Fastest charge inverters

sharpener

Re: Fastest charge inverters

Post by sharpener »

Moxi wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:14 am Are you speaking from experience there sharpener?
No but I have followed developments for some years while planning a thermal store, and their changes of spec and target markets have not filled me with confidence. Also lots of horror stories on here and BuildHub.
Moxi wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:14 am
happily with the latest development of the under counter HWC it looks like my wait has been answered.
Is this a reference to the Heat Geek "combi boiler for heat pumps?" Lots of discussion and technical analysis on https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/392 ... -for-ashp/.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

sharpener wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:23 am
Moxi wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:14 am Are you speaking from experience there sharpener?
No but I have followed developments for some years while planning a thermal store, and their changes of spec and target markets have not filled me with confidence. Also lots of horror stories on here and BuildHub.
Moxi wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:14 am
happily with the latest development of the under counter HWC it looks like my wait has been answered.
Is this a reference to the Heat Geek "combi boiler for heat pumps?" Lots of discussion and technical analysis on https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/392 ... -for-ashp/.
Thanks for the links, I will have a read when the kids have gone to bed later and I can think straight!

I enjoy reading about both items as there’s a lot of different opinions and guidance out there so I work on gaining enough information to try and sort the wheat from the chaff.

Moxi
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Looks like i am doing this myself.

My possible installer from south of england has decided he doesnt want to come up and do it.
The local installer who said they would be in touch this week has just told me he refuses to fit a system that is not standard.

I am apparently in the wrong to of bought my batteries first, i am risking my life and the lives of others by fitting something not branded🙄, and only if i can provide him written confirmation of victron saying the bms and batteries are compatible, will he think of quoting.
He has no issue installing a victron system with pylontecs, but will not do so knowing i have other batteries.

I get the hesitation, but the amount of bollux i have just had to listen to on the phone was quite impressive.

Lesson learned folks. If you want someone to do the wiring to code for you, buy pylontecs first to get the system installed, then expand. The irony being you can then only have the installer install to size for the pylontec system, not what you want.

No point arguing with the guy. Even if i gave him the documentation proving complience there would be a hooha.

It looks like i will be sticking to existing G98.
I looked over SSE's G99 fast track form last night and they require installer qualification details to be given for that also.
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
nowty

Post by nowty »

I lot on here have seen it, done it and have the T shirt.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

NoraBatty wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:58 am Looks like i am doing this myself.
I looked over SSE's G99 fast track form last night and they require installer qualification details to be given for that also.
I am sure from what you have already written you will do a better job than many so-called professionals.

Forgot to mention the Victron "Wiring Unlimited" download, another good source of advice. There is also the IET Code of Practice for EESS, quite expensive but covers UK practice more thoroughly.

Best of luck with it!
zappi 7kW EVCS
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

sharpener wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:30 pm
NoraBatty wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:58 am Looks like i am doing this myself.
There is also the IET Code of Practice for EESS, quite expensive but covers UK practice more thoroughly.

Best of luck with it!
Thanks for this.
Already got the victron gumpf to troll through but will have a looksee at that and see if i can get it. 👍
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

NoraBatty wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:38 pm
Already got the victron gumpf to troll through but will have a looksee at that and see if i can get it. 👍
Which model Victron are you thinking of installing?
zappi 7kW EVCS
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

The multi II 48/5000
just cap it at 3.68.

Putting together a rough shopping list tonight.

In other news my enclosures have arrived in port. So i may have a nice weekend project 👍
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

A few wrinkles I learnt along the way:

They will try and sell you a Mk3 dongle to programme it. You don't need this, it can all be done over the web interface using VRM. As I discovered when mine didn't work. I got a refund.

Unless you need the additonal ports on a separate Cerbo the -GX version is good as it is one less box. And a bit cheaper.

Under UK regs it can't share an RCD with any other circuit, it needs its own. And a lockable two-pole isolator, though some argue being able to lock off the RCD is sufficient. Also you must have an earth spike for when the grid fails and it switches to UPS mode (otherwise you may not be protected against shock).

If you haven't got an isolator on the incoming meter tails it helps to get one fitted, then you can work on yr system at leisure in (almost) complete saftey. A bypass switch round the inverter is also good for keeping everything going in case you want to work on it (or it fails).

All possibilities are shown here but if you don't have anything connected to AC-in you do not need an external meter or current sensor, the internal one is sufficient,

HTH with your shopping list and ATB
zappi 7kW EVCS
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

NoraBatty wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:39 pm Following on from the snuggy inverter thread,

Which inverters out there have the potential to charge batteries from the grid fastest with amp draw vs kwh.

Im looking at victron, either multiplus or quattro, but are there any others that have the larger capabilities?

As i am on agile import, and happy with it, (years average 17p/ kwh) What matters most, is being able to fill the batteries (45kwh currently) as fast and cheaply as possible.

im on fixed 15p/kwh export, and obviously with a fixed price It doesnt matter so much about higher discharge ability, as the DNO, SSE may restrict me to 3.68kwh when whatever request is put in.

I plan to maximise solar to reduce the bills and top the batteries up, but take advantage of being able to produce income via export, whilst the ability still exists.

I have a feeling this is something that will soon change, so want to maximise what i can now.

Unsure if that looks like going all DC coupled, or a mixture of AC and DC or what, yet.
I have a feeling the 8kwh quattro will do all i want, fast enough, and handle the houses demands, but with a CT clamp to reduce export to whatever the DNO demand.

Is there anything else, close to it out there, without spending even more money?
Are you getting your kWh & kW somewhat muddled up a bit here? My understanding is that you are talking about an 8kW unit and 3.68kW export limit, but you have actually stated them as kWh. I’m not being picky, a tad pedantic perhaps, because the distinction is quite important. The kWh unit is a measure of battery capacity - in the context of this discussion. Think of the kW (power) as speed, and kWh (battery capacity) as distance and you have the basis for understanding the subtle but important distinction between the two.

Hope this helps - Rob