The right inverter for battery storage and some other Qs

nowty

Re: The right inverter for battery storage and some other Qs

Post by nowty »

ducabi wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:02 pm I was trying to stick to Sofar but given lack of availability I'm checking what else is available.

What's wrong with Solis? I can see one used on ebay quite cheap:
"Solis RAI-3K-48ES-5G AC Coupled inverter for battery storage 5G model"
Nothing if all you want is a battery inverter, similar spec to the Sofar ME3000SP.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

nowty wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:29 pm Nothing if all you want is a battery inverter, similar spec to the Sofar ME3000SP.
Anything better in sofar? Seems like solis has better availability.
If I went for hybrid, what are the most recommended inverters?
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Solis, Solax, SoFar, etc… all much of a muchness.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Bignose2

Post by Bignose2 »

Sorry to jump in on this thread, just found this forum.

I have a Solis 3.6kw std grid tied inverter & 4kw Solar PV. Installed June.

Originally not sure about batteries even though new prices going crazy but also no stock at that time & not sure when so just went with the basics.

Now of course think would be a really good idea.

Little confused by spec.
Appreciate I need an A/C inverter but some seems some battery charge only & some solar only.

I want it to charge off grid at night (is economy 7 but Not Octopus)
but day time etc. top up with the solar.
Also EPS (UPS) & quite a few seem to have this built in (I know a separate circuit with one or more socket or even a mini circuit)

I think 4.8kw is plenty for me at the moment.

I was looking at the Lux ACS3600 which seems to do it but most/all on here talk about the SQPOD. Pylon bat's I think seem best with this.
What is the difference.

Also originally the GiVEnergy looked good & perhaps still is, even seems availability of the bigger ..
I.T.S GivEnergy 8.2kWh Battery suitable for Economy 7 & Octopus Go £2,695+vat
GivEnergy 3kW AC Inverter Charger charges from Economy 7 or Octopus Go £865+vat
Over £4k + install I think bit more than I would like to spend as don't think I really need the 8.2 at the moment
Not sure if the GiVEnergy "approved installer" may push prices up of the install

I think availability is the issue but don't want to compromise but also end up waiting till after winter before it gets installed.

Is there a "description" that will make it clear only grid charge?

Thanks I/A & sorry for long intro.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Pretty much any AC coupled charger/inverter will do what you want. I have a Sofar ME3000SP, with six Pylontech batteries, and in winter the batteries mostly charge overnight during the Economy 7 cheap rate period, in summer they mostly charge from excess generation from the PV system. On dull days, like today, our PV generation has barely covered the house consumption, so tonight the batteries will top up from the grid during the cheap period, but only to my set limit of 55%. That leaves headroom for them to charge up from PV if the sun makes an appearance tomorrow, but if tomorrow is like today than 55% is enough to carry us through until the next overnight cheap period.

Off the top of my head I can think of three fairly common AC coupled inverters that are all much of a muchness in terms of performance, Solis, Sofar and Lux. Nothing to choose between them, so it pretty much comes down to availability.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Bignose2 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:12 pm Sorry to jump in on this thread, just found this forum.

I have a Solis 3.6kw std grid tied inverter & 4kw Solar PV. Installed June.

Originally not sure about batteries even though new prices going crazy but also no stock at that time & not sure when so just went with the basics.

Now of course think would be a really good idea.

Little confused by spec.
Appreciate I need an A/C inverter but some seems some battery charge only & some solar only.

I want it to charge off grid at night (is economy 7 but Not Octopus)
but day time etc. top up with the solar.
Also EPS (UPS) & quite a few seem to have this built in (I know a separate circuit with one or more socket or even a mini circuit)

I think 4.8kw is plenty for me at the moment.

I was looking at the Lux ACS3600 which seems to do it but most/all on here talk about the SQPOD. Pylon bat's I think seem best with this.
What is the difference.

Also originally the GiVEnergy looked good & perhaps still is, even seems availability of the bigger ..
Over £4k + install I think bit more than I would like to spend as don't think I really need the 8.2 at the moment
Not sure if the GiVEnergy "approved installer" may push prices up of the install

I think availability is the issue but don't want to compromise but also end up waiting till after winter before it gets installed.

+1 for any Ac-coupled inverter doing what you say. Buy what you can find in stock! (Be aware most of the inverters that are in stock are "HV" * models, whereas you (and everyone else) want the 48V models).

* don't even get me started on HV, LV, and ELV...

An alternative that will save space, is to swap your current inverter for a hybrid model.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

Bignose2 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:12 pm I was looking at the Lux ACS3600 which seems to do it but most/all on here talk about the SQPOD. Pylon bat's I think seem best with this.
What is the difference.

If you can go with Pylontech you can start with as little as 2.4 Kw and add as funds allow. The problem with GivEnergy, Eon and Sonnen etc. is that they fixed sizes.
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

btw is it worth buying a hybrid inverter or better to stick to separate ones for PVs and batteries?
I'm not planning PV until at least next summer so I wonder if there is a value added in having hybrid now.
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

If you have separate inverters it makes it more difficult to charge the battery from any PV produced unless the charger/inverter you use with the battery can use a CT or other mechanism to determine how much power it should use. You could charge the battery directly off the PV but then any excess the battery does not use may be lost. A hybrid inverter can charge the battery and supply the unused power to the house/grid.

To make best use of PV panels next year, you should be lookng to install Feb/Mar time imho. That would suggest you would only use your charger/inverter for perhaps 6 months before replacing/augmenting it. You might have 2 lots of inverte installation costs plus a loss (maybe a gain) on selling the original if you go for a hybrid inverter. I don't know the relative costs of a hybrid vs the other options but you should be able to check that easily enough.

Some hybrids like the Victron Multiplus II can sit between your pv inverter and grid (and also batteries and addition PV etc) but are more expensive.

If you are serious about PV, I would go for a hybrid.
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

Based on responses above I'm now looking for a hybrid inverter. I'm happy with either of the recommended brands (sofar, solis, lux) but is any of them better for the following spec:
- 3x US3000C batteries
- PV at some point, probably 4-5kWh. Does this mean I should go for 5kWh inverter rather than 3.6?
- DIY batteries. Not sure it's gonna ever happen but if I decide to build a battery myself would all of the recommended inverters work with them (subject to installing a separate bms for diy battery)?

If 3.6 is better due to DNO and other req approvals I'm thinking about: SoFar 3.6kW HYD 3600-ES.
Thank you!