More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
AE-NMidlands

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:35 pm We only have aircon in our bedroom, a DIY split system I installed a couple of years ago. As mentioned earlier, if we leave the bedroom door wide open this does tend to set up a sort of thermosyphon, where warmer air from the hall flows up to the bedroom, with cool air flowing back down the stairs. The air flow is surprisingly high, holding a hand out near floor level on the stairs I can feel the cooler air flowing downwards. Not sure how much it's contributing to the lower temperatures we've had indoors over the past couple of days, as I changed too many things at the same time, but I think it would be fairly effective on its own.
I really like this idea and feel it could be applied much more widely. 1 downstairs (mainly) for heating and 1 upstairs mainly for cooling. As has been said, the heating bit might make a dent in gas consumption in the shoulder season, the cooling just makes life nicer when there is surplus pv available and it is hot outside.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

I've been back "in the zone" on Aircon No2. :D
The outer bricks a bitch, having a breather.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Another 3.5kW?

I've managed to make progress on mine today will post in my thread!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:03 pm Another 3.5kW?

I've managed to make progress on mine today will post in my thread!
Yep, another 3.5kW or 12,000 BTU one.

My old through the wall masonry drill was just too blunt to get through the outer wall, so I had to go out and buy a new one. The big hole is now done inside, but its quite high up on a ladder outside.

So taking it easy and having a rest before attempting the outside hole.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

The big hole all the way through is now done. :D

The lights through the hole are my stairwell lights.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:29 pm My old through the wall masonry drill was just too blunt to get through the outer wall, so I had to go out and buy a new one. The big hole is now done inside, but its quite high up on a ladder outside.

Not got a sharpening kit/gadget? Having said that, I would have to look at the instructions to find the biggest drill it would take. Next time I have it set up for masonry drills (the white grinding wheel?) I will do my big and long ones too - I haven't used them for decades. Thanks for the reminder.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:46 pm
nowty wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:29 pm My old through the wall masonry drill was just too blunt to get through the outer wall, so I had to go out and buy a new one. The big hole is now done inside, but its quite high up on a ladder outside.

Not got a sharpening kit/gadget? Having said that, I would have to look at the instructions to find the biggest drill it would take. Next time I have it set up for masonry drills (the white grinding wheel?) I will do my big and long ones too - I haven't used them for decades. Thanks for the reminder.
A
I sharpen some large diameter steel drill bits but don't have anything hard enough for masonry ones but the replacement one was only £2.50 sourced locally.

Your comment made me go look for my drill angle gauge which was one of the first tools I had to make by hand at the start of my apprenticeship 37 years ago in the Nuclear industry. I remember it had to be made completely by hand, hacksaw and filing with finer and finer files until you had to use chalk on the file to get the right accuracy.

When finished an instructor would use a set square to run along the parallel length whilst held up to the light. If any light was seen it, i.e. the top flat surface was not perfectly square it was given back to you.

The whole width of the parallel length had to be 12mm + /- 0.05mm and that measurement was checked with a micrometer. If it failed it was violently thrown into a scrap bin followed by loud laughter, and you started another one. :evil:

I recall I got mine to within 2 or 3 hundredths of a mm. 8-)

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

That doesn't look much like any micrometer I've used :D
Last edited by Countrypaul on Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

You find them next to the Manchester Screwdriver.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Masonry drills can be sharpened to a degree with a diamond disc in an angle grinder with a bit of care, it works quite well and after all accuracy isn't important here.

Your apprenticeship sounds similar to mine Nowty, I remember rubbing away at lumps of metal to make a try-square, vee-blocks, parallels, tap wrenches etc, still have them to this day. We didn't have those new fangled MM then it was all "thou" and "tenths of" back in 1974 at Hawkers :D 0
Happy days indeed.

Desp
Blah blah blah