Immersion boost & Tesla Powerwall

Andy

Re: Immersion boost & Tesla Powerwall

Post by Andy »

Nigel52 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:11 pm I guess the question is do I push it with the supplier and insist on adding an EDDI booster?
You could just get an electrician to install it after. Its a simple job if you are able to run a cable to the consumer unit for the CT clamp.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Generally with battery inverters, if you can set a minimum export setting on the diverter (immersion boost) it should work. If you cannot set a minimum export, it may or may not work.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

nowty wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:38 pm Generally with battery inverters, if you can set a minimum export setting on the diverter (immersion boost) it should work. If you cannot set a minimum export, it may or may not work.
That works well if you want battery charge priority, but I've found that it doesn't work at all well if you want hot water priority. To get hot water priority you need to be able to set a threshold on the inverter, to stop it charging until a certain export threshold, so allowing the hot water diverter to "win" the race every time. I've not found a foolproof way to do this. I've frigged the CT settings on the inverter, that make it more likely that the Eddi will "win", but the variable time delay with both the inverter switching and the diverter switching seem to throw enough variation into the mix to cause it to fall over from time to time. I often revert to manually boosting the Eddi, just to try and get it to charge the hot water even if the battery is not at 100%.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Most days this summer (all but 3 I think) I have been able to fill the battery and heat enough water for a bath so it has hardly mattered what happened first, I manually switch the immersion.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

openspaceman wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:40 pm Most days this summer (all but 3 I think) I have been able to fill the battery and heat enough water for a bath so it has hardly mattered what happened first, I manually switch the immersion.
Depends how big the battery is and how big the PV system is. It typically takes around 4kWh to heat our hot water. We have a 6kWp PV system and just over 21kWH of battery capacity. The majority of the time we don't generate enough to fully charge the battery, so it's important to use that the hot water heats first.

For those with smaller batteries or larger PV systems the priority may not matter. Today was a good example. We generated 21kWh, but I forgot to manually switch the hot water to charge, so we've ended up with a battery at full capacity by around 5pm, but we only put about 1kWh into the hot water, so it will end up getting heated off the grid tonight.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Nigel52

Post by Nigel52 »

Thanks everyone for replying. As our water is heated by the gas boiler which also heats the water in the underfloor central heating on three floors, I may stay with proposed system to start with and when the Tesla Powerwall finally arrives see how the system works before tweaking it. At least the PV will help subsidise all the other daily electric including multiple heating flow pumps and the battery may help nighttime hours.
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

We have Powerwall and focus on recharging off solar during the day. We also have an iBoost+ which we raised the threshold to 500W to stop it cutting in over the battery. 10Kw of solar here with ASHP.

I read somewhere you are better using your excess solar to drive your ASHP, much more efficient than the immersion
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

NikoV6 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:41 am I read somewhere you are better using your excess solar to drive your ASHP, much more efficient than the immersion
Pros/cons

HP is more efficient than a resistive heater by a factor of its CoP. However HP is “on or off”, requires a lot of power to get going, and can be damaged if cycled too frequently. Whereas a resistive heater can be turned on and off as much as you like and power can be varied.

Basically, if you have enough power in your batteries to run the HP for a few hours it is better to use that. Otherwise the resistive element and diverter are a better choice.
Last edited by Stinsy on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:17 pm
NikoV6 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:41 am I read somewhere you are better using your excess solar to drive your ASHP, much more efficient than the immersion
Pros/cons

HP is more efficient than a resistive heater by a factor of its CoP. However HP is “on or off”, requires a lot of power to get going, and can be damaged if cycled too frequently. Whereas a resistive heater can be turned on and of as much as you like and power can be varied.

Basically, if you have enough power in your batteries to run the HP for a few hours it is better to use that. Otherwise the resistive element and diverter are a better choice.
During summer months when I have an excess of generation I heat my water via the resistive immersions for the reasons Stinsy has mentioned. I am only just now starting to resort to my heat pump for water heating as solar generation is now dropping. Heatpump running hours are a finite resource and costly in terms of the capital expense of replacing them compared with immersions.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Thanks both! Runs off to lower threshold on iBoost! :D