Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Re: Next Storm

Post by Stinsy »

How much charge do you have in the batteries? When do you plan a grid failure simulation?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 pm How much charge do you have in the batteries? When do you plan a grid failure simulation?
Chill man, just got it fitted! :)

Switched off the goodwe and have run up a 1500W heater.

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:26 pm
Chill man, just got it fitted! :)

Ha ha!

Given you're not yet on a toU tariff (if I've been paying attention), then there is no downside to keeping a decent amount of power in your batteries just for emergencies (as much as 70-80% is practical). Once you're on a ToU tariff you'll be charging during the cheap period and discharging the rest fo the time. There is the possibility that the outage will occur once your batteries are already depleted in which case you'll have none left to use in an outage. You could "save" some battery capacity for use in an outage, but that'd mean using more peak grid power than you need to...

BTW does the inverter have an adjustable cut-off voltage? If so what have you set it to?

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Thanks lads,
I have enjoyed the thought process and act of closing the loop on the system. It was a proper 'aha!!' moment yesterday and I've always liked them. :D

Had a bet with myself as to who'd point out the flat battery scenario (Stinsy, you win). 8-)

Can only plan so far within the limitations of the environmental bounty available (in this case Octopus&grid) and Winter solar...

Not sure what the cutoff voltage is if any as I went in the grand old tradition of VCR hook up and have not looked at the manual. I'm checking the top end tonight at 100% soc. Charge is ongoing. I'll run it down next couple of days and see what's watt. If I'm using this for real I'll be closely monitoring power in/out.

Quite invigorating this afternoon as the inverter arrived unexpectedly and the storm was also arriving and has been building while I've worked. Feel like a righteous dude protecting the family doing this job. Must be the caveman in me.

Hooked up the remote switch so it is closest to garage internal door. With fortune on my side I'll have fitted this and never need it. Upgraded the leads between inverter and battery too. Easy job with large positive outcome, come the day. Cheers! :D

Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Marshman, thank you. Much appreciated. Good to see your gear. :twisted: I am pretty sure that when grid fails here the goodwe unit breaks a internal relay so I cannot backfeed to a linesman from my stack. Excellent point and worth repeating as we go forward.

I'll be honest and say that the implications of having a grid linked system with an independent system running alongside only arrived fully in my mind yesterday morning. I'll happily take the 100-250W generated by the 2nd system thru the Winter day if the grid is down. Suddenly all those low energy light bulbs make sense in a whole new way. 3rd flicker of lights just thru and the 4th...5th, 6th. Classic FM' s still playing and my rechargeable AA's are on s/by ready to bring the tunes! :)

Storm is building and so far six flickers but no full offgrid.. :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fully charged to 100% and stack lights are all off.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Go on then...

Get your extension reel out...

I want a full test!

nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 pm Storm is building and so far six flickers but no full offgrid.. :twisted:
That's the only drawback with my whole house backup system, sometimes we get a bad flicker but no outage, its quite rare, but my Sunny Island is too sensitive and decides to cut the grid off and go full Off Grid mode so the lights go out for a couple of seconds. I don't lose the internet as that's on a UPS, but I have to reset, the clock on the cooker, the clock for the kitchen heated floor and reset the cat flap.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3