Oh dear, what have I done

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Stinsy

Re: Oh dear, what have I done

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:39 pm
Stinsy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:03 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:05 am We are feeling distinctly unfashionable with all you DualMoter'ers ..it's like only having one nutsack at a swingers party (that i've definitely never been to)

Might have to change the 3's name from"parker" to "Monorchid"
Don't worry. My iD4, when it comes, will be a lowly "single motor" variant. Couldn't justify the extra for the GTX!
I look forward to seeing photos, when do you expect it?
December!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Nice one Sir!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mart

Post by Mart »

I've created a monster! So, I was taking the mick out of Wifey this week that she doesn't like driving the MSM (midnight silver metallic) TM3 LR in sport mode because it's a tad nippy, instead choosing 'chill' mode, but she revealed that she now drives in sport, and has for weeks, as she can 'nip' past vehicles if necessary.

It's very addictive!
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Mart wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:12 am I've created a monster! So, I was taking the mick out of Wifey this week that she doesn't like driving the MSM (midnight silver metallic) TM3 LR in sport mode because it's a tad nippy, instead choosing 'chill' mode, but she revealed that she now drives in sport, and has for weeks, as she can 'nip' past vehicles if necessary.

It's very addictive!
... and rather worrying. You might well find that someone had judged that there was time to cross the road in front of that slower vehicle, or even that the driver was easing off to allow the pedestrian across in safety.

As part of road-using low life, usually cycling or walking, I am very aware how difficult it is getting when a road which was previously clear for far enough for me to cross or emerge from a junction is suddenly filled with a fast-approaching vehicle which has erupted from another junction. At least you can hear boy racers coming.

Even in our (low powered) car we find ourselves saying "Where the hell did that come from?" With power comes responsibility, and I don't think many people, especially if their cognitive abilities are starting to fade, have the capacity to control racing-car "performance." I have heard of several ageing acquaintances who have bought themselves the motor bikes they couldn't afford in their youth - and nearly ended their lives on them.
Even if the electric vehicle is being charged from renewables, don't you think those electrons might be put to better use through the grid?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Oh come on - let the man, and the woman, enjoy their Tesla.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

dan_b wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:06 am Oh come on - let the man, and the woman, enjoy their Tesla.
just as long as they don't wipe out somebody else while they are doing it. It's not a joke.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Is that really necessary to even say?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

AE, I cannot see anywhere where anyone threw caution to the wind & said "screw it, foot down" in fact the pick up is what makes overtaking manoeuvres slick when performed with due care & attention.

No-one has inferred they'd do this in slow moving pedestrian choke points.

just as an ebike has made cars more aware of me & my increased speed compared to a regular bike, we find overtaking (employing 1 lane over spacing) a breeze, because there is no pause as the engine winds up.

Passing horses here in the country also easier, no gearbox & engine note change noise being channelled through the exhaust so nothing to concern the horse, rider / lead rein. ..smooth flow.

On the whole an ev, (our leaf is just as good as our tesla at this) because the drive train is the same, the pick up is the same, the braking doesn't result in over rev as it's simply not there, ..& When we've come across wildlife (big deer) they, so far, don't blindly panic in the same manner upon hearing an approaching vehicle, one choosing to hold ground rather than does across the road, ..we obviously crept along upon spotting them because as a responsible driver that's what the wife does.

Speed bursts to overtake are a wholly different kettle of fish in an ev, we wave on the way past non motor traffic to reinforce the manoeuvre is not boy racer, but an acknowledgement of safety, moment chosen with highway code prescribed spacing, & slotting back in, ...or still sticking behind & not taking chances at what would be to the detriment of the cyclist regardless of tailback, in fact a queue behind tends to result in copycat behaviour so we are often happier to be the wife & slow pace setter, or wide (lane space) & fast in order that any potential slower vehicles have a bigger space to move back into & increased space around a cyclist than would be via a typical queue of ice.

Overtaking is calmer in part thanks to no ice noise amount up your adrenalin / fear & the certainty of zero lag, so no premature tuck in.
As far as pedestrians are concerned, heads in phone accessed social media, responding to phone alert trills, or simply the serotonin fixes that social media feeds upon & habitualises constant checking which takes the pedestrians eye off the ball needs addressing because that is effing dangerous.

Point of fact based on ev. miles driven over several opposite end vehicles, "We have yet to see an EV driver, driving like a W⚓" . .long may it last.

Maybe time to ban use of mobile phones unless you are stationary as a pedestrian? ..we know how phones eat into the ability to multi task, that includes walking down a street & basic navigation, obstacle avoidance impairment. ..stationary meaning not pausing to check phones momentarily whilst waiting to cross the road etc.

Being fully aware of this aspect of being a pedestrian I stow mine clipped into a molle pack because it's a literal 2 way street deserving of your full attention regardless of what you use to get from a-b
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

AE, it's a case also of govt being idiots too, nothing is in place yet to teach or advise on EV DRIVING ADAPTATION, nothing by relevant govt road & vehicle arms to highlight how driving technique changes / can be utilised.

There is nothing to encourage driving instructors to adopt EV as instruction vehicles, in fact when I politely pointed out the van hire trade being jocieyed into a forward position ready for ev VAN hire, he went very quiet, the standard line across most of the instructors we rang being "driving automatic means you'll never be able to hire a van"

So whilst there is a change to pedestrian status (as yet unknown) for DVLA rules, everything else is lagging or as yet not even contemplated to be taught as standard then adapted to waning stock of Ice availability prior to the "no more ice" line in UK govt sand.

Lots of new driver opportunity missed.

Mind you I'm the git who would enforce a cyclist mindset push bike practical in town module for new drivers to make them experience the risks bad drivers can expose us to.

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of wireless phone charging, however the central recess design of the model 3 is placed far enough back out of a driver & passengers reach to disengage with the medium to a great extent, beneficial compared to free for all phone clamp kits that keep you in very much attached proximity mindset.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Post by Mart »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 am
Mart wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:12 am I've created a monster! So, I was taking the mick out of Wifey this week that she doesn't like driving the MSM (midnight silver metallic) TM3 LR in sport mode because it's a tad nippy, instead choosing 'chill' mode, but she revealed that she now drives in sport, and has for weeks, as she can 'nip' past vehicles if necessary.

It's very addictive!
... and rather worrying. You might well find that someone had judged that there was time to cross the road in front of that slower vehicle, or even that the driver was easing off to allow the pedestrian across in safety.

As part of road-using low life, usually cycling or walking, I am very aware how difficult it is getting when a road which was previously clear for far enough for me to cross or emerge from a junction is suddenly filled with a fast-approaching vehicle which has erupted from another junction. At least you can hear boy racers coming.

Even in our (low powered) car we find ourselves saying "Where the hell did that come from?" With power comes responsibility, and I don't think many people, especially if their cognitive abilities are starting to fade, have the capacity to control racing-car "performance." I have heard of several ageing acquaintances who have bought themselves the motor bikes they couldn't afford in their youth - and nearly ended their lives on them.
Even if the electric vehicle is being charged from renewables, don't you think those electrons might be put to better use through the grid?
A
Oh don't be so silly.

She can now use the short dual lane sections on some local high speed roads to overtake, which she couldn't do before. Not talking about pedestrian/cycling roads, or overtaking when approaching junctions or side roads ..... kinda daft to suggest such a thing.

When it comes to lower speed local roads, we are very well behaved sticking to, or below the speed limits, and hardly ever overtake on the 'wrong side' of the road unless there's a very slow vehicle.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.