PV investment & other RE investments

Joeboy

PV investment & other RE investments

Post by Joeboy »

Set this up over here Nowty in case it grows?
nowty wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:13 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:13 am Not sure i'll hear back but have contacted three of solar funds I am in to see if they can supply me with a kWh PA figure per £10k of investment.
My back of fagpacket calculations for my top three renewable wind / solar funds, based on total annual generation divided by £10k of Net Asset Value comes out at an average of around 10 MWh per £10k invested.

UK Greencoat Wind - 13 MWh
Bluefield Solar Fund - 9 MWh
Renewables Infrastructure - 8 MWh
Next Energy Solar Fund - 12 MWh

In comparison ripple WT1 and WT2 where I have almost a £10k investment is forecast to generate 16 MWh
There are a number of threads of thought coming together in my head on this idea of stepping away from govt req to fund 'our' own transition away from FF and in particular despot FF. The Germans are fairly regretting their reliance on Russia.

We have recently sold a property and will be investing that cash in RE investments. This is me beginning the circling process within my own mind to choose companies new or further investment. I found US solar the other day, handy with Biden's pro RE stance? At the moment I am in Italy, England, Scotland, Wales, Spain and Australia for RE. Might buy a few K of US Solar so I am represented across the water?

I am fortunate in that I have retired early and live relatively frugally so can choose to do good with a percentage of my assets. Nowty, a potential 58MWh pa without taking into account the vast output of your systems or other associated RE investments is an astonishing figure for one couple to have made. :shock:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mart

Re: PV investment & other RE investments

Post by Mart »

I love the idea of green investments. It also answers the challenge against demand side PV subsidies (and other RE) suggesting that those without a suitable roof couldn't take part.

We have about 20 investments via Abundance in PV, wind, bio-energy, home efficiency improvements etc etc.. I like to think that these at least help us to offset energy we consume in excess of our PV generation, such as GCH, transportation of goods etc etc..

Also invested in a couple of BEV manufacturers, such as Tesla, but I don't know how that stacks up green wise, but when made I was genuinely trying to support the BEV movement.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
nowty

Post by nowty »

These are my greenest investments in my Pension fund and ISA.

They are all quoted investments on the London Stock Exchange. I have listed them in order of their market capitalisation size so you get an idea of how large each company is.

Investment / Code / Company Size
Greencoat UK Wind (UKW) £3,640m
Renewables Infrastructure (TRIG) £3,137m
ITM Power (ITM) £2,180m
CERES Power (CWR) £1,440m
Impax Environmental Markets (IEM) £1,380m
SDCL Energy Efficiency Income (SEIT) £1,212m
GCP Infrastructure Investments (GCP) £1,162m
John Laing Environmental Assets (JLEN) £737m
Foresight Solar Fund (FSFL), £693m
Gresham House Energy Storage (GRID) £670m
Next Energy Solar Fund (NESF) £613m
Bluefield Solar Income Fund (BSIF) £657m
Octopus Renewables Infrastructure (ORIT) £644m
Gore Street Energy Storage Fund (GSF) £399m
US Solar Fund (USFP) £304m
Ecofin Global Utilities (EGL) £228m
Ecofin US Renewables Infrastructure (RNEP) £134m
Aquila Energy Efficiency Trust (AEET) £77m
Premier Miton Glb Renewables Trust (PMGR) £35m
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:07 pm Set this up over here Nowty in case it grows?
Joeboy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:13 am Not sure i'll hear back but have contacted three of solar funds I am in to see if they can supply me with a kWh PA figure per £10k of investment.
My back of fagpacket calculations for my top three renewable wind / solar funds, based on total annual generation divided by £10k of Net Asset Value comes out at an average of around 10 MWh per £10k invested.

In comparison ripple WT1 and WT2 where I have almost a £10k investment is forecast to generate 16 MWh
There are a number of threads of thought coming together in my head on this idea of stepping away from govt req to fund 'our' own transition away from FF and in particular despot FF. The Germans are fairly regretting their reliance on Russia.

We have recently sold a property and will be investing that cash in RE investments. This is me beginning the circling process within my own mind to choose companies new or further investment. I found US solar the other day, handy with Biden's pro RE stance? At the moment I am in Italy, England, Scotland, Wales, Spain and Australia for RE. Might buy a few K of US Solar so I am represented across the water?

I am fortunate in that I have retired early and live relatively frugally so can choose to do good with a percentage of my assets. Nowty, a potential 58MWh pa without taking into account the vast output of your systems or other associated RE investments is an astonishing figure for one couple to have made. :shock:
Great piece JB, I love what you are planning to do there as we've nearly all our capital invested in renewables/ESG etc and what a buzz we get from doing so as well. With only one out of thirty currently showing any signs of undue stress. OK, it's worth but 10% of it's purchase cost but being ever the optimist we're staying with it in the belief that it's time will come.
Just thought to post the following in case it is of interest. Came across an article from the US recently entitled something curiously called a circumvention case! Apparently it's to do with one US company complaining about solar panel imports from four Asian countries, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, and seeking to have import taxes imposed upon them. Seems it will take six months to investigate with taxes possibly being imposed retrospectively. Meanwhile most large PV projects will be put on hold with the possible loss of 70k jobs to the industry.
I couldn't find the final article but the link below is to an earlier part of the story which sadly doesn't have a happy ending.... as yet?

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2022/04/13/ ... -159341337
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Adokforme wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:00 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:07 pm Set this up over here Nowty in case it grows?

