More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
spread-tee

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by spread-tee »

Well you know the rules Nowty, No photo or it didn't happen, mind you we would have waited till this morning to save all the blundering in the dark :D

I am a bit OCD regarding clipping pipes and wires, seen too much damage over the years caused by lack of them, indeed next week I am changing a HWCyl where one of the primaries is "carrying" the two zone valves and some pipe coming up out of the floor, it sagged and now the ceiling below is stained....................

BTW if that were mine I would clip it at the top of the loop as well, as you say it is quite heavy and soft copper tends to sag with time, for the sake of another hook and a couple of ties , happy days.

ATB Desp
Blah blah blah
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

spread-tee wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:44 pm Well you know the rules Nowty, No photo or it didn't happen, mind you we would have waited till this morning to save all the blundering in the dark :D

I am a bit OCD regarding clipping pipes and wires, seen too much damage over the years caused by lack of them, indeed next week I am changing a HWCyl where one of the primaries is "carrying" the two zone valves and some pipe coming up out of the floor, it sagged and now the ceiling below is stained....................

BTW if that were mine I would clip it at the top of the loop as well, as you say it is quite heavy and soft copper tends to sag with time, for the sake of another hook and a couple of ties , happy days.

ATB Desp
As would I along with a small extension to the insulation and run the condensate pipe round the back. That's me nitpicking though, looks like a great install.

Cable ties. Who pays what for why? My personal faves are Hellerman.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adapter arrived, my daughter is staying with us this week and has just told me she has Amazon Prime so I could have avoided the £4.99 next day delivery charge. :evil:

I vacuumed it down and was waiting to see if the vacuum holds.

Not sure to wait an hour or two or wait overnight. :?

After an hour its still full vacuum. :D

Then I read the installation manual and it says wait 1 to 2 minutes to ensure vacuum holds ! :lol:

Time to unleash the R32 gas. :twisted:

Check for leaks with leak detection spray, nothing. 8-)

But does it work ? ;)
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

22 is the spot. 24 depending on swmbo calibration of course. I generally end up with 24 deg overnight in Turkey. A nice kick in/out point.
You are now in window management for sure.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Not really hot enough to warrant the aircon but it had to be powered up and tested. :twisted:

Does it work ?, well was there really any doubt ?, of course it works, I'm freezing my ass off. :lol:

A little worry on start up as it did take a couple of mins to get going properly.

Inside its 23 degrees, outside its 19 degrees.

On the inside unit set to max cold,

On the outside unit,

And its incredibly quiet, I was a bit concerned about my neighbour, I've been doing the work covertly, mostly when they have been out but honestly, even though its 1 metre from the side fence, I doubt he'd even hear it with his ear to the fence. Compared to my GSHP its inaudible and my neighbour on the GSHP side says he can't hear that at all.

Later when its cooler, I'll do a heating test with it.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:28 pm Not really hot enough to warrant the aircon but it had to be powered up and tested. :twisted:

Does it work ?, well was there really any doubt ?, of course it works, I'm freezing my ass off. :lol:

A little worry on start up as it did take a couple of mins to get going properly.

Inside its 23 degrees, outside its 19 degrees.

On the inside unit set to max cold,

On the outside unit,

And its incredibly quiet, I was a bit concerned about my neighbour, I've been doing the work covertly, mostly when they have been out but honestly, even though its 1 metre from the side fence, I doubt he'd even hear it with his ear to the fence. Compared to my GSHP its inaudible and my neighbour on the GSHP side says he can't hear that at all.

Later when its cooler, I'll do a heating test with it.
Ach, yer a good lad Nowty to care so far.. Glad you are up and running.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:31 pm Ach, yer a good lad Nowty to care so far.. Glad you are up and running.
What's really, really winding me up is that the mandatory F-Gas commissioning part, vacuuming down the lines, opening the gas valves and checking for leaks, I honestly could have done in less than 10 mins, possibly even 5 mins if I was going for a record. :evil:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Ah but, the game is as they spec it. Its mostly set out for the lower percentage. That's not you yet you have taken the time... Massive honour to you pal. 🙏
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

I'm gobsmacked :shock: , I've just had it on heating mode, conditions are 22 degrees inside and about 10 degrees outside.

I wacked it on full heat and the indoor unit is. :twisted:

And the outdoor unit which was blowing stronger than earlier but still quiet.

I asked my son in law to stand in front of the indoor unit and he said it feels like Miami. :lol:

Measured power usage only around 900W as in the spec.

I feel enhanced shoulder months comfort and efficiency, I can see me fitting a couple more of these units in the future. ;)

I've now set it to 23 degrees and its ticking along almost silently at only 600w but its still chucking out tons of heat, followed a few minutes later to go into standby.

Sub £600 a pop including delivery and these are attractive units, very quiet, inverter types, Panasonic compressor, remote control and built in WiFi for smartphone control. And yet its circa £10k for an air to water air source heatpump ? :roll:

The only things extra I bought or needed are,
Vacuum kit and gauges, £80 on ebay, a one off purchase, no matter how many units I install.
Adapter for vacuum kit, £8 on Amazon, plus the optional £5 next day delivery, again a one off.
68mm diamond core drill, £20 off ebay, again a one off.
4 x Rubber blocks for feet £12, honestly didn't need them, practically no vibration from unit, could have screwed it directly to the timber post.
Trex duct tape, £8, only used half of it.
Drainpipe and fittings, £20.
Leak detection spray, £6, but could have used soapy water.
Paving blocks, already had.
Timber post cut offs and wood preserver, already had.
Stainless steel screws, washers and cable ties, already had.
Electrical, already have spare MCBs in consumer unit and plenty of cable, it even comes with a 13amp plug because its low enough power to plug into an existing ringmain socket.
Last edited by nowty on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Nice one, it will be interesting to see how well it copes with the winter load, I trust you will keep a record.

if only out GOVT could recognise the merits of a hybrid type system for heating and hot water instead of slavishly sticking to HP only.

Desp
Blah blah blah