Octopus Go, Go Faster and IO temporarily suspended for new signups and renewals

nowty

Re: Octopus Go, Go Faster and IO temporarily suspended for new signups and renewals

Post by nowty »

nowty wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:58 am Agile by its nature is a variable tariff so it is still covered even after 1st Oct for new or renewing customers.
I got that wrong. :oops:

All smart tariff's with Octopus are fixed rate products and Agile has been pulled too.

I'm coming round to the unpleasant conclusion that the government guarantee is actually a subsidy on peak rate which effectively is a subsidy on gas.

By accident or design ?
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Re: Octopus Go, Go Faster and IO temporarily suspended for new signups and renewals

Post by Oldgreybeard »

nowty wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:57 am
I'm coming round to the unpleasant conclusion that the government guarantee is actually a subsidy on peak rate which effectively is a subsidy on gas.

By accident or design ?
Almost certainly by design, as this is all about the media presentation of government action, not the reality on the ground. There will be many people like us, one of the around 4 million UK homes that use Economy 7, and pretty much all E7 users use far more off-peak electricity during the winter for heating and hot water. The fact that their real heating bills are going to increase by way more than the price cap appears to still remain hidden as far as the media go, as they are pretty much all only reporting on the peak rates.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

When they set the government guarantee prices they should have capped E7 as : cheap rate = gas price and peak rate = same price everyone else pays. Baring in mind E7 is used for heating by some of the most vulnerable in society with poorly-insulated houses...

But I don't think ToU tariffs were even part of the discussion.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Makes ye glad that you've done all you can to take care of business on your terms at your home.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:16 pm Makes ye glad that you've done all you can to take care of business on your terms at your home.
This mild, sunny, October is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. But yes I (like you chaps) "fixed the roof while the sun was shining" by spending my money and time on solar and batteries, as well as insulation and energy efficiency, so that I'm in a much better position than most!

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:25 pm This mild, sunny, October is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. But yes I (like you chaps) "fixed the roof while the sun was shining" by spending my money and time on solar and batteries, as well as insulation and energy efficiency, so that I'm in a much better position than most!
I hope this is true. But I'll admit to being a bit unnerved in recent weeks by it seeming to be the opposite. For example this talk about earning money back from your supplier for not using energy at peak time; great! Until you read the smaller print (ok, acknowledging none of it is finalised yet, but reading the predicted small print, or whats reported in the press) you see that it's a rebate based on using less than your average between 4pm-7pm or whatever, which for those of us using batteries already is 0. So how are we going to reduce it below 0.

Having recently worked out that I'm probably saving upwards of £2 or £3 a day by time-shifting already then its unlikely it would work out better to turn off the batteries now, irresponsibly use peak time electricity so that I can claim back money for then not using it when this scheme starts.

But nonetheless it feels like a bit of a kick that people who thus far haven't given a shit will be rewarded while those of us trying to do the right thing now.. yeah "sod ya".

its a good thing I do a lot of this for personal enjoyment and some social responsibility rather than just money isn't it :)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:25 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:16 pm Makes ye glad that you've done all you can to take care of business on your terms at your home.
This mild, sunny, October is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. But yes I (like you chaps) "fixed the roof while the sun was shining" by spending my money and time on solar and batteries, as well as insulation and energy efficiency, so that I'm in a much better position than most!
At this moment in time we have around 1.5kW PV incoming to the battery. Not a huge amount yet one which I am enormously proud of and enough to keep my son off the grid. He knows the score and lives properly within parameters taught by his Dad. :) Other people will always move goalposts, the game is knowing what to do. My Go Faster tarrif expire at Xmas, we'll see how it goes. I really don't want to turn the gas back on. :cry:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:32 pm
At this moment in time we have around 1.5kW PV incoming to the battery. Not a huge amount yet one which I am enormously proud of and enough to keep my son off the grid. He knows the score and lives properly within parameters taught by his Dad. :) Other people will always move goalposts, the game is knowing what to do. My Go Faster tarrif expire at Xmas, we'll see how it goes. I really don't want to turn the gas back on. :cry:
3rd load of washing is in the washer, 2nd is in the tumbler, A2A sat on but idle because house is up to temp, shed storage heater benefited from an extra 1h45m daytime boost, PHEV charging at 1.4kW, and the batteries are still at 94%.

Not bad for middle of October!

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:40 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:32 pm
3rd load of washing is in the washer, 2nd is in the tumbler, A2A sat on but idle because house is up to temp, shed storage heater benefited from an extra 1h45m daytime boost, PHEV charging at 1.4kW, and the batteries are still at 94%.

Not bad for middle of October!
Good effort! I also looked at WT1's 4mph nothingness today in comparison to WT2-9's 16mph+ and thought 'only a year to go'! :D :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Nowty, Joe,
Why, in the middle of a teetering energy supply approaching winters increased usage has bo govt minister spoken to energy companies with work in progress / about to start & not incentivisd / pruoritised them coming online early by streamlining processes & speeding up groundworks whilst the weather was still good? ..with the pre-existing turbines at turnberry site (within blade spans, you lot would crucify me for saying "within feet" for ground surveys etc that the ground surveying was essentialy done 1st time round, & get everything prepped faster (meantime civil engineering firms are going to the wall)

Turnberry was already a done deal last year, ukraine start of war was back end of feb, ..7 months later & youd have thought there would be energy security measures applied to builds planned and in progress, ..their power company sh1t-heels & london pound shorters with the "once again" unlimited bonuses will never be short of coke, hookers & porsches.

Turnberry has been paid for, "it all helps" so even a small scale project keeping the lights on should surely have been given a head start to start & finish early, with trackways etc in better (more clement) scottish weather.

Wondering how many onshore wind turbine projects are on hold pending paperwork in the uk currently.
In essence, if the will was actually there, could we have had turnberry by say march, rather than Nov 2023 ? ..as joe says a mere year away, given uk crises & geo-politics.

Not saying this because many here have stumped up cash, but because of the daily doom portents & prohecies led by increasingly desperate & corrupt sh1tsh0w govt (esp after this latest in a line of unelected by we the proles "leaders" ..dirty brown outs & economic damage from the uncertainty of lights remaining on.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more