Plug-in solar devices.

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
spread-tee

Re: Plug-in solar devices.

Post by spread-tee »

Not sure I'd be using a plug TBH
Desp

EDIT, in fact I am sure, no way would I use a plug!
Blah blah blah
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Although I'd be far cheaper just adding a 4th string of three panels on the 2nd array and upping the Victron charge controller to a higher rated unit. Oh dear i've said it now...

I continue to think that these plug & play units are an excellent idea which could be shifted in large numbers. Although from the rarified POV of an exisiting owner who is happy to DIY I think the price point per kWh is high. I guess that's the price for a simple solution.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

spread-tee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:12 pm Not sure I'd be using a plug TBH
Desp
If it's OK to use a plug to draw 13 amps - kettle etc. - then why is one not good enough for a lot less power in the other direction?

I take the point about not wanting to put it into a ring main, but a spur?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:57 am
spread-tee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:12 pm Not sure I'd be using a plug TBH
Desp
If it's OK to use a plug to draw 13 amps - kettle etc. - then why is one not good enough for a lot less power in the other direction?

I take the point about not wanting to put it into a ring main, but a spur?
A
Do you mean spur, or do you mean radial? My understanding of a spur was much as given here: https://www.diydata.com/electrics/elect ... ossary.php and that would imply to me at least that using a spur is as bad if not worse than a ring main as it comes off a ring main in the first place.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

For me, it was the simplicity of the concept - small ground or wall mount, plug into house circuit, all DIY.

I can appreciate the issues with this approach - not least of which, potentially, having a plug attached to a generating panel that could be removed from a socket.

I suppose installing a separate radial circuit and hard wiring the panels to it would still be simpler than a full install. But would it be ‘legal’/compliant ?
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:51 am I suppose installing a separate radial circuit and hard wiring the panels to it would still be simpler than a full install. But would it be ‘legal’/compliant ?
Installing a new circuit is "notifiable" work. You need building regs sign off (if you are not a qualified electrician registered with a competent persons scheme). However modifying an existing circuit doesn't concern building regs, but to comply with the wiring regulations you'd need to lower the breaker capacity (eg swap the 32A for a 20A) which would be notifiable (I think).

Long story short these guys are treading a very fine line. They claim their products are legal to use as they describe but that requires a twisted interpretation.

There is a big difference between 400W and 4000W. The first might not be compliant, but in the real world doesn't make much difference to anything regards to safety and circuit overloading. The 2nd is really asking to burn your house down!

https://www.pluginsolar.co.uk/?product= ... und-mounts
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

As with most things, there’ll be some dodgy installations by dodgy people - they get away with it. Convince their mate who’s not tech savvy that it’s all pukka and he burns his house down/electrocutes himself.

The old adage still holds true, I suppose - if it’s too good/easy to be true ;)
nowty

Post by nowty »

EDF Energy are happy for a Powervault to be connected via a plug / socket, I hardly think, you could call them cowboys.

16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Are we saying the plug is the power source? or have I got that muddled up? A live plug is AKA a widow maker...............

Desp
Blah blah blah
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

That’s what I don’t get - how is the Powerwall plug different ?