Great piece JB, I love what you are planning to do there as we've nearly all our capital invested in renewables/ESG etc and what a buzz we get from doing so as well. With only one out of thirty currently showing any signs of undue stress. OK, it's worth but 10% of it's purchase cost but being ever the optimist we're staying with it in the belief that it's time will come.
Just thought to post the following in case it is of interest. Came across an article from the US recently entitled something curiously called a circumvention case! Apparently it's to do with one US company complaining about solar panel imports from four Asian countries, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, and seeking to have import taxes imposed upon them. Seems it will take six months to investigate with taxes possibly being imposed retrospectively. Meanwhile most large PV projects will be put on hold with the possible loss of 70k jobs to the industry.
I couldn't find the final article but the link below is to an earlier part of the story which sadly doesn't have a happy ending.... as yet?

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2022/04/13/ ... -159341337
Nice one on the article, I would like to add more solar and a bit more WT to the portfolio so US Solar and Greencoat would cover it and net a decent div to reinvest in more or if i could source a bit more hydroturbine investment. I only have 1 straight up investment in Hydro in the portfolio and even tried to see if there were any sellers on the 5 other hydro sites I know of up here but to no avail. No problem as i'll keep going with the PV, WT & grid storage.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:17 pm These are my greenest investments in my Pension fund and ISA.

They are all quoted investments on the London Stock Exchange. I have listed them in order of their market capitalisation size so you get an idea of how large each company is.

Investment / Code / Company Size
Greencoat UK Wind (UKW) £3,640m
Renewables Infrastructure (TRIG) £3,137m
ITM Power (ITM) £2,180m
CERES Power (CWR) £1,440m
Impax Environmental Markets (IEM) £1,380m
SDCL Energy Efficiency Income (SEIT) £1,212m
GCP Infrastructure Investments (GCP) £1,162m
John Laing Environmental Assets (JLEN) £737m
Foresight Solar Fund (FSFL), £693m
Gresham House Energy Storage (GRID) £670m
Next Energy Solar Fund (NESF) £613m
Bluefield Solar Income Fund (BSIF) £657m
Octopus Renewables Infrastructure (ORIT) £644m
Gore Street Energy Storage Fund (GSF) £399m
US Solar Fund (USFP) £304m
Ecofin Global Utilities (EGL) £228m
Ecofin US Renewables Infrastructure (RNEP) £134m
Aquila Energy Efficiency Trust (AEET) £77m
Premier Miton Glb Renewables Trust (PMGR) £35m
Cheers Nowty! I am in 5 of these as well.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Hi all.

I looked at investing in these funds. This is where I got to:

Most of them are closed ends funds (as compared to open ended funds). That is, the total amount of funds invested in them generally doesn't grow. You can buy a share in a fund such as Greencoat UK wind, but only if someone else (or some other people) sell their share(s). The net amount invested in UK wind remains unchanged (ignoring changes in the value thereof). There's no increase in the total amount of funding. That is, you haven't actually contributed to more renewable energy production. E.g. While £10k invested in Greencoat results in you 'buying' 13MWh or electricity generation, it will result in 0MWh of -increased- generation. It would have been generated anyway.

If you invest in -new subscriptions- by these funds (to fund new wind farms, for example, or more likely buy existing ones from developers or other owners), then you're more likely to be able to claim that you're money will result in marginal increased generation (although the amount's not entirely clear). Or if you invest in open ended funds which have to invest in renewables (as your increased funds will force them to find more renewable energy to buy, driving development).

Abundance and Energy 4 All projects tend to be better (and Ripple I think), as you are directly funding the build out of marginal renewable generation. All other things being equal, it is probably happening faster due to your investment.

Ultimately, I just decided to pay monehy each month into carbon offsetting schemes focused on (among other things) building renewable energy capacity in poorer countries that tend to burn more coal. Sure I don't get a return, but the carbon bang for my buck looked a lot higher, reflecting that land prices etc. are lower in these places (I'll get some figures when I can). And given my massive family historic emissions, I feel I owe the world quite a bit!

Incidentally, I'm not inclined to incentivise further renewables build out in the UK (so am not going for Ripple) as we already don't burn much coal. I'll have a much bigger impact, for less money, if I focus on coal dependent countries.

Apologies that's a bit rushed, but I did quite a lot of thinking about this, so thought I'd contribute.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

I take my hat off to you Sir, as someone who is in it for the planet rather than a return.

Desp
Blah blah blah
billi

Post by billi »

The Germans are fairly regretting their reliance on Russia.
And the British on their import of wood fuel from American forests ;) , i hope
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

billi wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:25 pm
The Germans are fairly regretting their reliance on Russia.
And the British on their import of wood fuel from American forests ;) , i hope
The two situations ( fueling the ability of an unencumbered
idiot to commit genocide or Drax power stations) don't really compare that well? In levels of severity, I'll take the trees any day. Although I do my own, not rely on others when it comes to trees.

Which again brings me back to my original point at Germany's regrets to have backed themselves into a corner where they can't just cut all fuel purchases from Russia as they don't have the ability to make up the shortfall. NOT a place they want to be, or indeed anyone would given the choice.

That wasn't the point anyway, I used Germany/Russia as a current example of how it would be better to be independent in power generation not beholden to the political whims and actions of others. That's just a macro example, at micro scale where I live I like to make the RE choices for myself and not to be beholden to others (political landscape) while doing some good. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs