Plug-in solar devices.

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
nowty

Re: Plug-in solar devices.

Post by nowty »

The older versions were 7A or 10A so a plug / socket would work (It still needs to be on a fused spur). The newer versions need 32A cable so cannot use a plug and socket unless you used a commando 32A socket.

Even the older installation manual G200 says, "Check that the power cord(s), plug(s),and sockets are in good condition."

https://www.powervault.co.uk/wp-content ... n-2017.pdf
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:33 pm EDF Energy are happy for a Powervault to be connected via a plug / socket, I hardly think, you could call them cowboys.

Yep. Not permitted by the regulations unless it is a dedicated circuit!

Although I believe the additional regulations about connecting a "generating set" (which a solar inverter or battery system would be) to an existing circuit didn't come in until 18th Edition (July 2018).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Just checked and 551.7.2 came in with the 17th edition (in 2008).

If a generating set is installed on an existing/non-dedicated circuit then the following additional conditions must be met for the installation to be compliant:

(i) the current carrying capacity of the final circuit conductors shall be greater than or equal to the rated current of the protective device plus the rated output of the generating set, and
(ii) A generating set shall not be connected to a final circuit by a plug and socket, and
(iii) A residual current device providing additional protection of the final circuit in accordance with Regulation 415.1 shall disconnect all live conductors including the neutral conductor, and
(iv) The line and neutral conductors of the final circuit and of the generating
set shall not be connected to earth, and
(v) Unless the device providing automatic disconnection of the final circuit in accordance with Regulation 411.3.2 disconnects the line and neutral conductors, it shall be verified that the combination of the disconnection time of the protective device for the final circuit and the time taken for the output voltage of the generating set to reduce to 50 V or less is not greater than the disconnection time required by Regulation 411.3.2 for a final circuit.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Sorry to spam the thread but the risk here is real!

Imagine you have a 20A radial wired in 2.5 T+E. Halfway along you have a 2300W (10A) solar inverter. If a device further down the circuit develops a fault and draws 30A then the current flowing along the wires will be in excess of the safe capacity of the cables and risks burning down your house.

This is doubly dangerous because it is very common to have a "broken ring" in a ring final circuit. Therefore the same 2.5 T+E (20A safe capacity), with 2300W (10A) solar halfway along would happily allow a 42A fault to carry on forever.

Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:55 pm Sorry to spam the thread but the risk here is real!

Imagine you have a 20A radial wired in 2.5 T+E. Halfway along you have a 2300W (10A) solar inverter. If a device further down the circuit develops a fault and draws 30A then the current flowing along the wires will be in excess of the safe capacity of the cables and risks burning down your house.

This is doubly dangerous because it is very common to have a "broken ring" in a ring final circuit. Therefore the same 2.5 T+E (20A safe capacity), with 2300W (10A) solar halfway along would happily allow a 42A fault to carry on forever.
That is what I was asking in posts #16 & #24 - I totally agree the risk is real but don't think you're spamming the thread when you highlight such safety issues.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Info Is info regardless of how it is received stinsy.
Better the full picture than the limited vision perspective.

(people ate tide pods after watching videos & having ignored warnings on the box & the media) ..at least here a view will be dissected, sometimes peeled like a banana, but scrutiny is as it should be, for instance we recently had another plug in solar thread, but it tailed off, in this one whether people agree or not a whole load more info was forthcoming.

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-te ... oral-panic
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Stinsy, information is good.

If I were to plug my Powerwall into a socket, inadvertently pull the plug out, I presume the plug is ‘live’ (if the Powerwall has charge) and irrespective of internal cut outs/safety devices,
I’d be at risk of electrocution ?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Could under spec system size, short spur it on its own breaker back to the CU and use 16A IP rated plug/socket with rotary isolators for the make & break? Suddenly, not very plug and play. Safer though..

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/product ... lsrc=aw.ds
Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:29 pm Could spec system size, short spur it on its own breaker and use 16A IP rated plugs with rotary isolator? Suddenly, not very plug and play. Safer though..
What you describe as: "short spur on its own breaker" is really a: "dedicated radial" in which case you're good to go and can use a normal 13A plug/socket if you chose (although a 16/32A commando plug is more likely to be considered suitable). The danger really only comes from mixing loads/generators on the same circuit.

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:33 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:29 pm Could spec system size, short spur it on its own breaker and use 16A IP rated plugs with rotary isolator? Suddenly, not very plug and play. Safer though..
What you describe as: "short spur on its own breaker" is really a: "dedicated radial" in which case you're good to go and can use a normal 13A plug/socket if you chose (although a 16/32A commando plug is more likely to be considered suitable). The danger really only comes from mixing loads/generators on the same circuit.
Fair enough on the wording! Someone made the point earlier on 13A pins being live but I don't think the system will power on solar side until it detects.mains power in the commercial product? Nonetheless that's why I'd run it on commando as gotta go some to arc those out with fingers if I took a diy approach.

I must admit to.pricing a 4th set of 3 JA 325W panels this morning before heading to Dundee. :)
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees