Next Storm

AE-NMidlands

Re: Next Storm

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pm That's the only drawback with my whole house backup system, sometimes we get a bad flicker but no outage, its quite rare, but my Sunny Island is too sensitive and decides to cut the grid off and go full Off Grid mode so the lights go out for a couple of seconds. I don't lose the internet as that's on a UPS, but I have to reset, the clock on the cooker, the clock for the kitchen heated floor and reset the cat flap.
Your catflap is on the mains? Is that a lash-up to avoid buying batteries (in which case I approve,) or a deeper cunning plan?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 pm Storm is building and so far six flickers but no full offgrid.. :twisted:
That's the only drawback with my whole house backup system, sometimes we get a bad flicker but no outage, its quite rare, but my Sunny Island is too sensitive and decides to cut the grid off and go full Off Grid mode so the lights go out for a couple of seconds. I don't lose the internet as that's on a UPS, but I have to reset, the clock on the cooker, the clock for the kitchen heated floor and reset the cat flap.
Can I while aligning myself with you use one of the buzz phrases of the year? 'First world problem'. In saying that, totally agree in.particular with the cooker timer. Love the idea of a resettable cat flap. That is epic! :) Spoke with Stinsy about UPS a couple of month back. On my to do list and sooner rather than later. Speaking to SWMBO about the most excellent tale of The three little pigs. Relevant to the feelings from today.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:30 pm
nowty wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pm That's the only drawback with my whole house backup system, sometimes we get a bad flicker but no outage, its quite rare, but my Sunny Island is too sensitive and decides to cut the grid off and go full Off Grid mode so the lights go out for a couple of seconds. I don't lose the internet as that's on a UPS, but I have to reset, the clock on the cooker, the clock for the kitchen heated floor and reset the cat flap.
Your catflap is on the mains? Is that a lash-up to avoid buying batteries (in which case I approve,) or a deeper cunning plan?
A
It reads the cats microchip so will only let our cat in, and it also has a night time mode so wont let the cat out after dark. I don't quite understand why I need to reset it as it has a battery backup, but the reset seems to be for the night time mode.
Last edited by nowty on Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:48 pm It reads the cats microchip so will only let our cat in, and it also has a night time mode so wont let the cat out after dark. I don't quite understand why I need reset it as it has a battery backup, but the reset seems to be for the night time mode.
Although ours is also linked to the cat's microchip the extra feature wouldn't work here: ours wakes me up and demands to be fed sometime in the small hours and I think she goes out "exploring" after that.
I'm glad I have bought a cheaper one, so she that can go in and out without disturbing me/us any more often! Maybe in and out all night long in the summer, for all I know...
I wouldn't mind losing the battery purchases though.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 pm Storm is building and so far six flickers but no full offgrid.. :twisted:
Lucky you, ours went off at 16:15hrs and just back on, generator definately at the top of my to do list... :shock:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:27 pm
Lucky you, ours went off at 16:15hrs and just back on, generator definately at the top of my to do list... :shock:
With a full battery stack and that new inverter, Joeboy is itching to have a FULL outage. :mrgreen:

Careful what you wish for they say !
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:33 pm
With a full battery stack and that new inverter, Joeboy is itching to have a FULL outage. :mrgreen:

He just needs to flick the breaker and not touch it for a few days!
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:54 pm
nowty wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:33 pm

He just needs to flick the breaker and not touch it for a few days!
Me n SWMBO have been literally doing just that in the last few minutes. I honestly can't put into words how smashing this is. WS is on and if on the perfect curve of 50W lights & net hub for 16 hrs per we'd with a fair wind, run for 18 days starting from 100% soc (yeah I know, THAT ain't happening).

Nonetheless, WAY better than where we would have been yesterday if it all went tits up. 8-)

Marshman, will run in the earth bond next few days. Have experienced 440V faulting offshore with poor earthing! Off out tomorrow with the lads leaving SWMBO to oversee the replacement Smet2 meter & IHD pairing. Surely she will have better luck? :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Beautiful clear skies and fresh air post storm, birds tweeting and 1kW coming in from the PV.. Not seen that for a while!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs