SMETS2 and reactive power.

Tinbum

SMETS2 and reactive power.

Post by Tinbum »

This morning I was just looking at a slight discrepancy between what power I was reading and what power my display was showing and started thinking about reactive power and whether the SMETS2 meters measured it.

Came across this interesting tread that may be of interest to Tesla owners.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... rs.188061/
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Oldgreybeard

Re: SMETS2 and reactive power.

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Tinbum wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:16 am This morning I was just looking at a slight discrepancy between what power I was reading and what power my display was showing and started thinking about reactive power and whether the SMETS2 meters measured it.

Came across this interesting tread that may be of interest to Tesla owners.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... rs.188061/
Yes they do measure VA as well as watts. Before smart meters, domestic electricity billing meters only normally measured true power (watts rather than VA). Smart meters measure both, and hold the readings in separate registers. At the moment they are required (by law, I believe) to only bill based on true power, the same as all other electricity meters, so there should be no difference between either type of meter.

Commercial consumers do often get billed for VA, rather than watts, so it pays them to correct the power factor of their heavy loads in order to get watts closer to VA.

It is worth remembering that electricity meters don't have to be super accurate for billing, and will often have errors of a couple of percent or so. They are allowed to have an error, as the law states they have to read between -2.5% and +3.5% of the true energy delivered, I believe
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Re: SMETS2 and reactive power.

Post by nowty »

The official accuracy of meters are only above a certain minimum value so as battery inverters attempt run as close to zero as possible, they don't work too well. Some inverters give you the option of setting a + / - fixed offset.

I have to set a -9W (constant exporting) offset to my SMA Sunny Island to get my smart meter to read zero. :evil:

In comparison, when I used to have an electronic but non smart E7 meter I could set my battery inverter to constantly import around 15W without the meter registering anything. :twisted:

The Tesla Powerwall incompatibility with one type of meter has been well documented.
https://octopus.energy/blog/perils-work ... nnovators/
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3