external battery enclosure

Oldgreybeard

Re: external battery enclosure

Post by Oldgreybeard »

openspaceman wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:21 pm Thanks again but wouldn't a fixed roof and maybe a bit more height for hands be easier to weather proof?
Might be an idea, depends how exposed the location is. I made a hinged lid for a smaller box like this by glueing 3mm thick black rubber to the hinged roof and then sandwiching the black rubber sheet to the wall behind with a strip of aluminium, and that was completely weather tight. One of our bird boxes uses the same sheet rubber hinge and that seems to stay dry OK as well. I think it would be useful to be able to look in from the top at the battery front panels, if only to see the LEDs.

The other thing that occurs to me is that the battery link cables Pylontech supply won't be long enough for this configuration, so long ones will be needed, both power and data.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:39 pm [
The other thing that occurs to me is that the battery link cables Pylontech supply won't be long enough for this configuration, so long ones will be needed, both power and data.
That's going to be a problem then.

Can anyone tell be what lengths of cables are supplied with 3 pylontech 3000?
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

openspaceman wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:20 pm

The ones that come with each battery are around 160mm long, but you can get longer ones. I needed a couple of longer ones as I have my US3000C's mounted in two banks of three. The longer cables are available from the places that sell the batteries usually. I think mine came from ITS, bought at the same time as the batteries: https://www.itstechnologies.shop/collec ... m-extended
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

openspaceman wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:20 pm
Oldgreybeard wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:39 pm [

200mm IIRC.

You can buy 2m cables separately.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Only word of caution I would give is that there are two different types of long cable set for Pylontechs. The 2m long cables are usually terminated with a battery connector at one end and a eye terminal at the other, and are for connecting the battery packs to the switch fuse. The long cables needed for mounting the batteries side by side are the 600mm parallel connection cable set, as these have battery connectors at both ends. For some reason the 600mm parallel cables are way more expensive than the 2m long cable set. No idea why, doesn't really make a lot of sense, but I remember thinking it was a bit unreasonable when I bought a set.
AGT

Post by AGT »

What about a small kiosk that you see utility companies
Use, sturdy, waterprooof, locking facility.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

AGT wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:53 pm What about a small kiosk that you see utility companies
Yes looked at various sizes of those and haven't found one with a near enough match for sizes. So OGB's design is favourite at the moment , subject to approval by installer.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

AGT wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:53 pm What about a small kiosk that you see utility companies
I think space, specifically width, may be a concern for this application. I can relate to that, as all our stuff has had to fit into a fairly narrow alleyway at the back of the house, leaving room to be able to walk past it to get to the garden. Most of the utility type kiosks are fairly deep and not really wide enough, I had a look around at a few (as we used one to house our meter and external switchgear/distribution board) and couldn't find any that were slimline and would take three Pylontech batteries. Given the way that our kiosk cabinet has weathered over just 9 years I'm not that convinced that the ones that are readily available are that robust, TBH.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:06 pm
I think space, specifically width, may be a concern for this application. I can relate to that, as all our stuff has had to fit into a fairly narrow alleyway at the back of the house, leaving room to be able to walk past it to get to the garden. Most of the utility type kiosks are fairly deep and not really wide enough, I had a look around at a few (as we used one to house our meter and external switchgear/distribution board) and couldn't find any that were slimline and would take three Pylontech batteries. Given the way that our kiosk cabinet has weathered over just 9 years I'm not that convinced that the ones that are readily available are that robust, TBH.
However my son bought 3/4" marine ply for bird boxes and things, I used some for solid beehive floors. It weighs a ton... and he is really upset that it is delaminating a decade later. Even my beehive floors (which usually stay dry) are coming apart. Very annoying.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Far Eastern WBP ply would be at least as durable and about half the price.

Desp
Blah blah blah