Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Stinsy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:57 pm SWMBO & I were just having a float about in the pool and chatting about Winter plans. From out the blue she said 'can you use some of those storage heater bricks at the woodstove'. I just stood there as she grinned at me. Project ahoy! :)
What you're talking about is: "Thermal Mass". They don't have to be special bricks any old blocks will do the heavier the better. Do a google image search for "thermal mass fireplace" if you want inspiration.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:57 pm SWMBO & I were just having a float about in the pool and chatting about Winter plans. From out the blue she said 'can you use some of those storage heater bricks at the woodstove'. I just stood there as she grinned at me. Project ahoy! :)
Just not sure if SWMBO will like the potential aesthetics...

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Block density is key here as is bare block retention as they will not be controlled. For aesthetic, they will be around the back of the stove as a trial. Although a couple will be trialled on top just to get the temp gun out for a play! :) I have seen the Mexican style adobe emitters, this isn't that.....

Fintray, pmsl! 'Aye love, but it works!!!'
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I totally agree with Roger Marshman. However there is a optimum level of thermal mass largely dependant on solar gain and ambient temps.

If i was thinking about increasing thermal mass my first port of call might be external insulation at least on north -east facing walls.
My second is to use phase changing plaster which give off heat or absorb it at the temp you have chosen.

Ken
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:10 pm phase changing plaster
That's a new one on me!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

it was covered a few years ago on "st elsewhere" so hopefully some good field data available by now.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:10 pm I totally agree with Roger Marshman. However there is a optimum level of thermal mass largely dependant on solar gain and ambient temps.
If i was thinking about increasing thermal mass my first port of call might be external insulation at least on north -east facing walls.
My second is to use phase changing plaster which give off heat or absorb it at the temp you have chosen.
Ken
My north wall is the party wall of a semi, which is lucky for me (- when they heat their side of the house!) However we have a south facing wall (9" solid brick) which gets very hot in the summer and I have been thinking about EWI for it too, but to make the bedroom (which has no window on that wall) more bearable.
Trouble is, it has a very shallow roof overhang (just half the thickness of the gutter) and the bathroom drainage and a gutter downpipe on the outside of it.
It woukd recess the downstairs and bathroom windows a bit more, which would be beneficial, but the work involved in altering all the rest is putting me off...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Dont give up just yet as you can get grants for insulation of solid walls. Perhaps you could taper the top of insulation to meet the roof line. It would certainly make a large difference.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A mate of mine had his villa in Turkey insulated and render skimcoated. Has to change a couple of external cills..Can't tell it's been done.

I'd put a facia extension on the gable end, wouldn't have to be too deep. What depth of insulation are you thinking of?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees