Solis RAI-3K 5G

Moxi

Re: Solis RAI-3K 5G

Post by Moxi »

Did you sort the password issue out for Techview or did you set this all up at the inverter, I only ask as i know when i sorted things through the inverter interface it was all too easy to think I had changed something but then find out later that I hadnt saved the setting by exiting the menu in the wrong manner.

Moxi
Umski

Post by Umski »

Moxi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:27 am Did you sort the password issue out for Techview or did you set this all up at the inverter, I only ask as i know when i sorted things through the inverter interface it was all too easy to think I had changed something but then find out later that I hadnt saved the setting by exiting the menu in the wrong manner.

Moxi
No not yet, I have raised a ticket with Solis for the password (I suspect it is linked to having a cloud account and hence needing the logging stick which I have now ordered - could be another 70 quid wasted :o) - I've gone through the settings numerous times now to double check it makes sense but will try it again. I haven't found any reference to doing a 'factory reset' as it were to default to the out of box settings, which would have been my next go-to...
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Umski

Post by Umski »

Thanks chaps, I had slept on this and read some anecdotal comments about it not playing nicely with lead acids or 'custom' battery settings in some cases. I went back out and had a review and *think* it may well be doing what it should now:

1. Checked the Back-up port (off grid without the mains isolator) - as a temp test just hooked up a 4-way and a hairdryer - all good, battery discharging as expected so that works, in a way I like this as it acts as a UPS - that gives me food for thought...

2. Went through every setting just to double check

3. Decided to try changing the battery config to 'user define' and then back again to lead acid - as you say some menus are 'save and send' others just change on the fly

Turned the AC isolator on and let it settle and it started to play - my diverter is a little more sophisticated in that it measures energy level rather than just power and I could see it was immediately trying to draw 1.2kW from the Solis for short moment (this will need tweaking to avoid draining the batteries into the hot water), BUT importantly, I think it is now doing what it should be in order to minimise import - I've left it on for the moment to see if there is any other weirdness with the diverter (revisiting 10 year old code which I mostly didn't write is a painful experience!) - I also have an extra CT now so I can actually measure the input/output of the Solis with my existing open energy set up...

Waiting until the PV drops off later today to see if it does indeed work - fingers crossed - no idea what the actual solution ended up being other than possibly changing the battery config and then back again!

P.S. I think the on/off setting is there to allow you to tweak settings with power but not 'on the fly' as it were with loads connected i.e. it allows the back-end config to be changed but disconnects all the power electronics shunting potentially large currents back and forth
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I thought I would post here as its about solis inverters and pylontech batteries, one the last few occassions I have noticed that following a period of hybernation of the batteries (8 or so hours at 20% SOC) they only accept 400W of charge.

Has anyone got any ideas on this ? Its an AC connected system, 3000C batteries, I did wonder if I needed to do anything with the dip switches as they are all set to 0000 at present.

Moxi
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

The pylontechs sometimes reduce the max charge rate from 25A per battery to 5A per battery when they get cold. Maybe this is your problem?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi Stinsy,

I had wondered about that, but its 15 degrees C in the cabinet and I wouldn't expect the pylons to be "cold" until we approach frost temps.

As a quick check I isolated the inverter turned off the batteries and then restarted the inverter and restarted the batteries which after soft start pulled 3.3kW of charge for two minutes and then trailed down to the incoming solar availability and have modulated in line with solar gain since.

Moxi
Umski

Post by Umski »

Well my optimism was short lived - no juice from the inverter as the PV dropped off - it's still a puzzle what the heck it is doing. My suspicion now lies with the calculation for what it needs to add to the mix in order to bring the grid power down to zero (or close to).

Question for those with a Solis - when it is discharging, doe the Grid Power value (under Information>System Info) remain close to zero or does it fluctuate and match what the load is? I'm not really sure what it means by 'Grid Power'.

Second is the value positive or negative - is it possible to decipher what positive or negative means in terms of import/export? I've tried the CT of the Acrel in either direction and that seems to switch depending on the current flow (can't recall which way round it shows this) but it's definitely oriented the correct way, same for the PV CT.

As an experiment, I changed the CT install value to Grid and tried the CT on the meter tail (which is where the Acrel CT was) - the info showed the Acrel Meter reading as NULL and was reading the CT as expected, but that still made no difference.

This is doing my head in now :x
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi Umski,

I have been away so apologies for not replying sooner.

When my solis is feeding the house I see zero import unless theres a load change of notable size where we may see 1 to 7W from the grid for a short period until the inverter adjusts, this is the same if loads shift down where we may export a few watts to grid.

Moxi
Umski

Post by Umski »

No probs, I have some success at last - I am an idiot - I had wrongly (though logically) assumed that having the meter CT on the neutral tail but facing the opposite direction would be okay, but again I slept on it and managed to shuffle it round in order to squeeze the CT on to the live tail (my energy monitor is just measuring current whether positive or negative so doesn't care that it's on neutral) - it seems the Acrel does too but the Solis needs something else data wise and hence the CT needs to be on the live side and on reflection it is looking to balance current going back to the grid which would happen via the live leg (at least that's my thinking looking at the way the power output is measured).

If it helps anyone else, here were my observations (a bit weird as I would consider the opposite!)

Information>System Info:
Grid power = positive when discharging, negative when charging

Information>Meter info:
Meter Power = positive on Export, negative on import

Anyway, so it started playing and at least for a short period as the PV dropped off did it's thing. I then have a couple of further snags but the fundamentals seem to be okay at least. My diverter uses an 'energy bucket' concept, rather than pure power and so when it sees any 'export' energy (over time) it fires up the triac and occasionally tries to draw energy from the Solis, which it happily obliges too as it is also trying to balance the import/export - unfortunately this also happens with no PV (I think a simple AND statement should solve this so that when there is no PV at all, the diverter doesn't think there is excess energy being pushed to the grid). I can't at the moment think of a way to prevent this during the day - the code wasn't mine but I have tweaked it to suit, the hardcore loop part is harder to interpret (my electrical engineering and associated maths is a little rusty after 20 years sat behind a desk slowly allowing my brain to turn to mush!)

Second, is I was pleased to see my net import drop to zero at dark (though I need to add another CT to measure the Solis charge/discharge and then the associated addition/subtraction for it to make sense) - that lasted from around 5pm to 1am which I was a little disappointed by but then I only have a 65Ah bank and that limits me to a theoretical 1.6ish kWh, but at the low level voltage, it then just drops off completely - I can see why lead acids are a pain in the backside. I am hoping that today it will then recharge and continue as it should - my experience was that I had to do a force restart of the HMI (new one to me, I've always considered it a MMI or UI) for it to then work as it should again (not what I want to be doing every day!)

Last tweak I may do to extend the run time, is to limit the discharge current which I'd set at 40A (giving me 2kW for using say the kettle or microwave) but the lead acids just won't sustain that and pull the voltage down and then it cuts out. I am charging at max 13.5A (0.2C value) but I think to preserve their life I'm an going to aim for maximum run time for background loads and limit the discharge to 10A (500W roughly) and import any excess. Roll on the US5000!

Thanks all for your input, it made me think and hopefully this debacle will help others with the Solis!