105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Djs63

Re: New Triple Glazed Windows at Nowty Towers

Post by Djs63 »

I marvel at your bravery, strength and expertise. Seriously good stuff. We had triple glazing installed on 20 windows, ground level, by experts who had some small problems but I reckon we made the right choice given our expertise and lack of strength. It was expensive but it made a big difference for the better. So WOW :D
Proven 6 kWh max turbine, PV 8 KW solar hot water (15 evacuated tubes). Kia eNiro and MG Z5 EV, triple glazing, ground source heat pump and wood stove plus 3000 trees, battery electric chain saw etc, 6000 litres of rainwater storage
nowty

Post by nowty »

I've still got a few odds and ends to finish on the outside of the new windows, yes I've been very lazy.

But I've finally cut up the old windows and I have a slot booked for the local recycling centre or a tip as I call it. Was worried before I bought the Tesla M3 as its not a hatchback, but there's even more room than my old ford focus.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Re: New Triple Glazed Windows at Nowty Tower

Post by Stinsy »

When I took a window to the local “recycling centre” they tried to charge me £27 because it was “trade waste” I explained that it was “DIY waste” and as such they were required to take it. I told them to swivel and that I wouldn’t be paying extra seeing as I had already paid my council tax. It all went further downhill when the supervisor started taking pictures of the window, me, and my car “for evidence”.

I took it back home, cut it up into small pieces and put it in the bottom of my wheely bin, then took a few bags of rubbish to the “recycling centre” later in the week.

I’d have much rather put it in the “hard plastics” section to be recycled but hey-ho they refused and forced my hand.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Yes its getting harder to dispose of stuff at our “recycling centre” too. They do (or did) have a hard plastics skip, so I'm hoping to put most of it in there.

Not sure about the glass, they used to have it in the general waste but it might now be classed as rubble or ceramics which I have to pay for. The general waste now seems to be combustible stuff, i.e. waste to energy at an incinerator.

I checked their website and its not under the "not accepted items" and its not under the "restricted items" where you pay. But its also not under the "accepted" items either. So I shall see tomorrow.

With regards to soil and rubble, I take it up to my folks tip up north because its still free there. :D

I still do the small amounts of soil and rubble bagged up in the bottom of my wheele bin too. :twisted:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

They have number plate recognition at my local tip, if your car isn't registered within their area they chuck you out. They don't care where the waste comes from just where the car is registered!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
richbee

Post by richbee »

They are supposed to be much stricter round us now too, but they have relented on the use of personal vans or converted vans - I used to have to pre-book an itemised permit to take my own waste in my own vehicle (transit 'camper' van).
Seem much more relaxed now, they guy there most of the time is very friendly and doesn't even seem to bother with odd bits of plasterboard or rubble which he is supposed to charge for
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
nowty

Post by nowty »

nowty wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:27 pm I've still got a few odds and ends to finish on the outside of the new windows, yes I've been very lazy.

But I've finally cut up the old windows and I have a slot booked for the local recycling centre or a tip as I call it. Was worried before I bought the Tesla M3 as its not a hatchback, but there's even more room than my old ford focus.

It all went in the household waste bin, glass and all, the hard plastic skip had disappeared. I used to go there so often that one of the guys on site asked me where I'd been. The main reason I don't go so much is its a pain in that you have to book a slot several days in advance and I now pay extra for the garden waste bin at home.

SWMBO could not bear me putting the garden waste in my Tesla. :lol:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

It's a sad day that we have to manipulate (myself incuded) the council rubbish system due to abusers of same system. We are twice a month limited on a vehicle at local tip and also do the wheelie bin shuffle.

A shame that we can't accrue the van visits that we don't use for the times when we are busy with builds. After all they are already paid for in our annual council tax....

Great job there Nowty, big difference in the home?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees