Energy Tariffs

smegal

Re: Energy Tariffs

Post by smegal »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:26 am All a part of this government's efforts to try and penalise anyone looking to reduce their environmental impact. There seems little doubt that Truss is an ally of the fossil fuel industry and that they most probably have her in their pocket.
I'm not sure drastically reducing the payback period of household renewable energy generation/saving is penalising anyone trying to reduce their environmental impact. The current high prices and the October cap make energy saving an absolute no brainer.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Beau wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:05 am
nowty wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:41 am
Beau wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:19 am Any idea if the like of Ecotricity and Good energy will be covered this time? They were not covered by the previous cap but don't know if this is different
All energy suppliers should have had it in the past (standard variable rate based on OFGEM's price cap) but in some cases it has either been very difficult or impossible to move onto the standard variable rate.
Not sure that's the case. This was for previous cap

"However, three green suppliers - Good Energy, Green Energy UK and Ecotricity - have a permanent exemption from the price cap, because they contribute to the growth of renewable energy.

This means their tariffs can be higher than the price cap."

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/property-ad ... ide-300899
I've just been reading about the saga from OFGEM publications. It seems they did (certainly Good Energy) have a temporary full exemption from the regulated rates back in around 2018 to 2019 and they had their own renewable Standard Variable Rate. Its not terribly clear, but I think from Sept 2019 the temporary exemption expired and they had to have a Standard Variable Rate which was subject to the OFGEM regulated rates. So they ended up having two standard variable rates, one covered by the cap and one not covered by the cap. If customers did not choose the more expensive non regulated standard variable rate they ended up on the regulated standard variable rate. Some customers complained that they were not allowed to request to change to the regulated rates, I presume part way through contract. OFGEM ruled this year that Good Energy could refuse to move customers over as the company had provided evidence that customers had made an informed decision to stay on the non regulated standard variable rate at end of contract time.

I think OFGEM is going to be writing a lot of letters to energy suppliers regarding how they handle the new subsidised capped rates. :roll:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Beau

Post by Beau »

I have actually been able to get through to Ecotricity having been trying for a few days.

The bottom line is they don't know what's happening but should know by the first of October
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

Where did you guys take 15p for offpeak from? I'm looking at octopus and they still offer Go and Intelligent for 7.5p. What am I missing?
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

ducabi wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:36 pm Where did you guys take 15p for offpeak from? I'm looking at octopus and they still offer Go and Intelligent for 7.5p. What am I missing?
For a long time Octopus Go offered a 12-month fix of 15p off-peak / 5p peak (the peak price varied by slightly by region). They then bodged the renewal process and allows some people to renew for another 12 months on the same terms. These lucky people will get through the coming winter on an astonishingly cheap tariff.

Nowadays the price is 40p peak / 7.5p off-peak.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

ducabi wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:36 pm Where did you guys take 15p for offpeak from? I'm looking at octopus and they still offer Go and Intelligent for 7.5p. What am I missing?
Go is only available for those that are able to have a smart meter, so all the rest of us that are stuck with the older Economy 7 system cannot take advantage of it. This includes all the around 4 million homes that still use electric storage heating and off-peak hot water. We're on an E7 tariff that is broadly similar to most now, I think (not that we can switch at the moment anyway). The 7 hours off-peak tariff we've paying at the moment is 17.831p/kWh (was 7.56p/kWh until April this year).
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

I think Octopus are currently not offering anything to new customers so the prices quoted don't mean a lot.
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

Thebeeman wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:47 pm I think Octopus are currently not offering anything to new customers so the prices quoted don't mean a lot.
I'm Octopus customer so hopefully I can use them.

Why are people not moving to smart meters? Is it due to availability? I got offer from Octopus couple days ago to move to it and should have one installed early Oct.
nowty

Post by nowty »

ducabi wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:49 pm
Thebeeman wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:47 pm I think Octopus are currently not offering anything to new customers so the prices quoted don't mean a lot.
I'm Octopus customer so hopefully I can use them.

Why are people not moving to smart meters? Is it due to availability? I got offer from Octopus couple days ago to move to it and should have one installed early Oct.
Some people cannot have them because of no signal, some people don't want them and others big delays due to availability. And some who have SMETS 1 smart meters cannot be read some energy suppliers.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
marshman

Post by marshman »

To "qualify" for Go you need to have a Smartmeter AND an EV. As oldgreybeard says, those of us "out in the sticks" where smartmeters don't work, who are all electric 'cos the nearest gas main is miles away, and can't afford or refuse to pay £30k plus for a new EV, have little choice but to stick with the "old" E7 tariffs where the "cheap rate" is no longer anything like.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.