Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:30 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:07 pmDate?
This month.
Received final invoice a few days ago and it will be fully paid for on Monday. Had to split payments into 3 because the total exceeds my bank limit unless I pay a CHAPS fee.
Can you not pay by debit card?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:10 am Can you not pay by debit card?
No, only the initial £100 reservation fee can be paid by card.

As they are American they call it "Wire" the payment. But as its a UK branch (Citibank in Canary Wharf) with a sort code and account number it can be paid by BACS account transfer. The account you use needs to be in your own name and your order reference needs to be included in the reference field.

As each payment is made the amount owing is reduced on my online Tesla account.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

I'm afraid its that time of year again when shading plagues much of my PV system, and we have past the autumn equinox. :cry:

Also an entire day of rain and I have generated today only 1kWh. :roll:

Home battery is down to the last 10kWh of usable storage, now some of you guys will think 10kWh's ?, my battery would be full, but I am bricking it. :shock:

But less than 2 hrs to go to the cheap rate period and tomorrows looking sunny here. Also gas boiler still switched off, I will try and make it to Dec before it goes back on. If its a mild winter might even get away without it completely, the Octopus Intelligence tariff with its 6 hours (min) of 5p kWh is no more expensive than gas and for the last couple of days I have been boosting the storage heaters on cheap rate and using the heat pump on the batteries during peak rate hours to heat the house.

So maybe its not Nowty Towers Vs grid anymore, but working with it to reduce as much as possible the dirty gas. :mrgreen:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Was out tonight on an EScooter, excellent wee zippy thing thru the Turkish night, silent as ye like! Sun's done here at 5pm as it descends behind the mountains.

Dunno about u Nowty but I'm looking forward to those months outside April to September. They are a doddle in themselves. The real challenge is the Trimming of those shoulder months back from the grid. :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Back in 2010 Nowty Towers consumed 28,000 kWh of gas, that was a crazy cold winter so was over the average and before I had solar. :o

Since then the lowest its been in any 12 month consecutive period was 4,009 kWh from 1st Dec 2019 to 30th Nov 2020. :)

This winter, with the help of increased gas cost, my octopus Intelligent leccy tariff, and the soon to be spinning ripple wind turbine I intend to smash that record, I am giving myself a target of not to exceed 2,000 kWh of domestic gas from 1st May 2021 to 30th April 2022. :D

Since 1st May 2021 I have only used 126 kWh of gas, just for cooking as gas boiler for heating and hot water was switched off 30th April 2021, ok that was the summer months but now it gets harder. The only caveat I will add is if my heatpump has a terminal breakdown. Also I don't intend to freeze my ass off or spend the winter in a warmer climate. SWMBO has used all her annual leave up this year and we won't be going anywhere out of the country till my daughters wedding in Italy next May which has been postponed 3 times because of covid restrictions.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Why do you cook on gas? Modern electric hobs are amazing. Powerful, controllable, easy to clean…

Would you consider coming off gas completely? An air-to-air heat pump could provide aux heating in the coldest periods and offer redundancy to your wet heat pump/storage heaters.

I’m tempted to fit an air-to-air to augment my GCH. Idea would be to run it during the 2030-0030 go-faster period.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I much prefer gas for cooking (hob) and electric oven, hate electric hobs. We have a gas main in the road outside the house but we use a small propane bottle for the hob which lasts ages.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Tinbum wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:10 am I much prefer gas for cooking (hob) and electric oven, hate electric hobs. We have a gas main in the road outside the house but we use a small propane bottle for the hob which lasts ages.
I used to think that. Electric had much less power and took a long time to react (eg if a pot was boiling over you'd turn it down and it'd continue heating the pan for a while). However modern induction hobs are a whole other KoF. Loads of power, all of it goes into the pan, reacts instantly, looks good easy to clean, etc...

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:05 am Why do you cook on gas? Modern electric hobs are amazing. Powerful, controllable, easy to clean…

Would you consider coming off gas completely? An air-to-air heat pump could provide aux heating in the coldest periods and offer redundancy to your wet heat pump/storage heaters.

I’m tempted to fit an air-to-air to augment my GCH. Idea would be to run it during the 2030-0030 go-faster period.
We are much the same as Tinbum. Happy to cook electric on my mobile hobs if the excess power is there but mostly fallback to woodstove or gas hob at this time of year. This priority list may change once Ripple WT is outputting! Sub 10MWh gas is the goal this year and all being equal hopefully deeply sub 10! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs