ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Andy

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by Andy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:38 pm Please let that be the record for this job. Salesman arrived at 13.30hrs I did say TG in the enquiry form.

Salesman departed at 13.32hrs.

CR Smith don't do triple glazing, tg is a gimmick really, tg doesn't have good thermal efficiency, it's really troublesome, we've never dealt in it. Places HUGE strain on the hinges (I'll accept this last at huge not HUGE as our openers are relatively small.

OK, next!

Everest failed
Anglian failed
Cr Smith failed

Thistle quoting Tuesday
Bon Accord quoting Wednesday
Pinefield glass quoting Thursday

Advanced group in East Kilbride & DX home improvements Bellshill quoting off drawings before survey.

What a time! :lol:
I had the same problem. Went with pinefield glass which aren't too far from you. They are ok, but some needed fettling later as screws were not tight enough. If I feel better tomorrow I'll go and see what the differential is. The plastic frame is always the weak bit thermally.

One problem is getting the thermal values off them. Often it is the glass only. I found I needed to push for more on the frames.
Last edited by Andy on Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Post by Andy »

shirehorse99 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:39 pm Our first quite from Everest a few years ago was 42k!
After speaking to his manager they quoted 27k
After laughing in his face and then telling him to leave he said 17k
They phoned me back 3 days later with 14k
And we settled on 10.5k

Full house ( 1bay, 3 bathroom ,7 others) and French doors in kitchen and 70mm composite front door
I hate that part of the process. When I stupidly told one of them what my job was, the quote was instantly double any others.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Andy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:44 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:38 pm Please let that be the record for this job. Salesman arrived at 13.30hrs I did say TG in the enquiry form.

Salesman departed at 13.32hrs.

CR Smith don't do triple glazing, tg is a gimmick really, tg doesn't have good thermal efficiency, it's really troublesome, we've never dealt in it. Places HUGE strain on the hinges (I'll accept this last at huge not HUGE as our openers are relatively small.

OK, next!

Everest failed
Anglian failed
Cr Smith failed

Thistle quoting Tuesday
Bon Accord quoting Wednesday
Pinefield glass quoting Thursday

Advanced group in East Kilbride & DX home improvements Bellshill quoting off drawings before survey.

What a time! :lol:
I had the same problem. Went with pinefield glass which aren't too far from you. They are ok, but some needed fettling later as screws were not tight enough. If I feel better tomorrow I'll go and see what the differential is. The plastic frame is always the weak bit thermally.

One problem is getting the thermal values off them. Often it is the glass only. I found I needed to push for more on the frames.
Thanks Andy, it very quickly shrinks from a potential large pool lagoon type deal to a mildly brackish pond when 3g is requested 😀

What's wrong with ye? :?

I worked for a brief moment in time in the 80's for a glazing firm. Nrb'd for armlocking and offering to panel a drunk joiner who had a crack at a weaker mate after a night out when on a 1 week job in Kirkcaldy. :twisted: I was feisty back then, didnt like to see liberties taken. :roll:

Although within the short window of time i was there i did see & hear quite a lot. It truly is all bullshit they sell and doesn't seem to have changed one iota. Can draw solace from the fundamentals of thermal efficiency, good design and making sure they fit them properly!. Other than that, its a bit of a weird subculture? Where else do you purchase an end product that can change in price at such a rate? I can't think of any.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

First comparison

First quote Advanced £26k (Remote from my drawings)
Second quote Caledonia £18.5k (Remote from my drawings)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

The fun will really start once you have the chosen bodies on site and all the excuses come out for 'extras' or iffy work practices/shortcuts materialise.
Lots of 'hummmms' ' well the trouble is' 'tuts' and head shaking etc etc.
Always a joyous experience dealing with the trades.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 7 x 570w JA solar panels
7.08kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Andy

Post by Andy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:38 pm
What's wrong with ye? :?
Honking man flu.

I had a quick Look last night whilst it was 10ºC. The first two imagea are the pine glass window and the second is the old wooden one. There is a lot more air leakage on the wooden ones. The pine glass looks worse than it is because the scale went from 20º to about 23º.

The window is put straight into the gap against the stone and foamed. There were some screws as well. No insulation or anything so the plastic is touching cold stuff everywhere.

The general process was cut the nails that the plasterboard framing was held into the old window with :shock: This left only horizontal buttons for the plasterboard. The windows were levered out and then the new ones put back in and foamed. Some white trim went over the area where the plasterboard had been cut. This has the side effect of pushing the plasterboard home against the wall.

It definitely is warmer for the triple glazing. We had one window with a small sofa under it and you could feel the air running down the back of your neck. That is almost gone. We have pretty poor reveal insulation so it will never be perfect.

wooden window with our tame pikachu.
We had one corner window. ie two windows butt together and there thermal detail isn't great there I guess. A little darker line at the corner

Another pinefield window

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Thanks Andy,

Greta to see real world thermal performance. Glad its just man flu, horrible though it is. Firs t heavy hitting quote through the door, starts with a 3! :o

Knowing that there is huge difference in quality, anyone fancy a pop quiz? Dearest, Middle, cheapest?

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Andy

Post by Andy »

Any fancy gases or reflective layers on the glass?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Andy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:07 pm Any fancy gases or reflective layers on the glass?
Opti on outer and inner, one to let solar in and t'other to keep heat in. Middle being float. All Pilkington Did you go for similar?

Argon only
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Andy

Post by Andy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:09 pm
Andy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:07 pm Any fancy gases or reflective layers on the glass?
Opti on outer and inner, one to let solar in and t'other to keep heat in. Middle being float. All Pilkington Did you go for similar?

Argon only
There wasn't really a choice. Triple glazing or double glazing with noise reduction. I was really hamstrung by a complete lack of money and went for the cheapest :P