Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Adokforme

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:15 pm For a bit of fun its all green crap because,

1) The FIT uplift today cannot possibly be 13.4% all tax free.

2) The Ripple WT1 cannot possibly be forecast to return in excess of 40% of an original investment in a single year.

3) My home solar + battery system cannot possibly run Nowty Towers including 2 EVs practically without an external supply for the next 6 months.

4) Octopus Saving sessions in conjunction with the government bung cannot possibly pay my entire annual gas and electric bill even without any Ripple rebates.

5) Nowty Towers cannot possibly be heated by an underground river.

6) It cannot possibly be April fools day today.

7) Ripple project 3 is going on sale next week.

Which of the above statements (if any) is false ?
Hi Nowty, What a great quizz. Not that they are something I'm any good at. But I'd hazard a guess they are all correct apart from number 7 which is still to take place! :roll:
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:15 pm For a bit of fun its all green crap because,

1) The FIT uplift today cannot possibly be 13.4% all tax free.

2) The Ripple WT1 cannot possibly be forecast to return in excess of 40% of an original investment in a single year.

3) My home solar + battery system cannot possibly run Nowty Towers including 2 EVs practically without an external supply for the next 6 months.

4) Octopus Saving sessions in conjunction with the government bung cannot possibly pay my entire annual gas and electric bill even without any Ripple rebates.

5) Nowty Towers cannot possibly be heated by an underground river.

6) It cannot possibly be April fools day today.

7) Ripple project 3 is going on sale next week.

Which of the above statements (if any) is false ?
Well if ye put it like that (7).
I'll have to have a mess about once the sliders are live again and see what I can manage for a VPV system. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

I'll give it ya both. :mrgreen:

I was going to say they are all false because 1 to 6 are true except asked in a negative way, but you get the point of green crap not quite being crap. ;)

7 is obviously false because although we might hear more next week, it will still be some time before the share offer opens. :roll:

The weather gods are saying the solar tsunami is starting to arrive tomorrow on the south coast. :twisted:
I have disabled all overnight grid use. :mrgreen:
I'll turn it back on in October. 8-)
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:41 pm The weather gods are saying the solar tsunami is starting to arrive tomorrow on the south coast. :twisted:
I have disabled all overnight grid use. :mrgreen:
I'll turn it back on in October. 8-)
Enjoy! We'll catch up to that event in around 6 weeks! :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Adokforme wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:06 am Just checking mine then similar here too, the difference between mine and their's being 17.97 kWh's. Coincidentally the last days generation for us was 18.04 so just wonder if they wait for the official figure to come through for the last day before updating!
But, as AE said what a great return, in our case it will just about cover the months leccy bill. :mrgreen:
You are right - it exactly fits my situation . Maybe they copied a 30-day month into their payout cell on the spreadsheet? Do we need to ask them?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:41 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:17 pm For anyone standing by for project 3 solar park info. There is a post from Ripple yesterday on the community page saying that there will be more info coming in the next week. 🤞
Standing by.
120% of my approved limit should allow me headroom of a 4.4kW system to help charge the VB. :twisted:
1 year of FIT plus the Saving Sessions bung should just about pay for it.
Here at Nowty Towers, all green crap is recycled into more green crap. :mrgreen:
Looks like I can squeeze in somewhere between a 2-3kW Virtual PV system down South into my portfolio of Green Crap. 8-) All depends if I wish to leave a sliver of capacity on the off chance they ever make it to that fabled offshore wind turbine? :lol:

Great that it can all be passed on when deid (40 year expected PV timeline) and if the offshore turbine ever becomes a reality I'll be able to test Ripples asset shifting capabilities to move a smidgen of GF and a chunk of KH to free up some OWT1 capability. Ah well, that's a 3kW VPV in the Southern sector then. :ugeek:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

I think the earliest opportunity for CoOperative Offshore wind is likely to be with Energy4All on Scotwind but I think the timescales are something around 2030 so don't hold your breath. So maybe better to fill up on project 3 while you can.

https://energy4all.co.uk/e4a-news/succe ... twind-bid/
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:18 am I think the earliest opportunity for CoOperative Offshore wind is likely to be with Energy4All on Scotwind but I think the timescales are something around 2030 so don't hold your breath. So maybe better to fill up on project 3 while you can.

https://energy4all.co.uk/e4a-news/succe ... twind-bid/
I've wanted a chunk of an OWT for a while. Not for any real practical purpose but just one more invisible badge on my invisible jacket. I'd also love to own a little bit of geothermal too. Although that last is unlikely to happen. :cry:

Spoke to SWMBO and we agree to go to max on VPV and also going to get daughter to buy in as well to help offset the Edinburgh place.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I just looked at he Community page (because the messaging isn't working) and came across this about the planning consent:
29. All turbines shall be shut down for a period of three hours from sunset during the months of May to August when temperatures are above 10 decree Celsius and wind speeds are 6m/s or less. All measurements will be based on measurements at the turbine nacelle and wind speed based on a 10 minute average. This restriction to operation hours shall apply in perpetuity unless otherwise agreed in writing by the planning authority. Any request to the planning authority to vary this restriction shall be accompanied by a post­construction monitoring report.

Reason: To ensure that the wind farm has no significant adverse effects on the conservation status of Nyctalus bats.

This is entirely appropriate to ensure safe feeding by the UK's largest bat. But it does mean that the turbines could be shutdown for 4% of the year for this. I presume the modelling of the output and payback has taken this into account?
and a reply
yes that's been accounted for. It won't happen as much as 4% of the year because even in summer it definitely won't always be above 10 degrees during those times (from personal experience I can confirm it's a cold hillside)! But even so, any loss in yield during these periods won't be proportional to the time they are shut down because when wind speeds are that low the turbines will be generating very little energy anyway.
and an even more surprising follow-up (not posted April 1st, I checked):
Have you ever passed a wind farm & noticed that most of the turbines are spinning, however even though it's a windy day, at least one isn't turning? This is because the top of the turbine is connected to the ground wiring via a thick cable in the centre. This prevents the top of the turbine from rotating endlessly around and around to face the wind direction.
So this cable doesn't break, every now & then, the turbine needs to stop spinning & unwind the central cable before it can start work again.
This is normal practice. So to have a daily "bat" downtime means all the turbines can unwind at the same time ready for the next gust of wind.

Therefore I wouldn't worry about the 4% downtime if I were you, it's insignificant as all wind turbines have some downtime.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

The bat thing is true (Kirk Hill), its here in the latest planning doc, "Decision Notice - dated 14 October 2020"
https://www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/CaseDe ... ?id=121050

Under 6m/s it would hardly be generating anyway.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3