Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
nowty

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:30 pm
nowty wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:23 pm At Nowty Towers, the PV has just popped over 51 kWh and still 1.5 kW coming in but on the way down now.

WT1 looks like 71 kWh, so a massive total of 122 kWh.

But looking into the future for WT2, well its windy there too today but not quite as much as in the WT1 area so I'm going to give it 80% of max output so I'm going to estimate my share would have been 48 kWh.

So if Kirk Hill was in operational service today my total for today would be a mind boggling 170 kWh and 119 kWh of that would have gone into my virtual battery, all saved for next winter. 8-)
It's a whole new game, single day, significant fractions of RE Megawatts. :D
I reckon when WT2 is running on a sunny day with a strong SW wind in May, I could get,

70 kWh form Solar PV
70 kWh from WT1
60 kWh from WT2
-----------------------
Total 200 kWh

Something to aim for, although the rub is, I don't actually have to do anything, it just might happen by itself as all this RE stuff just works as if by magic in the background. Like my father will generate 55 kWh on WT1 today and he doesn't even know it.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:09 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:30 pm
nowty wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:23 pm At Nowty Towers, the PV has just popped over 51 kWh and still 1.5 kW coming in but on the way down now.

WT1 looks like 71 kWh, so a massive total of 122 kWh.

But looking into the future for WT2, well its windy there too today but not quite as much as in the WT1 area so I'm going to give it 80% of max output so I'm going to estimate my share would have been 48 kWh.

So if Kirk Hill was in operational service today my total for today would be a mind boggling 170 kWh and 119 kWh of that would have gone into my virtual battery, all saved for next winter. 8-)
It's a whole new game, single day, significant fractions of RE Megawatts. :D
I reckon when WT2 is running on a sunny day with a strong SW wind in May, I could get,

70 kWh form Solar PV
70 kWh from WT1
60 kWh from WT2
-----------------------
Total 200 kWh

Something to aim for, although the rub is, I don't actually have to do anything, it just might happen by itself as all this RE stuff just works as if by magic in the background. Like my father will generate 55 kWh on WT1 today and he doesn't even know it.
This was the sorcerer apprentice reference from last night! In saying that re the magnificence of WT1 & WT2 I'm glad to be hands on at the WS cooking a nice chicken and scotch bonnet Balti today. Hands on and practical is very important to me. :)
I am also a massive fan of finding the balance in it all.

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

So 9th Dec 2021 just before the Omicron pandemic a few of us went out to a restaurant with a group of friends for a birthday meal. Some months earlier one of the couples had asked me for advice about RE. I went to their house and its got a difficult roof and bad shading, tiny enclosed garden. A bit difficult I said, maybe a few panels on your garage roof, but I mentioned the ripple wind turbine to them. They bought in and at the restaurant I assumed they were glued to the WT1 build which had just completed.

No they where not aware at all and I had to show them pics from my phone of it. Oh that's really nice, they said. :roll:

I just sent them a txt saying, "Are you aware that your wind turbine has been running flat out for about 24 hours today ?"

Reply came back, "No, we did not know it was running yet." :?

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:16 pm So 9th Dec 2021 just before the Omicron pandemic a few of us went out to a restaurant with a group of friends for a birthday meal. Some months earlier one of the couples had asked me for advice about RE. I went to their house and its got a difficult roof and bad shading, tiny enclosed garden. A bit difficult I said, maybe a few panels on your garage roof, but I mentioned the ripple wind turbine to them. They bought in and at the restaurant I assumed they were glued to the WT1 build which had just completed.

No they where not aware at all and I had to show them pics from my phone of it. Oh that's really nice, they said. :roll:

I just sent them a txt saying, "Are you aware that your wind turbine has been running flat out for about 24 hours today ?"

Reply came back, "No, we did not know it was running yet." :?

Just glad to hear that they Invested, they could have just been dinner table Walter Mitteys! A couple of my mates are buying into WT2 too.

I've been lowering the storage heater charge time, same with HWT & EV. Octopus Go faster draw in the low cost window is seriously plummeting. :D We continue to run the 2 central core SH's and the bedroom SH for 2.5hrs each window so that's now down to 12kWh plus whatever the home stack needs. Call it 18kWh per day total. WT1 has been outstripping that and then some so I have noted Carbon Negative from 18th March 2022 on my RE countsheet. HWT & EV are operating on the PV input through the day as is the house. Not bad when it continues to be zero to -1 in the morning and all frosted! :shock:

We've come on in leaps and bounds since the old place closed. I hope you are all having similar joy from your systems?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Just glad to hear that they Invested, they could have just been dinner table Walter Mitteys! A couple of my mates are buying into WT2 too.

I've been lowering the storage heater charge time, same with HWT & EV. Octopus Go faster draw in the low cost window is seriously plummeting. :D We continue to run the 2 central core SH's and the bedroom SH for 2.5hrs each window so that's now down to 12kWh plus whatever the home stack needs. Call it 18kWh per day total. WT1 has been outstripping that and then some so I have noted Carbon Negative from 18th March 2022 on my RE countsheet. HWT & EV are operating on the PV input through the day as is the house. Not bad when it continues to be zero to -1 in the morning and all frosted! :shock:

We've come on in leaps and bounds since the old place closed. I hope you are all having similar joy from your systems?
Cheers Joe, afraid I wasn't aware of the old place, though would love to have been part of it had I been. Next month will see the fourth annivesary of our PV installation and my, what a journey of change and transformation it's been. Giving up gas, diesel and any means of transport associated with either also means there will be no purchase of Putins blood stained gas on our behalf.
This wonderful spell of sunshine coupled with our recent battery installs enable us to virtually curtail our draw from the grid presently. Last three days of import being 1.58, 0.343 & 0.364 kWh's. With the longer daylight hours ahead then I'm hopeful of similar figures for the rest of the summer. That might be a tad optimistic, but hey, I'm a glass half full kind of guy. I'm still on a high following Ripples success with Graig Fatha. :mrgreen:
It would seem that after wrestling with the pro's and cons of the various renewable and sustainable options available over this four year period then it's finally all dropped into place. :D
Just the rest of the world to convince now. :lol:
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

54%!!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Adokforme wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:04 am

Cheers Joe, afraid I wasn't aware of the old place, though would love to have been part of it had I been. Next month will see the fourth annivesary of our PV installation and my, what a journey of change and transformation it's been. Giving up gas, diesel and any means of transport associated with either also means there will be no purchase of Putins blood stained gas on our behalf.
This wonderful spell of sunshine coupled with our recent battery installs enable us to virtually curtail our draw from the grid presently. Last three days of import being 1.58, 0.343 & 0.364 kWh's. With the longer daylight hours ahead then I'm hopeful of similar figures for the rest of the summer. That might be a tad optimistic, but hey, I'm a glass half full kind of guy. I'm still on a high following Ripples success with Graig Fatha. :mrgreen:
It would seem that after wrestling with the pro's and cons of the various renewable and sustainable options available over this four year period then it's finally all dropped into place. :D
Just the rest of the world to convince now. :lol:
Great to read, sounds a lot like our journey too. :)
I'm happy each day the gas remains off, everything after that is literally a bonus.
I repeat, 54% sold!! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:44 pm I repeat, 54% sold!! :)
So I make that 1% in 5 days.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:00 pm
Incredible eh! 1/3rd of million?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:00 pm
Looks like momentum might be building then. ;)
Some four years ago it took me weeks before coming to a decision to invest in solar, so while the ROI's may be more clear cut today I appreciate that it does take some bottle to invest hard earned cash into an otherwise mundane topic like electricity generation. Especially when most people have spent much of their life doing their best to ignore it.