A grand!

Stinsy

Re: A grand!

Post by Stinsy »

MattBW wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:47 pm I must admit I had solar installed in March and I couldnt afford the batteries at the time. I regret it now I've seen how much I'm exporting (75-90% most of the time).

Now I am trying to navigate how to get upgraded its a minefield both price wise and system wise. I am usually pretty good at researching tech solutions but this one is evading me.
A hybrid inverter costs (pretty much) the same as a standard inverter and they all work without batteries so you’d have been best to install one of those in the first place and in that case adding batteries would have been trivial.

If you do indeed have a standard inverter then you need to remove it and swap it for a hybrid inverter and attach the batteries. Beware there are currently long lead times and high prices on all this stuff. Frankly in a post-FiT world solar is a waste of time without batteries. Maybe you can get a solar diverter on your DHW tank to reduce how much you’re spilling to the grid?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
richbee

Re: A grand!

Post by richbee »

MattBW wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:47 pm I must admit I had solar installed in March and I couldnt afford the batteries at the time. I regret it now I've seen how much I'm exporting (75-90% most of the time).

Now I am trying to navigate how to get upgraded its a minefield both price wise and system wise. I am usually pretty good at researching tech solutions but this one is evading me.
Seems like adding a separate AC charger for the batteries is the way to do it without replacing your current inverter with a hybrid inverter - some info here

Code: Select all

https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=11609#p11609
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W