grid supply to the peak evening time (at least in summer)? I guess it might also allow a smaller (less expensive) connection to the grid if they can store and spread the power they produce.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:20 pm
Stinsy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:53 am When the sun shines just this new "pipeline" solar will fulfil all our grid needs. Not counting existing solar!

Not quite as it will be a bit like Nowty Towers, yes in Summer, but no in Winter.
My point was "when the sun shines" the grid will be massively oversupplied!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mart

Post by Mart »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:05 pm
nowty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:20 pm

My point was "when the sun shines" the grid will be massively oversupplied!
Yep, gonna need some storage. Great chance to encourage street and workplace charging for BEV's when folk are in work.

Germany already has ~54GWp, and are aiming to install over 15GWp pa for a 200GWp figure at the end of 2030.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
billi

Post by billi »

exactly , as somewhere that electricity has to come from , in a more and more electric world

heating , hot water , electric transport , P2G , .... , export
Germany already has ~54GWp, and are aiming to install over 15GWp pa for a 200GWp figure at the end of 2030.
True and newbuilts must have to have a PV roof , but will see what comes true
billi

Post by billi »

well typical coincidence this morning , that this Graph was just published

For many reasons it makes sense to connect renewable sources , overcoming national borders

The so called " intermittency " just for Wind and Solar power discussion , seems a bit "over-accelerated" in my eyes

and a clever network between countries might be reducing a lot of (national) storage

Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

billi wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:42 am well typical coincidence this morning , that this Graph was just published

For many reasons it makes sense to connect renewable sources , overcoming national borders

The so called " intermittency " just for Wind and Solar power discussion , seems a bit "over-accelerated" in my eyes

and a clever network between countries might be reducing a lot of (national) storage

That's a real eye opener billi. When Sarah Merrick advised that wind tends to cover the months when solar declines I naturally took it onboard but hadn't appreciated how closely that trend has been followed for the last decade. Appreciate we are still going to require a huge capacity of storage in the uk to make up for slack periods.
Talking of slack periods, then accelerating the development and build out of tidal energy must surely be forcussed upon too!