Third party power/battery manager

pet_griffin

Third party power/battery manager

Post by pet_griffin »

Hi
We moved into our current home about 18 months ago and inherited a 4 kW PV system with a Solax SK-SU3700 inverter and 2 * 4.7 kWh Pylon Extra2000 batteries. The system was installed in 2015 by Solar Dawn, who went into administration 2 years later, so it is not maintained. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to register the system with Solax so have no way of monitoring it, apart from a home-grown Python script that scrapes the inverter web interface intermittently and extracts the current/daily/total power gen - AFAIK the inverter does not expose any info about the battery status etc.
We also have a myEnergi Zappi car charger and I noticed the other evening that we were drawing 3.6 kW from the grid while cooking supper. I checked the LED on the inverter and the battery was 95% full, so don’t understand why we were using power from the grid instead of power from the battery. We are a completely electric home (heating, cooking, hot water etc.) so I would like more control over power usage to try to minimise electricity charges. Are there any third party battery/power managers available for consumers that people could recommend? Or do we need to start from scratch with a “modern” battery/inverter system? Many thanks!
Fintray

Re: Third party power/battery manager

Post by Fintray »

Welcome to the forum, hopefully someone will be along to offer some advice on your system.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
AGT

Post by AGT »

If you have the Zappi, you should look at the other products they offer, as Harvey, Eddii they all integrate with each other for a solution to utilise power efficiently.
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Since your system was installed in 2015, are is it a FITS system - if so changng things may cause problems maintaining the FITS eligibility.

I would agree with AGT if you are looking at a solar diverter and have a Zappi the Eddi would certainly be the first to consider.

Your batteries are likely quite old, have you read this thread as it might give you some more information: https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=704
pet_griffin

Post by pet_griffin »

Thanks for the various comments. Have been considering an Eddi but need to get my head around how it works. We have a three phase supply from the grid and the distribution board is a dog's dinner so need to balance the loads in our house across the various phases and fit an Eddi once we have done that. Will also take a look at the Pylontech manual