Go VS Agile

marshman

Re: Go VS Agile

Post by marshman »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:07 am
rogeriko wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:31 pm Just apply. Octopus cannot access the DVLA database. Just tick the box that says EV and apply. What are you afraid of..
Is that correct, though? I thought access to the DVLA data was now fairly open. Surprised me when I booked my car in for a service recently and the garage only asked for the registration, from which they accessed all the details from DVLA. Insurance companies seem to be able to do the same. Not sure how much access DVLA give to others, but I think it's possible that any energy supplier that is offering a tariff that requires ownership of a particular type of car may well have enough access to DVLA data to check this.
Difference is looking up the reg no. Gives details of the vehicle, it does not reveal anything about the registered keeper. This keeps it out of the clutches of the GDPR. For several years now the V5C that is issued when you buy a second hand car no longer has previous keeper details like it did in the old days. Asking the DVLA if person X has an EV would drive a coach and horses through GDPR and would be unworkable as not all cars would be in the account holders name, company cars for instance, so Octopus would have to ask for those details and to be thorough get confirmation from the registered keeper that you actually had and charged the EV at home. Doubt that will happen, just another tick box exercise to put people off imho.
nowty

Post by nowty »

If I wanted to join Go without an EV I would simply look for an EV in my local area so the reg and make matches in case they ask. Anyone can check the model vs the reg number without any cost, but try and find the registered keeper, that's more difficult so they won't do it.

You can even join Go with an EV on order so you don't even know the reg !, and it won't be registered to you.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I think my concern about lying to a supplier when agreeing a supply contract is more ethical than practical. I'm sure the chance of the fraud being discovered by Octopus would be pretty low in reality. Octopus strike me as being a fair and morally decent supplier, certainly by comparison with many of their competitors. I'm not that comfortable with the idea of someone lying to them in order to get a more attractive supply contract, if I'm honest.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Kenny000666

Post by Kenny000666 »

This is interesting right. With the direction the world is going to store energy, it still feels like battery storage is not as main steam as EVs. As we can see, suppliers are tailoring services for EVs as shown by IO and GO. But where’s the tailored services for Battery Storage. If it’s harder to get favourable service for batteries, isn’t this going to take the opposite effect of encouraging people to do store? Economy 7 feels more like shifting load rather than being a service for battery owners. I feel that Go and IO should be open to Battery owners as it’s sort of like an EV when you store overnight to use/drive during the day.

Unless there’s suddenly an influx of battery owners recently that octopus are like “ahhh this wasn’t the original use case we need to step back and reassess”
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Been with GO for five years now (link in sig for a free £50 :D ) and it has been great for us as we are all EV in that time. Used to charge two EVs on it at the previous house.

Now with battery as well that gets topped up on it over night.

Go does not need an app or a specific charger, its just cheap rate for the four hours. £0.05p a unit for us until end of Jan 2023. I believe it will go to £0.12p a unit then :evil:

Intelligent Octopus needs a specific charger I believe
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:07 am
rogeriko wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:31 pm Just apply. Octopus cannot access the DVLA database. Just tick the box that says EV and apply. What are you afraid of..
Is that correct, though? I thought access to the DVLA data was now fairly open. Surprised me when I booked my car in for a service recently and the garage only asked for the registration, from which they accessed all the details from DVLA. Insurance companies seem to be able to do the same. Not sure how much access DVLA give to others, but I think it's possible that any energy supplier that is offering a tariff that requires ownership of a particular type of car may well have enough access to DVLA data to check this.
I'm not sure if this is still the case but I once asked the DVLA for all the vehicles registered in my name and they couldn't supply it. But then on the other hand I had a couple of police officers call round unexpectedly, a few years ago, to inspect a car of mine. They had checked for owners of the specific type of car in the local area, they also checked me out prior to the visit. I can't say what for but it was interesting.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

NikoV6 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:05 pm Been with GO for five years now (link in sig for a free £50 :D ) and it has been great for us as we are all EV in that time. Used to charge two EVs on it at the previous house.

Now with battery as well that gets topped up on it over night.

Go does not need an app or a specific charger, its just cheap rate for the four hours. £0.05p a unit for us until end of Jan 2023. I believe it will go to £0.12p a unit then :evil:

Intelligent Octopus needs a specific charger I believe
Hi, can you please remove your Octopus link as we don't advertise for ourselves or seek financial advantage here over and above the other members. Thank you.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

NikoV6 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:05 pm Intelligent Octopus needs a specific charger I believe
The Intelligent Octopus (IO) tariff is essentially lie proof as you need to do an onboarding test charge to get on it. I suspect that's the way they will go long term with an EV tariff.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:19 pm
NikoV6 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:05 pm Intelligent Octopus needs a specific charger I believe
The Intelligent Octopus (IO) tariff is essentially lie proof as you need to do an onboarding test charge to get on it. I suspect that's the way they will go long term with an EV tariff.
I look forward to it! Will keep an eye open for Octopus expanding the Intelligent network to other EV' and chargers.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I honestly can't see why they are the slightest bit bothered as to whether someone has an EV or not. The bottom line is that they are in the business of selling electricity - the more they sell, the more profit they make. We put more energy into the house battery over the course of a year than we do into the car battery, so I wonder why having battery storage isn't enough to qualify for these tariffs?

There's never been any similar requirement for other time of use tariffs, like E7. E7 certainly started out being a tariff aimed at those with storage heaters, but it's always been available for all, irrespective of whether they have storage heating or not. My motive for switching to E7 was mainly for charging the car, originally. When I later installed the batteries E7 made even more sense. Hard to understand why suppliers are creating tariffs that are only available for those with an EV, as I can't see what benefit they gain by being so restrictive.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter