Beer recommendations.. What's tickling your buds, bud?

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
John_S

Re: Beer recommendations.. What's tickling your buds, bud?

Post by John_S »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:33 pm
Well, not Budweiser obviously.
Certainly not American Bud, but I enjoy both Budvar, the Czech Bud, and Pilsner Urquell.

Otherwise, it is hard to find genuine imported beer rather than stuff brewed under licence in a big chemical works in the UK.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

The only beer that I really enjoy, and have missed for the past 40 years, is Spingo. Only available in one pub, a pub that I lived almost next door to for many years. No other beer comes close, although I've been told that Spingo is an acquired taste. I was practically brought up on the stuff, so have always thought that all beers should taste like it, and should have a decent ABV (Spingo "Middle" was about 6% ABV, IIRC, "Special" was more like barley wine, around 8% ABV). Not been back down there for years, not since my mother's funeral around 6 years ago, but do still miss the place.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

I remember (hazily) drinking Spingo in the Blue Anchor in Helston, after two pints the floor seemed to be inclined at about 45 degrees to the horizontal, I asked for another at the bar and the landlord checked if I was sure I wanted another. I did risk it but the rest of the day was a lot blurry.
I still think one of my favourites is fullers ESB though.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

If having time off beer, I love a chilled supermalt, a crate all help me leave the beer for a month or two, just the push I need sometimes.

Spingo? ..is it ever at beer fests?
Presumably it's bottled somewhere & for sale.

Desp ESB, Mmmm, sadly only pride on tap here, not kept particularly well in my local, improved by "sparkler off" imho.
Not the same in bottles.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
AGT

Post by AGT »

Bottle Bud Lite or Bottle Miller.
Or a Malbec.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

spread-tee wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:15 pm I remember (hazily) drinking Spingo in the Blue Anchor in Helston, after two pints the floor seemed to be inclined at about 45 degrees to the horizontal, I asked for another at the bar and the landlord checked if I was sure I wanted another. I did risk it but the rest of the day was a lot blurry.
I still think one of my favourites is fullers ESB though.

Desp
As a regular at the Blue one of our pastimes in summer was watching emmets come in and order pints of Special, ignoring the standard warning from Syd, the landlord, that the stuff was akin to rocket fuel. None of the regulars ever touched the stuff, we all stuck to Middle, for the simple reason that staying upright after a couple of pints of Special was something of an acquired skill.
Mr Gus wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:44 pm Spingo? ..is it ever at beer fests?
Presumably it's bottled somewhere & for sale.
Not as far as I know. It doesn't travel well, and I don't think it's ever been bottled. I used to buy a firkin from Syd and take it home for parties from time to time, and lots of locals would take home karrykegs, but it goes off very quickly when out of the keg. Another local joke was to point out to emmets the well used for the water for the brew, the cap of which is right outside the gents toilet block out the back . . .
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

OGB, that Tinners is rough stuff, salt water beer, my brain may be bad but that beer is not easily forgotten.

Now I'm going to have to look on my grainfather breing app for spingo, in case it's been stuck on there.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
billi

Post by billi »

Certainly not American Bud, but I enjoy both Budvar, the Czech Bud, and Pilsner Urquell.
do not forgegt
Staropramen
richbee

Post by richbee »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:01 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:33 pm Well, not Budweiser obviously.

In this hot weather I've been enjoying the pronounced grapefruit flavour within Brewdog 's "Elvis Juice"

The other night, a chilled stout (Liverpool brewery) by "Love Lane" maple syrup stout, ..they used a lot of maple, delicious, caramel, no sharp coffee notes
At 7.4% a definite armchair beer, much stronger than I'd usually drink ..session brews at 3.8 -4.2% ..but hey.

Oh the cheaper end of the scale a regular "I just fancy a bottle" ..I have no qualms with an £0.89p cold "banks" ale, (lidl, aldi, tesco) ..quaffable if you haven't tried it.
I cannot stomach Elvis Juice, I'm all about "Hazy Jane" and "Gamma Ray" though.

Hazy Jane for me too - have a friend who is addicted to elvis juice tho.
I'm currently in Germany with work for the first time since covid - back to my favourite Weizen - wheat beer🍻😁
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
John_S

Post by John_S »

billi wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:28 pm
do not forgegt
Staropramen
Brewed under licence at Burton upon Trent by/for Molson Coors who own Staropramen.
Enough said.