Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Mr Gus

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Mr Gus »

I agree with nowty, as stated before there's a certain degree of unhealthy fixation potential that anyone reading from the outside can jump to the wrong conclusion about wind farms based on the sheer volume of thread discussion here, which doesn't (in the main take into consideration seasonal trends, historic data, output average over "x"" period of time.
Downtime is a pain, it may be down to bad luck, knackered parts fitted incorrectly, a maintenance team who don't know this model particularly well (how many are there in the UK & how many Boston energy service)? ..& It's a marathon of an anticipated 25 years not a sprint, so will take time to lick & stick a proper performance assessment together.

Whether I'll be as laid back when T2 starts turning remains to be seen, pressures of the economy & all that.
What numbers are per annum is important though, & peak delivery months (clear of problems) should satisfy the majority as graphs appear over longer term operations, this is merely year 1, in a anticipated 25 year life, or 9125 odd days, in which case what % of that are we currently standing? somewhere around the 175 days mark?..up time versus down time, bedding in, service time, seasonal anomalies, grid demand etc.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

For those not in on either project, here is a handy video from a guy who has money in both, with a bit of dashboard data that you wouldn't otherwise see..
Non corporate own experience summary.

Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:16 am
Adokforme wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:42 am Thanks again @Nowty that's really appreciated. I wondered why I was mostly disappointed when actual returns didn't seem to live up to expectations, without ever recording previously estimated figures. Have now added a column for that so as to have real data rather than just an impression. Perhaps I should add a second column for wind speed/direction at Cardiff Airport just to get an appreciation of how they stack up in comparison!
Oh dear, the lengths some of us go to. :lol:
To be fair to the WT1 it is so far living up to the annual estimated totals especially when you factor this Summer has had much more high pressure than normal. The capacity factor which I now publish every month shows it's not been too far out so far.

Last year the UK was down 20% in average wind resource which was the worst year since 2010 so if the general wind resource is down so will the turbine and vice versa. But these things tend to average out in the long run.

A more troubling issue is these breakdowns and a look at the last Coop minutes for WT1, you can read them from your online account, from "Documents", is that they don't seem to have got to the bottom of the high voltage trip outs it experienced early on with the high winds. It would be a shame if it goes back to tripping out at high output again over the windier months.
I have to apologise for appearing to be disappointed at WT1''s output when I'm merely trying to understand the correlation between Ripples projected estimates and reality come the day. In particular when it comes to higher outputs in relation to windspeeds/direction. The output will be what it will be and I fully accept that, I'm merely trying to learn, get an understanding of the figures related to these in the hope of getting an incling of likely energy generation in the day/s ahead. The thought often occurs to me when watching the weather forecast after the late night news.
In the very early days when asked for suggestions to enhance the website, then realtime windspeed and direction were two requests of mine although I appreciate the information may not be easy to obtain or considered important enough to warrant the extra effort.
Your pointing me to weather at Cardiff Airport certainly offers me an alternate and more viable option to work with in the coming months for which I am most grateful. Thank you.
Long Live Ripple and all who sail with her.
Great to see they've attracted over £2m now and due to close in a few days for anyone not yet onboard! :D
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

No apologies necessary, it's all healthy discussion we can learn from, & you are right to ask questions / seek info by bringing an opinion to the thread.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stopped at a smaller turbine today just to enjoy the whoosh. :)

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Ripple pricing update for members. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raqq1FUvxT0
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Sounds like instead of waiting 2-3 years to connect up renewables projects of scale, govt energy ministers & environment ought be talking about getting stuff done faster in order to feed into the system ala "war footing" but without the associated connotation of the phrase "Gerry built"

In the meantime civil engineering firms are dropping like flies, last week it seemed to be every other day one went into administration.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:54 pm Ripple pricing update for members. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raqq1FUvxT0
Another update following the video,

As an update to the video - BEIS confirmed yesterday that they are still working through the details of who to move to CFDs and how to move them. We will keep in touch with the relevant officials as they progress their thinking. The Government's concern seems to be around companies 'unduly profiting' from the Ukraine war. Given Ripple members' savings increased, but only alongside even larger increases in their electricity bills, it doesn't feel there is a strong case for a change. We will keep you updated though.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Another Fully Charged episode featuring Ripple Energy.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

email this morning:
We're launching a new feature to improve how we communicate with you and also allow you to connect with all Ripple members for the first time. With a thriving, passionate community of over 12,000 members, we wanted to give you a space to connect, engage and discuss the things that really matter to you with other like-minded members.
Introducing your Ripple Community

Your Ripple Community is a space for you to engage with other members on a wide variety of topics. It will also bring you closer to what's going on at Ripple HQ, allowing you to connect with Team Ripple. Here are a few highlights:

Get advice from other members: We've created spaces to help members get advice and recommendations from each other in areas such as roof top solar, electric vehicles and green self build projects
Learn more with Knowledge Base: Everything from how the electricity market works to how we'll build your projects. We've created a space where we'll share quick videos on some of the most commonly asked questions from members
Help shape your future tech features: Our tech team have a space where they'll be sharing all the latest developments they're working on on behalf of members. It will give you a chance to request new features and be the first to see some early development work to help build and shape Ripple for members.
Graig Fatha & Kirk Hill: All the latest photos, videos and news from both sites
in addition to a comment on the website when you log in. I quite like it here, will be interested to see what sort of discussions happen there!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!