Fastest charge inverters

Moxi

Re: Fastest charge inverters

Post by Moxi »

Are you speaking from experience there sharpener?

OGW used to sing the praises for his sunamp, I have read that they sometimes split and spill the liquid but not much else, I was contemplating one at one point but I decided to hold off and see how ASHP developed as the lure of a potential 4 to 1 advantage was too good to pass up on - happily with the latest development of the under counter HWC it looks like my wait has been answered. Once the remainder of this years GCH figures have been collected I will have enough information to ensure that the system we plump for will do the job required, plus who knows what extra improvements/ breakthroughs will occur in the second half of 2024?

I saw on Linkedin yesterday that one ASHP installer had installed everything in a wooden lean to specially added to the house for the job, this was something that I had been wondering if it was possible for quite some time, I knew Nowty had done his own DIY similar set up but seeing that installers were also now starting to provide a similar "approved" install was another positive step. Sadly I am awful at social media stuff and I cannot find the article to even attempt to paste a link here - and I even followed the installer so I could find the article again but alas to no avail :whako: :surrender:

Moxi
Krill

Post by Krill »

Bimble Solar have 5% off Victron equipment (code VIC5JULY) if that helps. Just checking in case you aren't signed up to their emails.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Thanks Krill, ive been looking at bimbles site constantly, but indeed i am not signed up to their emails.
Comes in handy.

Handy to know about sun amps too.
There must be another phase change solution out there.

At one point i did conemplate insulating then pouring a slab under the suspended wooden floor, and embedding heating element or pipe in it, to heat it then divert from the slab as a massive heat sink.

The suspended floor is 5ft deep. And a 50m2 area, so would hold alot of energy if insulated well.

The only thing i am unsure of is flooding potential. Getting it wrong and filling the void 50% with concrete, if the area does flood, would be a complete disaster.
Despite being on the side of a valley, so elevated from real flooding, the road outside does flood, and the back garden gets very waterlogged.
We are end terrace, and the lowest of 3 houses on a slope. Each house has what can only be described as a clay "drainage" pipe, joining each sub basement in the line.
I cannot see any other point for it other than drainage. It isnt old sewer line as that is clearly demarked on the plans from when the terrace was built, outside of the footprint.
We have an incoming pipe from the neighbours, and they have the same from their neighbour, but as we are end terrace, it just, stops.
More information required before experiments can occur.
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Moxi wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:14 am I saw on Linkedin yesterday that one ASHP installer had installed everything in a wooden lean to specially added to the house for the job, this was something that I had been wondering if it was possible for quite some time, I knew Nowty had done his own DIY similar set up but seeing that installers were also now starting to provide a similar "approved" install was another positive step. Sadly I am awful at social media stuff and I cannot find the article to even attempt to paste a link here - and I even followed the installer so I could find the article again but alas to no avail :whako: :surrender:

Moxi
Moxi, I'm sure I have seen a video on Youtube with exactly that but I've just had a quick look and can't find where it is. If I come across it I'll post a link. :xx:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Fintray,

Thank you, you post made me think about the LinkedIn post again and I realised it was a comment by Graham Hendra so I checked his recent comments and I found the article by a gentleman called Graeme Lowe:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/graeme-l ... member_ios

It amazes me that the big players in the industry and the agencies providing guidance don't point this out as a ready option for people who have no internal space but reasonable outside space? It does feel like a bit of a feeding frenzy for the low hanging fruit most of the time and it really buoys me up when I find articles like these where the installers really care about their craft.

Moxi
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Moxi wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:25 am Fintray,

Thank you, you post made me think about the LinkedIn post again and I realised it was a comment by Graham Hendra so I checked his recent comments and I found the article by a gentleman called Graeme Lowe:

It amazes me that the big players in the industry and the agencies providing guidance don't point this out as a ready option for people who have no internal space but reasonable outside space? It does feel like a bit of a feeding frenzy for the low hanging fruit most of the time and it really buoys me up when I find articles like these where the installers really care about their craft.

Moxi
Glad you managed to find it Moxi, it's not the same one I was thinking of so in that case there must be a few out there (no pun intended!).
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:10 pm
Moxi wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:25 am Fintray,

Moxi
Glad you managed to find it Moxi, it's not the same one I was thinking of so in that case there must be a few out there (no pun intended!).
One day I will get round to adding an aesthetic cover to mine. :xx:

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AGT

Post by AGT »

NoraBatty wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:26 am Thanks Krill, ive been looking at bimbles site constantly, but indeed i am not signed up to their emails.
Comes in handy.

Handy to know about sun amps too.
There must be another phase change solution out there.

At one point i did conemplate insulating then pouring a slab under the suspended wooden floor, and embedding heating element or pipe in it, to heat it then divert from the slab as a massive heat sink.

The suspended floor is 5ft deep. And a 50m2 area, so would hold alot of energy if insulated well.

The only thing i am unsure of is flooding potential. Getting it wrong and filling the void 50% with concrete, if the area does flood, would be a complete disaster.
Despite being on the side of a valley, so elevated from real flooding, the road outside does flood, and the back garden gets very waterlogged.
We are end terrace, and the lowest of 3 houses on a slope. Each house has what can only be described as a clay "drainage" pipe, joining each sub basement in the line.
I cannot see any other point for it other than drainage. It isnt old sewer line as that is clearly demarked on the plans from when the terrace was built, outside of the footprint.
We have an incoming pipe from the neighbours, and they have the same from their neighbour, but as we are end terrace, it just, stops.
More information required before experiments can occur.

Lots of people fill voids with rigid polystyrene, you get them in 500mm thickeness to save mass fill of hardcore.( like filling in indoor swimming pools)
I would be wary about doing this as suspended timber floors wil have air bricks for sub floor ventilation, a wholistic approach would need to be considered.

One respected installed on the build hub forum wouldn’t touch sunamp stuff anymore, not worth the grief according to him, all his previous advise has been good..
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Yes i would create an insulation box for the concrete if i did it, but continued air flow wouldnt be an issue. I could have a 50cm thick slab poured and still have a generously deep crawl space that has more than adequate airflow, but wont risk the potential flooding.
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Sharpener wrote:
You would think that phase change was a relatively simple passive technology but Sunamp have made a real dog's breakfast of it, the material is OK but their engineering round it is crap. Avoid!
Moxi wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:14 am Are you speaking from experience there sharpener?

OGW used to sing the praises for his sunamp, I have read that they sometimes split and spill the liquid but not much else, I was contemplating one at one point but I decided to hold off and see how ASHP developed as the lure of a potential 4 to 1 advantage was too good to pass up on
I have only come across two Sunamp installs and mentioned on here before, but both had to be ripped out after they caused no end of problems for the owners, they both had the majority of the cells which had split open and leaked their salt residue all over, they performed poorly and Sunamp were a nightmare to deal with, taking many months to agree anything was ever wrong let alone needed fixing. Granted for both installs this was the first generation cells, but I also wouldn't want to ever install them from Sunamp after speaking to the hassle the owners had to deal with.
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6