More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Joeboy

Re: More Renewable Shenanigans at Nowty Towers

Post by Joeboy »

Interested in your temp settings after a couple of weeks running/acclimatising Nowty? We are at 25 degs eco on both systems 24hrs. Outdoor temps are 36-42 degs. At this setting and running eco we don't dry ourselves out and its very nice to walk in from outdoors. :D

Continuing to wait on the evaporative air con. Today apparently, its been stuck at a depot in Mugla. :cry:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:51 pm SWMBO moved her ironing station onto the upstairs hallway today and the new upstairs aircon unit has her approval.
That's a very petite unit (the one screwed to the wall!) I had been imagining something far bigger...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

It does look quite small. My “7kW” one is mahoosive!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Its 80cm long.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mine is 110cm.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:33 am Interested in your temp settings after a couple of weeks running/acclimatising Nowty? We are at 25 degs eco on both systems 24hrs. Outdoor temps are 36-42 degs. At this setting and running eco we don't dry ourselves out and its very nice to walk in from outdoors. :D
In the heatwave when it was 30+ degrees outside, I was running the upstairs one at 23 degs and the downstairs one at 24 degrees.

Today its 25 degs outside, I started running the upstairs one at 24 degs and the downstairs one at 25 degs. But the downstairs one is not actually coming on apart from the indoor fan so I am now running both at 24 degs and its better.

Its a really strange way of living now, sometimes it feels a bit too cool inside, so we go out in the garden with a beer and it feels great in the warmth for a short time, then later its a relief to get back into aircon land indoors again.

But the biggest plus by far is the temp in the bedrooms upstairs, if we have ran the aircon midday till midnight, it can go off and it stays comfortable to sleep all night long.

Looking forward to some outdoor cool weather, say 10 to 13 degs where I can see what settings are required in heating mode but keeping the GSHP and storage heaters off.

Then when it gets sub 10 degs, can the A2A HP's work well enough, and and what temp do I need to bring in the GSHP and then the storage heaters.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:09 pm
In the heatwave when it was 30+ degrees outside, I was running the upstairs one at 23 degs and the downstairs one at 24 degrees.

Today its 25 degs outside, I started running the upstairs one at 24 degs and the downstairs one at 25 degs. But the downstairs one is not actually coming on apart from the indoor fan so I am now running both at 24 degs and its better.

Its a really strange way of living now, sometimes it feels a bit too cool inside, so we go out in the garden with a beer and it feels great in the warmth for a short time, then later its a relief to get back into aircon land indoors again.

But the biggest plus by far is the temp in the bedrooms upstairs, if we have ran the aircon midday till midnight, it can go off and it stays comfortable to sleep all night long.

Looking forward to some outdoor cool weather, say 10 to 13 degs where I can see what settings are required in heating mode but keeping the GSHP and storage heaters off.

Then when it gets sub 10 degs, can the A2A HP's work well enough, and and what temp do I need to bring in the GSHP and then the storage heaters.
What setting to you have the fan on?

Have you investigated how the noise of the outside unit varies with the settings?

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:09 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:33 am Interested in your temp settings after a couple of weeks running/acclimatising Nowty? We are at 25 degs eco on both systems 24hrs. Outdoor temps are 36-42 degs. At this setting and running eco we don't dry ourselves out and its very nice to walk in from outdoors. :D

That's great to read, well done! f the temp drops a little here (say to 32 degs) we will go up to 26 degs eco setting, fan on lowest. Even that high there is still a pleasure to it and no real imbalance felt, the trick is not to over condition or its can be too drying. Used to get that effect in the middle east on some of the ships which ran central massive a/c systems. Could be like getting a Summer cold. It will take weeks to pull the whole fabric of the house down but after that it's a doddle with very little fluctuation.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I'm afraid I'm a profligate waster of self-generated power as we run our air con at 20°C overnight, on the eco setting which slows the internal fan right down so it's silent, then I turn it down to 18°C on the auto setting during the day, with the bedroom door open so the coolth makes its way downstairs. This (combined with the floor cooling when it's really hot) keeps the ground floor at around 21°C to 22°C. SWMBO would bend my ear if I set the thing to as high a temperature as 25°C!
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:50 pm What setting to you have the fan on?

Have you investigated how the noise of the outside unit varies with the settings?
I have it set to Auto and it generally is on the lowest setting and almost inaudible. The outdoor unit does vary but its not noisy, even on full power its not too bad and certainly half or even less the noise of my GSHP. On the lowest power the outdoor unit is really quiet.

The fans on my Sunny Island are about the same as the outdoor unit on full power.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3