More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Adokforme

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by Adokforme »

Like you Nowty, sitting here in south facing lounge with the aircon gently circulating cooling air set at 24 degrees. It's consuming 408W's, the second unit in the lobby set at 25 degrees consuming just 212W's. PV generating 4.5 kW's so nice to use a little of it. Neighbour is charging his car on a freebie today as all our storage etc is topped out. Good times.:D
nowty

Post by nowty »

Changed the single socket to a double socket to add the ventilator and stuffed a load of insulation around the wall sleeve.

Outside, the condensate is dripping away nicely away from the wall. In heating mode, the condensate comes from the outdoor unit and drips out the bottom of the unit through a plastic spout.

And its now all operational, even the tennis player agrees, that was just a lucky picture.

And with washing machine on, still over 2kW being exported gone 6pm, unbelievable.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:25 pm Changed the single socket to a double socket to add the ventilator and stuffed a load of insulation around the wall sleeve.

Outside, the condensate is dripping away nicely away from the wall. In heating mode, the condensate comes from the outdoor unit and drips out the bottom of the unit through a plastic spout.

And its now all operational, even the tennis player agrees, that was just a lucky picture.

And with washing machine on, still over 2kW being exported gone 6pm, unbelievable.
Stunning result, well earned! 8-) :ugeek:
1.25kW incoming here.

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Aircons been running from 11am till bedtime every day at the moment and power wise it doesn't even dent the house battery level. I have found that shutting the conservatory door (from kitchen to conservatory), the colder air even seeps into the kitchen and makes the whole downstairs comfortable. Varies between 23 to 25 degrees but its not humid so feels fine. :D

The problem is, when we now go upstairs, its unbearable, 27 degrees and humid, doesn't sound much more but it is horrid. :evil: A very brief discussion with SWMBO and a second unit is now on order. :twisted:

And I reckon that I wont need the GSHP for heating till well into the heating season or need to boost the storage heaters till deep winter.

It will be on the other side of the house so hopefully no one will realise I have two and complain to the council. ;)
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:15 pm Aircons been running from 11am till bedtime every day at the moment and power wise it doesn't even dent the house battery level. I have found that shutting the conservatory door (from kitchen to conservatory), the colder air even seeps into the kitchen and makes the whole downstairs comfortable. Varies between 23 to 25 degrees but its not humid so feels fine. :D

The problem is, when we now go upstairs, its unbearable, 27 degrees and humid, doesn't sound much more but it is horrid. :evil: A very brief discussion with SWMBO and a second unit is now on order. :twisted:

And I reckon that I wont need the GSHP for heating till well into the heating season or need to boost the storage heaters till deep winter.

It will be on the other side of the house so hopefully no one will realise I have two and complain to the council. ;)
Your house, your rules. Sod the council. Can't see it being a problem. You are just ahead of the curve. We have 3 units in Turkey and I have most certainly used the heat function in Winter to bring the fabric of building up after a long absence. Quite a magic idea eh? Heats, cools, dehumidifys and well exceeded a 1:1 ratio. Good on ye!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

We have stuck several of these on houses before and never had a problem getting PP particularly as generally you can tuck the O/S units somewhere inconspicuous. If in the unlikely event someone does raise a fuss you will get retrospective PP, although it does cost a bit more.

Good to hear they work fine, I have fitted quite a few but never lived with one yet, apart from on holiday.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

nowty wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:15 pm Aircons been running from 11am till bedtime every day at the moment and power wise it doesn't even dent the house battery level. I have found that shutting the conservatory door (from kitchen to conservatory), the colder air even seeps into the kitchen and makes the whole downstairs comfortable. Varies between 23 to 25 degrees but its not humid so feels fine. :D

I installed a pre-gassed 2.5kW unit in our bedroom a few years ago and we find that just leaving the bedroom door wide open during the day cools most of the ground floor pretty well as long as we keep all the doors open. I think that the warm air from downstairs flows up the top of the stairwell to the bedroom with the cool air flowing underneath it, a bit like a thermosyphon. The effectiveness of this is such that I've not yet seen the need to fit another unit in our living room, although I am still thinking about it.

I'm also very impressed with the low power consumption. During the day we run ours on full power and at night switch it to "eco" mode, because it's pretty much silent then. Overnight it is running from battery power and, like you, I've found that it has very little impact on the charge level. This morning the battery was still sat at 54%, despite only being charged to around 85% yesterday afternoon (car was charging and taking a lot of the available power). Very impressed with the efficiency of these newer air to air units, I think they are probably the best option for those looking to retrofit heating and cooling. Should be no surprise, our cousins across the pond have been using them like this for years.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

So Nowty, if you have a 3:1 for heat at for example today's temp. You burn 500W power yet inside you see 1500W of heat?

Temp falls and you lose some of that heat coefficient, maybe drop to 2.5:1?

Same for the cooling side yet outdoor temp inverted?

Interesting stuff at a good price 👉.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Too lazy today to walk a few steps over from my computer to pick up the remote control to turn the aircon on, so what can I do ?

Use the WiFi APP to turn it on instead. :twisted:

Thought it would be a bit of a gimmick, but if I have two in different locations I can see the advantage of control from a smartphone. Also I am off to my folks next week and SWMBO is asking me, I don't understand the controls for the aircon, what am I going to do if the temp hits high 30's next week.

"Its going to be very bad for you !, :lol: only joking, just text me and I'll turn it on for you." :geek:

Also means I can turn it off at night rather than SWMBO leaving it on 24/7. :mrgreen:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:37 pm Too lazy today to walk a few steps over from my computer to pick up the remote control to turn the aircon on, so what can I do ?

Use the WiFi APP to turn it on instead. :twisted:

Thought it would be a bit of a gimmick, but if I have two in different locations I can see the advantage of control from a smartphone. Also I am off to my folks next week and SWMBO is asking me, I don't understand the controls for the aircon, what am I going to do if the temp hits high 30's next week.

"Its going to be very bad for you !, :lol: only joking, just text me and I'll turn it on for you." :geek:

Also means I can turn it off at night rather than SWMBO leaving it on 24/7. :mrgreen:
How luxury is that? Wi-fi'd A/C? :twisted: That's right up there on the best uses of WiFi list 22.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs