Just Joined the Intelligent Octopus Tariff

Joeboy

Re: Just Joined the Intelligent Octopus Tariff

Post by Joeboy »

I hope they sort this out as it reads well as an idea. Fluid 1/2 hour discounted power slots in real-time. Early days for such a thing to even exist so I'm sure there's tweaking to be done.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Now that the WT1 is running with the 9.5p / kWh rebate I enquired whether I could move to the newer more expensive Intelligent Octopus tariff. :shock:

Quite an eye watering voluntary increase (circa 50%) but it gets me through next winter and my import is about to drop off a cliff until the end of my current contract in Sept. It also aligns my import contract to the ripple WT1 power purchase agreement.

I was expecting a protracted delay but had a reply after 48 hours and although I was ONLY querying whether it was possible, I received this email.

Not sure if I am :D or :(, but I think its a prudent decision, my online account already showing the new rates, got to make sure NO peak rate import now.

I'm off to London soon to pick up my daughter and 6 month old grandson for his first visit to Nowty Towers.
That means the journey will cost me £3.50 instead of £2.00 or is it now free cos of WT1 going swoosh, swoosh, swoosh. :twisted:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Last night I needed to charge the TM3, I had not done it for 10 days because I have not driven it due to having covid. The octopus APP was not working for me anymore as it seems that renewing my tariff had thrown me off the system. So I had to do the re-boarding test charge with the car again but that went ok.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:26 pm Now that the WT1 is running with the 9.5p / kWh rebate I enquired whether I could move to the newer more expensive Intelligent Octopus tariff. :shock:

Quite an eye watering voluntary increase (circa 50%) but it gets me through next winter and my import is about to drop off a cliff until the end of my current contract in Sept. It also aligns my import contract to the ripple WT1 power purchase agreement.

I was expecting a protracted delay but had a reply after 48 hours and although I was ONLY querying whether it was possible, I received this email.

Not sure if I am :D or :(, but I think its a prudent decision, my online account already showing the new rates, got to make sure NO peak rate import now.

I'm off to London soon to pick up my daughter and 6 month old grandson for his first visit to Nowty Towers.
That means the journey will cost me £3.50 instead of £2.00 or is it now free cos of WT1 going swoosh, swoosh, swoosh. :twisted:
So you've swapped a great tariff when you use little-to-no electric, for a more-expensive but at least you know what it is going to be and will cover next winter, tariff?

I hadn't considered the cheap slot might go higher than 7.5p! Was rather hoping it'd come back down to 5p in time for my renewal in August!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:01 pm So you've swapped a great tariff when you use little-to-no electric, for a more-expensive but at least you know what it is going to be and will cover next winter, tariff?

I hadn't considered the cheap slot might go higher than 7.5p! Was rather hoping it'd come back down to 5p in time for my renewal in August!
I don't know what will happen to these exceptionally value for money tariffs (as long as you can avoid most or all of the peak rate) like Go, Go Faster and intelligent Octopus.

But think about this.

The standing charge for these tariffs has historically been in line with the capped leccy standing charge but the capped standing charge for leccy is near doubling next month from 24p to 45p.

The cheapest rate we all had of 5p / kWh was a bit higher than the previous gas capped rate of say 3.5p / kWh. Now the gas capped rate is 4p rising to over 7p next month. Then the speculation is another 25% on gas in October taking gas to around 10p.

Capped leccy price will rise next month from 20p to 28p and in October it might be 35p.

Do you think the cheap rate on Octopus Go, etc is going to stay at 7.5p in those circumstances. Some other suppliers have actually closed their EV tariffs to new customers or insisted on a dual fuel ONLY tariff with gas at over 20p / kWh.

If I waited until the end of my contract in sept I would not be surprised of cheap rate being 10p or even 12p with an increase of standing charge on top. Or even something more radical as a suspension of the tariff on renewal. This guarantees me the price ALL through next winter and also aligns the price to the ripple wind turbine rebate price of 9.5p / kWh.

And if the price magically drops back to 5p, then I can simply renew as I there is no exit fee.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

In Yorkshire region peak outgoing pricing has shifted to 01:00 several times now.

It's should be clear to everyone that the EV tarrifs can't be around forever.

I've recently switched to a 12M fix with octopus and then will utilise outgoing agile as much as I can. Should then be able to re-evaluate during winter as I actually require some import, but I am still OK with paying 35p with 26p standing rate - let's see if EV tarrif sticks around or is gone by then.

If the current industry fixed rate offering is anywhere close to the correct hedge for the wholesale price come october then there may well be very real problems for even large suppliers.
nowty

Post by nowty »

My voluntary change to the latest and more expensive Octopus Intelligent tariff a couple of weeks back has already paid off as my suspicion that the standing charge for smart tariffs would be aligned to capped tariffs has just happened today.

Go, Go Faster and Intelligent have just had their standing charges (in my area) increased from 24.11p to 43.12p per day.

The peak rate has also increased from 30.61p / kWh to 34.86p / kWh.

Cheap rate still at 7.5p / kWh but I suspect it will go to 10p'ish to align with gas when that goes up at the next price cap due to be announced in Aug.

EDIT - I have seen it mentioned that if you are less than 45 days from renewing you can still keep the previous rates before this increase.

New rates in my area.

Dammed Octopus been reading my thread again !

Thanks for the idea nowty, I give with one tentacle and take away with the other seven. ;)
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Obviously there is a bit of spare power tonight with all this wind, especially from ripple WT1. :D

The Octopus is offering me a free car charge tonight, bugger the car is already at 75% and I generally keep it to about 80% max unless I am going on a long journey. So tonight will be an exception, 100 % its going to be. Only problem is the Octopus website and all APPs seem to have crashed from the crazy end of March meter reads. Hopefully it will all be back up by midnight for me to take advantage.

I guess they are going to work it out from my APP as opposed to my Smart meter.
Hmmmmmmmm, but I think I know where this is going for the long term...................... :evil:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

So a nice bonus from the Octopus last night for the free charge.

Was a bit of a nightmare getting it to start as the Octopus APP was intermittent and my Wallbox EV charger decided it wanted a software update which delayed and confused thigs further. In the end I "Bump" charged during the cheapslot so I hope it still counts.

My Octopus Intelligent APP this morning reporting 16.71 kWh was used in last 24 hrs so hopefully a £1.25 rebate. :D

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

nowty wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:17 pm My voluntary change to the latest and more expensive Octopus Intelligent tariff a couple of weeks back has already paid off as my suspicion that the standing charge for smart tariffs would be aligned to capped tariffs has just happened today.

Go, Go Faster and Intelligent have just had their standing charges (in my area) increased from 24.11p to 43.12p per day.

The peak rate has also increased from 30.61p / kWh to 34.86p / kWh.

Cheap rate still at 7.5p / kWh but I suspect it will go to 10p'ish to align with gas when that goes up at the next price cap due to be announced in Aug.

EDIT - I have seen it mentioned that if you are less than 45 days from renewing you can still keep the previous rates before this increase.

New rates in my area.

Dammed Octopus been reading my thread again !

Thanks for the idea nowty, I give with one tentacle and take away with the other seven. ;)

Feeling abit better about my decision to hop onto a 12M fix for the spring and summer to lock in a low standing charge AND to let me get onto outgoing agile with this news.