More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
MoSTiE

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by MoSTiE »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:26 pm The last one of these I fitted a few years ago. The heat exchanger came preloaded with gas. Hooked it up, opened the isolation valves on the exchanger and we were off and running with cool air. Didn't use vac gauges or anything which was a surprise. Used to get about 4 years out of a system running 24/7/365.
you didn't take the air out of the pipes, probably did the windings on the motor, compressor not designed to pump non condensable gas - air and moisture the enemy of all refrigeration systems ;)
Last edited by MoSTiE on Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MoSTiE

Post by MoSTiE »

Nowty, that 3.5kw unit will probably have enough gas for 5mtrs of pipe, should be in the instructions though.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

MoSTiE wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:12 pm
Joeboy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:26 pm The last one of these I fitted a few years ago. The heat exchanger came preloaded with gas. Hooked it up, opened the isolation valves on the exchanger and we were off and running with cool air. Didn't use vac gauges or anything which was a surprise. Used to get about 4 years out of a system running 24/7/365.
you didn't take the air out of the pipes, probably did the windings on the motor, compressor not designed to pump non condesible gas - air and moisture the enemy of all refrigeration systems ;)
Fair point, still working two years later after fitting.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I was always taught to weigh your eggs (in their shells) then use the same weight of flour, butter, and sugar.

Doesn’t matter what system of weights/measures you use in that case.

The American “cup” system is insane! They seem allergic to weighing stuff.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

MoSTiE wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:15 pm Nowty, that 3.5kw unit will probably have enough gas for 5mtrs of pipe, should be in the instructions though.
There is enough gas for 6m of pipe. Currently at Heathrow again, seems to be going better this time. The MIL is in an assistance wheelchair so they are leaving fast track for no extra charge. 😎
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Back in Nowty Towers again, the in-laws first leg flight went ahead but was delayed to the point of them due to arrive in Madrid 30 mins after their main connecting flight to South America leaves. Hopefully their main flight will also be delayed, who knows, but its now out of my hands with little I can do.

EDIT - The in-laws arrived in Madrid after their main flight had already left and are in a queue for maybe a hotel, luckily the MIL has been put in a wheelchair so maybe they will get priority. I think the next flight is almost midnight tomorrow and their main bags are staying in the airport. :?

EDIT EDIT - The inlaws were bus'd to a nice hotel in Madrid so they are enjoying themselves and taking in another European country they did not expect to visit. They have been booked onto the next flight which is late this evening. So they are managing to sort things out on their own. :D
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Back to the action.

My aircon unit is actually part of a larger re-org in my lounge. I installed a gas stove using a balanced flue about 12 years ago (yeah, I'm gas safe too) because it was more efficient than the existing gas fire using a chimney which was a channel in the inner breezeblock wall. That channel became quite useful later for running cables up the wall.

But since installing an extra radiator to help the GSHP, adding underfloor insulation and upgrading the windows (yeah I'm FENSA too) the gas stove has never been used since so I have decided to remove it and cap off the gas. My large screen LED on wall TV has recently had a screen fault so its being replaced with a newer OLED TV, less power than the last one and slightly larger too.

A few years back I also bought a heat recovery ventilator which I have never yet used. As I now have a hole in the wall where the gas balanced flue was, I might as well use it there as windows will be closed with the aircon so we need some extra ventilation.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Those little heat recovery units are great, I fitted one for my nephew who had problems with a really damp flank wall on his end terrace house, it was so bad the wall paper was self stripping! It drastically lowered the humidity in the house over several months, and he claimed his asthma was less severe, could have been wishful thinking but you never know, and not a lot of money.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

We fitted one in the bathroom about 8 years ago, Nowty.

Very happy with it, sure it makes all of upstairs feel ‘fresher’ when all the windows are closed in winter.

Very quiet, though I think the sound could annoy if you were in the same room all the time.

Incoming air is warmed acceptably (from a skin ‘draught’ test) and the humidistat to give the boost speed is ideal for the bathroom.

Was the best we could do for a quick and dirty MVHR solution.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Well the inlaws are finally in South America, they declined their last flight leg of their journey and opted for a final 15hr bus journey instead of a final 10hr bus journey. But in comparison to air travel there is no comparison, I've done it in the past it aint like the UK national express !

Much fewer seats, the seats recline almost flat for sleeping, great suspension, air con and a constant tea / coffee service. They will finally arrive home 7:30am (UK time), after the original set off time last Thursday evening. :?

This week my daughter, her husband and my grandson are coming to stay in Nowty Towers for just over a week, cos they will be homeless whilst they move from one rented flat to another. Don't know what it is with the millennial generation, they decided to change their hire van booking from central London from Friday to Thursday as they thought the traffic would be better. They are completely unaware that there is a national train strike on Thursday. :roll:

Anyway some progress today,

Decided to try my battery drill with the core drill, I have a much bigger drill but it has no safety clutch so decided to give the battery one a go on the inner breezeblock.

The block looks like a medium block, it was certainly not the lightweight variety.

Wall mounts for both the TV and aircon unit now installed.

The fun bit tomorrow will be using the core drill from the outside on the outer brickwork, not looking forward to that. :?
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3