external battery enclosure

Mr Gus

Re: external battery enclosure

Post by Mr Gus »

If I recall correctly the main supplier of naff fibreglass utility meter cupboards also does more industrial ones, as the expect to see in engineering design, but I'd say that area of wall is suitable would be my start point for recessed wall mounted lockable secure, outdoor cabinet housing.

Govt Really needs to get its sh1t together where this sort of thing is concerned.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Would there be any chance of going down and placing the batteries under the floor? Obviously I have no idea of the house construction, or ground/water levels so this maybe completely unfeasible.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

https://www.exponentialpower.com/produc ... sures.html

Sticking that link as a basis for a pre-existing enclosure mock up visualisation, if fan is needed = +3 inches on all sides.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Should be easy enough to knock up a slim line box on the wall to house the batteries, I'd have thought. Probably better to just knock something up from scratch than try and find and adapt some other enclosure. Perhaps start off by fixing a sheet of marine ply to the wall, then making up sides and a front door, perhaps best made as a removable front panel. Suitably painted to match the house, perhaps with a bit of roofing felt over a sloped top panel to keep the rain out, and it shouldn't look too out of place. I have a feeling someone over on the "other place" did something like this, fit some electrical stuff in a wall-mounted home made outdoor cupboard.

I've found that the batteries don't seem to get warm from use, ours are in an unheated outbuilding and they stay a few degrees warmer than ambient all year around. I was worried that they would get too cold in winter, but the coldest I've seen them was about 8°C, when it was sub-zero outside. It seems they have a substantial thermal mass, and that, together with the heat given off from the inverter, is enough to keep them warm during cold winter nights.

Might be an idea to put some insulation in the enclosure, perhaps, just to stop them getting too cold in winter.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

openspaceman wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:57 am
Stinsy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:01 am The battery needs to be very close to the inverter. So moving both to the attic would be the first choice. I’ve seen plenty of installs where the batteries/inverter are housed in an outdoor lean-to enclosure. However the charge rate of the batteries drops when they get too cold so outdoors would really only be if there was no other choice.
Yes I understand the battery needs to be close, I thought this was because of I2R losses at the lower voltage.

When it is cold the PV will not be producing much.
The vast majority of people with batteries use them not-only to store solar-generated electric but also to store cheap-rate electric. Mine are in the attic and in the coldest weather the BMS specifies a max charge-rate of 5A per battery instead of 25A normally.

You’re right, you should keep the battery cables as short as possible because the lower voltage requires much thicker cables to keep the power losses and Mable temperature under control. As distance increases the cables soon become impractical. Therefore if you’re moving the batteries you should also move the inverter.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Just knocked up a rough sketch for a fairly simple outdoor cupboard, made from 145mm x 45mm treated timber (from any DIY shed) and some 19mm marine ply. Might give some ideas as to how a fairly slimline battery enclosure might be made to hold three US3000C batteries.
Battery enclosure.JPG
Battery enclosure.JPG (35.34 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Old Freecycle non freezer compartment fridge with a lock & some protective paint as an insulated option for bodgineering, ...we convert for cold smoking food, pull the compressor out & play around with it maybe? (..option for a metal carcass with insulation already present)

Responsible disposal of gases, naturally.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Thanks for all the input, I think OGBs graphic looks like the most practical solution, even I would be able to make that.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

openspaceman wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:11 pm Thanks for all the input, I think OGBs graphic looks like the most practical solution, even I would be able to make that.
Here's a couple of basic cutting lists for that enclosure. They need double checking, as I just lifted them straight out of the CAD model and bevels will need to be cut/planed to the edges of the rear, front and roof panels. I'd be inclined to just screw the front panel on and make the roof hinged for access to the cables and the battery pack switches:

Plywood cutting list.JPG
Plywood cutting list.JPG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
Treated timber cutting list.JPG
Treated timber cutting list.JPG (35.07 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Thanks again but wouldn't a fixed roof and maybe a bit more height for hands be easier to weather proof?
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery