Corner turned

marshman

Re: Corner turned

Post by marshman »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:43 pm
marshman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:17 pm
Stinsy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:53 pm 20.4kWh for me. Officially a “great” day. (10+kWh+ = “good”, 20+kWh = “great”).

Interestingly my inverter shut down between 12-130 because my batteries were full and my local grid voltage was too high. Seen this a few times this year, never before. Interesting development…
Check it yourself on your incoming main and if it consistently gets above 253V midday'ish when the sun is shining then phone up your DNO and complain. Don't fall for the "you have solar PV its's your problem" line like they tried to give me a few years back. Took me months to get them to change the tap on the transformer. The upper limit is 253V at the meter, PV or no PV. It is worth checking it is not volts drop (rise) on the cable from the inverter to your grid connection.
Thanks. The voltage with my inverter off has been rising to 252-253V. My inverter cuts off as soon as soon as the voltage hits 253V and tries again 5mins later. However even if it is slightly below the 253V it soon rises once the inverter starts exporting to the house/grid.

Not sure which inverter you have and of course you are not supposed to touch any of the grid settings but you should check as I am sure the grid cut off voltage should be higher than 253V on the inverter. I'm sure the G83 upper limit was 262.2V
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoSTiE

Post by MoSTiE »

Inskip75 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:20 pm
Joeboy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:12 pm
Inskip75 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:00 am Great day in NW as well 32kWh here yesterday - first proper day with old and new systems going well - 22kWh from 2011 system and 10kWh from new system! Filled car to 100% from solar as well.
Nice one, did I miss the second system going in? Heid full of holes these days!
I didn't post any photos but it was just small 5x345W panels on garage and Solis 1.5kW inverter - just helps with everything (car and batteries) and the roof was spare! - also managed to get agreed increased limit on export from Electricity NW for this extra system.

tree + chainsaw = Watts :twisted:
nowty

Post by nowty »

marshman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:24 pm
Stinsy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:43 pm
marshman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:17 pm

Check it yourself on your incoming main and if it consistently gets above 253V midday'ish when the sun is shining then phone up your DNO and complain. Don't fall for the "you have solar PV its's your problem" line like they tried to give me a few years back. Took me months to get them to change the tap on the transformer. The upper limit is 253V at the meter, PV or no PV. It is worth checking it is not volts drop (rise) on the cable from the inverter to your grid connection.
Thanks. The voltage with my inverter off has been rising to 252-253V. My inverter cuts off as soon as soon as the voltage hits 253V and tries again 5mins later. However even if it is slightly below the 253V it soon rises once the inverter starts exporting to the house/grid.

Not sure which inverter you have and of course you are not supposed to touch any of the grid settings but you should check as I am sure the grid cut off voltage should be higher than 253V on the inverter. I'm sure the G83 upper limit was 262.2V and I don't think G98 changed that, my older SB3000 allows you to set it to 263V.

Just checked my new Solis inverter which is set to G99 standard and the upper voltage limit is indeed 262.2V, so definitely worth checking yours.
Some inverters like my SMA also trip out if the voltage is rising fast even before it hits the overvoltage setting. Also is the inverter tripping at 253v at the actual inverter or as measured at the grid point. There maybe a a few volts difference between the two points.

Or it could be an installer thought overvoltage should be set to the normal max DNO grid voltage of 253v.

I wrote down the voltage settings vs the different inverter standards a while back.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Horrendous overcast & raining day here. Pulled in about 5kWh in total. Also completely mistimed the weather expectation, no overnight stack charging so by 08.00 hrs we were starting the day with 18% soc!

You know what? Didn't matter, fired up the WS, cooked tatties, neeps, cabbage, beef olives and onion gravy. House is roasting, classic fm is on and soc is back up to 26% and we have had a great day. 👍

The lesson for me is that BIG array is better, regardless of the huge daily takes on the best day. These sub marginal days are the real test. Can't even begin to count the kWh's the WS produced today taking the load off the PV & batteries. Didn't touch the grid once. :twisted:

In saying that, across the last 7 days we did buy 25kWh of electricity at a cost of £1.37 & (no gas). On the other side of the scale we generated £26 in various metered RE incomes which I find frankly astonishing! Soc is up at 28% now, don't know what I was worried about! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

JB we need a dc interconnection between our houses - I could ship you some electrons as we have been sat in sunshine since 07:00 this morning l, currently generating just over 3kWp combined and been at 3.4 for a good portion of the afternoon.

Nice to hear your system came good on a marginal day. We’ve had a few days lately here and there to remind me that it’s been an exceptionally good start to the year.

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

That’s kipper doing his solar collector impression and then the west face of the cottage with main and a auxiliary panels baking in full sun.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

'Kipper', excellent name! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

So named as he has a white blaze on his chest similar to the book and cartoon character kipper the dog
Written by Mick Inkpen -brilliant books and cartoon series has entertained my six children over the years and once Freddie my seventh is old enough he will have the same pleasure too.

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Finished yesterday with a best for the Month and the the year to date, 20.98kWh off the main array ! brilliant.

Electrician is here again later today too so another step closer to getting the batteries connected and benefitting the house hopefully and the weather outside this morning looks like another stunning day

Moxi
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Moxi wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:49 am Finished yesterday with a best for the Month and the the year to date, 20.98kWh off the main array ! brilliant.

Electrician is here again later today too so another step closer to getting the batteries connected and benefitting the house hopefully and the weather outside this morning looks like another stunning day

Moxi
Good to hear that you're getting the rays on your panels, won't be long before you are storing them for later use. :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf