More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
marshman

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mr Gus wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:19 pm Hot enough to consider dog mode & sleeping mat in the T3 tonight. 30c upstairs
I know and the South American inlaws are saying the temp is finally just about right and can you please leave the storage heater on outside our room as it gets a bit chilly in the night. :shock:

Today moved an old rotten gardening tool store to make space for the outdoor unit. Re-used some of my block paving which I used in my improvised oven storage heater. https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=17&t=638

And bought 4 cheap rubber sanding blocks from screwfix which I'm using as anti vibration feet. :lol:
That and using a few surplus plastic window packers from my other triple glazing thread to level it all out. https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=21&t=617
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:44 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:19 pm Hot enough to consider dog mode & sleeping mat in the T3 tonight. 30c upstairs
I know and the South American inlaws are saying the temp is finally just about right and can you please leave the storage heater on outside our room as it gets a bit chilly in the night. :shock:

Today moved an old rotten gardening tool store to make space for the outdoor unit. Re-used some of my block paving which I used in my improvised oven storage heater. https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=17&t=638

And bought 4 cheap rubber sanding blocks from screwfix which I'm using as anti vibration feet. :lol:
That and using a few surplus plastic window packers from my other triple glazing thread to level it all out. https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=21&t=617
Great to see the re purposing in the project 👏 👍! :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Its a 12,000 BTU one but what the hell does that mean. :evil:
Thank goodness the spec plate has Volts, Amps and Watts which I can understand. :mrgreen:
But don't get me started on Mega pascals, I grew up with 3 to 15 psi (or 0.2 to 1 bar) flapper nozzle systems. :twisted:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:42 pm Its a 12,000 BTU one but what the hell does that mean. :evil:
Thank goodness the spec plate has Volts, Amps and Watts which I can understand. :mrgreen:
But don't get me started on Mega pascals, I grew up with 3 to 15 psi (or 0.2 to 1 bar) flapper nozzle systems. :twisted:
I have a 12 000 btu unit in my upstairs bedroom in Turkey, probably about 25 square mtrs and high roofs (4 mtrs). Does a brilliant job. The 18,000 btu unit is in a 50 square meter room. Easily keeps on top of it. I think you'll be fine! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:01 pm I have a 12 000 btu unit in my upstairs bedroom in Turkey, probably about 25 square mtrs and high roofs (4 mtrs). Does a brilliant job. The 18,000 btu unit is in a 50 square meter room. Easily keeps on top of it. I think you'll be fine! :)
Its being installed in my lounge which is 26 sq m (blurb says up to 30 sq m) and only a 2.4m ceiling. I nearly bought the 18,000 one, but wanted one which would easily run off the batteries and with the ground source HP running as well if needed. Also the smaller ones seem to be slightly more efficient.

As my 6kW GSHP does the whole house in most conditions (heating only), this 3kW (being pessimistic) one should be OK for my lounge, heating or cooling. :D
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Nice one Nowty, Keep us informed how this unit performs during the winter, I'm convinced this is a far better way to provide space heating rather than an ASHP trying to run an existing wet heating system. UFH maybe but an existing radiator system is too problematic IMHO.

BThUs are quaint eh? can't believe people Luddites still use them :)

Desp
Blah blah blah
nowty

Post by nowty »

spread-tee wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:11 am
BThUs are quaint eh? can't believe people Luddites still use them :)

Desp
Finally looked it up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_thermal_unit

I still like some old imperial units, like when I make sponge cake, my mum taught me its the same number of ounces of butter, sugar, flour and half that number of eggs. So its normally 4oz of butter, sugar, flour and 2 eggs, simples.

I understood there were 16 ounces in a pound because we had a set of balancing weighing scales with all the individual weights. But when I was told there are only 14 pounds in a stone, alarm bells were ringing in my head and I was only about 5 years old.

The next problem I have is determining the correct torque of the flared connections as every table I have looked at uses different units. Without a torque wrench I prefer foot-pounds because a typical spanner is about 6 inches. So you would need to double the pounds, but then roughly half that number to kg as I prefer weight in kg. So whatever foot-pounds it says, I imagine the same number of 1kg bags of sugar pushing against my spanner. :geek:

International Torque Measuring Systems
American

ozf.in - ounce force inch (referred as inch-ounces)
lbf.in - pound force inch (referred as inch-pounds)
lbf.ft - pound force foot (referred as foot-pounds)

International Standard - S.I.
mN.m - milli Newton meter
cN.m - centi- Newton meter
N.m - Newton meter

Metric
gf.cm - gram force centimeter
kgf.cm - kilogram force centimeter
kgf.m - kilogram force meter
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

I wonder if some recipes were concocted with the measurement system in mind?? I believe Mrs desp cooks imperial-ish, I often see her scale switched to lbs and ozzies.

It is bonkers how we have sort of half adopted the metric system here but still use it all wrong. I never understand why lots of people measure room size stuff in MM, so a worktop would be 3000*600, or the room itself is 4260mm long, it seems to scale wrong to me. I had a couple of Polish guys working for me some years ago and they thought it mad not to use CM, I know it's just a matter of moving the decimal point but it does make sense.

Flat roofs or timber frame walls are good with imperial sheathing outside and metric plasterboards on the inside, does anyone want a van load of 4cm ply rips???, Pressure.........don't get me started :shock:

Desp
Blah blah blah
John_S

Post by John_S »

nowty wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:03 pm
I still like some old imperial units, like when I make sponge cake, my mum taught me its the same number of ounces of butter, sugar, flour and half that number of eggs. So its normally 4oz of butter, sugar, flour and 2 eggs, simples.
The biggest variable is the size of the egg. Small, medium, large or very large. A more precise recipe is to weigh the eggs and then use an equal weight of butter, sugar and flour.

John