AC coupled storage system

Westie

AC coupled storage system

Post by Westie »

We’re 11 years into our 25 yr FiTs contract and I would like to add storage, obviously a DC coupled battery with hybrid inverter retrofit would be nice but that’s going to put the FiTs contract in breech of the T&Cs. So looking for a standalone AC coupled system which, when the FiTs contract ends, I can then hook up to the existing array and be reconfigured as a DC coupled system. I specifically would like to use a system which can take advantage of Octopus Agile, so has anyone found a reliable system which can use the Agile ToU data feed and set charging times based on price thresholds. So far I’ve only found two suppliers, namely Powervault and Fox , who say they can do what I want , has anyone here invested in either of their ‘Works with Octopus’ systems?

Any other suggestions welcome!
Stinsy

Re: AC coupled storage system

Post by Stinsy »

The squirrel pod is “Agile Aware” too.

However there aren’t many people for whom Agile works. Go is almost always a better choice.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

There is a supplier selling Lux Power systems as being 'Octopus Agile' friendly, at least that's what the website and quote says.
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

I don't see why keeping the existing AC-coupled PV and putting it on the output side of the hybride inverter would be in breach provided it does not involve changing the existing Total Generation metering arrangement. What aspect is it your FIT company does not like?
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
nowty

Post by nowty »

With agreement from the FIT provider (easier said than done), the existing inverter could be replaced with a hybrid inverter and if the batteries are capable to be charged from the grid, the generation meter can be changed for a bi-directional one.
https://theecosupermarket.co.uk/product ... ion-meter/

Its in the OFGEM FIT guidance document, page 35, section 4.25.
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/ ... uidnce.pdf

PS - How much PV have you got Westie ?, or average annual generation, for my secret list of Camelot Members Green Generation. :mrgreen:
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=13&t=922
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Westie

Post by Westie »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:49 pm The squirrel pod is “Agile Aware” too.

However there aren’t many people for whom Agile works. Go is almost always a better choice.
Thanks for that Stinsy , that looks very interesting. Will do some research on Lux for sure. I agree re- the Go tariff but I don't have an EV as I still travel quite a bit and the infrastructure around here is poor.
Westie

Post by Westie »

sharpener wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:05 pm I don't see why keeping the existing AC-coupled PV and putting it on the output side of the hybride inverter would be in breach provided it does not involve changing the existing Total Generation metering arrangement. What aspect is it your FIT company does not like?
Thanks Sharpener but you've lost me there! Could you elaborate or sketch it out for me? The aspect they wouldn't like is the ToU grid charging, the TGM on the existing system is unidirectional ie only counts export, so if for instance, the DC coupled battery accumulated 5kwh overnight from the grid the import would not be counted, that would tho add 5kwh to the TGM when the battery was discharged. Nice but illegal ;)
Last edited by Westie on Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westie

Post by Westie »

nowty wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:29 pm With agreement from the FIT provider (easier said than done), the existing inverter could be replaced with a hybrid inverter and if the batteries are capable to be charged from the grid, the generation meter can be changed for a bi-directional one.
https://theecosupermarket.co.uk/product ... ion-meter/

Its in the OFGEM FIT guidance document, page 35, section 4.25.
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/ ... uidnce.pdf

PS - How much PV have you got Westie ?, or average annual generation, for my secret list of Camelot Members Green Generation. :mrgreen:
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=13&t=922
Thanks Nowty, you knowledge on this stuff is encyclopaedic! I read about bidirectional metering being able to used to allow DC coupled hybrid systems to be allowed under a FiTs contract but never would have found the info you've provided. However even if I achieved legitimately retrofitting a DC coupled hybrid store I can just imagine how many times I'm going to have to explain this to the FiTs provider/meter reader ;) and the actual process of registering the changes to legitimise the system would be challenging - especially as the solar FiTs scheme has ended I suspect. Do know anyone who has succeeded doing this?
nowty

Post by nowty »

Westie wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:55 pm However even if I achieved legitimately retrofitting a DC coupled hybrid store I can just imagine how many times I'm going to have to explain this to the FiTs provider/meter reader ;) and the actual process of registering the changes to legitimise the system would be challenging - especially as the solar FiTs scheme has ended I suspect. Do know anyone who has succeeded doing this?
Unfortunately that's probably the case, it really depends whether your FIT provider is on the ball or not and they don't like doing anything other than the minimum for their OFGEM admin fee.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Westie wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:45 pm
sharpener wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:05 pm I don't see why keeping the existing AC-coupled PV and putting it on the output side of the hybride inverter would be in breach provided it does not involve changing the existing Total Generation metering arrangement. What aspect is it your FIT company does not like?
Thanks Sharpener but you've lost me there! Could you elaborate or sketch it out for me? The aspect they wouldn't like is the ToU grid charging, the TGM on the existing system is unidirectional ie only counts export, so if for instance, the DC coupled battery accumulated 5kwh overnight from the grid the import would not be counted, that would tho add 5kwh to the TGM when the battery was discharged. Nice but illegal ;)
I am suggesting you move the connection between the existing Total Generation Meter and your supply/consumer unit to the output side of a hybrid inverter that has separate input and output connection (e.g. a Victron MultiPlus) like this https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start.

Then (i) you haven't disturbed the connections between your panels, the solar inverter and the TGM and (ii) there is no possibility of power from the batteries flowing through the TGM in the way you describe, so the DNO should approve your G99 application and you do not need to worry about bi-directional meters or even notify your FIT company.

You can also connect additional PV to the battery via a DC-DC MPPT converter and all this remains true. I can't see why this would not be compatible with a ToU tariff either, I have Economy 7 but others e.g. Agile may suit you better.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP