Newbie Advice Sought

Introductions

Please introduce yourself. This lets other members know who you are, we try to be a friendly community. It also helps to keep the forum free from spam bots by proving you are human (or at least sentient).
kla456

Re: Newbie Advice Sought

Post by kla456 »

Newbie wrote: From what I can find its only got a vehicle to load function, i.e. there is an onboard AC inverter (not grid tied) so there is a 13amp 240v 3 pin standard socket on it for plugging domestic electrical devices into it.

I don't see any bi-directional DC VTG charging function./quote]

I attended the KIA EV6 roadshow at the local dealership but the visiting KIA team had no detail about VTG. I signed up for an EV6 (delivery in March). I also asked what wall charger to use for EV6's 800-volt high-speed charging. I think you are aware of Octopus EV Powerloop?
https://www.octopusev.com/powerloop
kla456

Post by kla456 »

Stinsy said: A larger battery pack will get you through the night on solar-generated electricity in summer, and will ensure a greater proportion of your imported electricity is low-carbon/cheap "Octopus Go" electricity in winter. How much power do you use overnight? /quote]

I don't use much at night - She has an early start so we eat and sleep early. The system draws 400watts constant for fridge, air, etc. However since Octopus Go, EV charging and clothes/dishes washing eake place in the early hours. Charged the e-UP last night from half-full using 9kW - thats 45p for approx. 45 miles - not bad!
kla456

Post by kla456 »

Paul_F said: Depending on where you are, 3-phase may be relatively simple. If you're planning on charging 2 EVs, electrical heating and hot water via Go/Go Faster then you're likely to find it tricky to charge everything at once and take advantage of a narrow cheap-rate slot. You're likely only to need to make alterations as far as the meter box, and then connect any new PV arrays directly up to it - no reason not to leave the house wiring on a single phase as it is at the moment. Really depends how you connect to the local grid and whether it's single or 3-phase at that point./quote]

Your comments have been very helpful. I am in contact with DNO who gave budget of £1500 to replace my single-phase connection with 3-phase - very reasonable. So, I will do as you suggest, bringing 3-phase to a new cabinet at front of house and single phase from there to existing consumer unit. Are you able to diagram of how to use the 3 phases in an optimal way for concurrent charging? I have ordered a KIA EV6 which supports 800v high-speed charging. Do you know if is necessary to install a non-domestic wall charger? Do you have anything to add to my conversation with nowty and Stinsy regarding bi-directional V2G charging for an EV6?
kla456

Post by kla456 »

Stinsy said: The 2000 are 25kg each which is heavy. Whereas the 3000 are 32kg each which is HEAVY. Is that a consideration? /quote]

Weight would be a consideration if located in the attic alongside the present inverters and heat pump kit. But, seems to me there should be a new enclosure for all the PV expansion kit and batteries, on the ground at front of the house beside the wall charger and proposed 3-phase rising main. Maybe 2m x 2m with standing room - a timber shed lined with MgO board?
nowty

Post by nowty »

Octopus Powerloop is currently only for Nissan Leaf (via CHAdeMO).

If you go for a 3 phase supply you can get a 3 phase charger giving a max charge rate of 22kW and the EV6 does appear to support that rate of AC charging, not many EVs do. Example, my forthcoming Tesla Model 3, and my current BMW i3 will only support a max of 11kW AC charging.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3