Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

nowty

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by nowty »

My SMA Sunny Island battery charger freaked me out today. Sometimes something happens which seem inexplicable but there is always an explanation, but for quite some time, I just could not work it out. :?

The overnight charging level had been set overnight at only 1kW during the cheapslot but it mysteriously went full tilt at 6kW for about an hour.

Maybe it decided to do a full charge which it does now and again if I don't reset the counter, no, not that.

Maybe I set the webpage incorrectly on a single day for charging, no not that.

Lets check the event log, looks sort of normal but there are some entries at 2:07am, and they seem to reoccur again at the same time interval of 2:07am. Errrrrrrr, oh, didn't the clocks change last night at 2am. :oops:

It still should not have done this, but as least my sanity is restored. :mrgreen:

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

My fix for oddball behaviour with my Sofar inverter has been to disable the daylight saving time option and leave the thing set to UTC all year around. E7 times are fixed to UTC anyway, so doing this had zero impact on anything, other than having the display showing the wrong time through the summer. Before I did this it was doing some mighty odd things, including changing the time by an hour overnight randomly. I'm pretty sure its DST option doesn't use the right algorithm for the UK. It should have the option to change the time at 2am on the last Sunday of October and at 1am on the last Sunday of March, but it seems not to do this. Leaving it set to UTC solved all the issues. I also leave the car charger timer set to UTC all year too, and a couple of other timers used to turn things on overnight, like the clock in the Eddi.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:58 pm My fix for oddball behaviour with my Sofar inverter has been to disable the daylight saving time option and leave the thing set to UTC all year around. E7 times are fixed to UTC anyway, so doing this had zero impact on anything, other than having the display showing the wrong time through the summer. Before I did this it was doing some mighty odd things, including changing the time by an hour overnight randomly. I'm pretty sure its DST option doesn't use the right algorithm for the UK. It should have the option to change the time at 2am on the last Sunday of October and at 1am on the last Sunday of March, but it seems not to do this. Leaving it set to UTC solved all the issues. I also leave the car charger timer set to UTC all year too, and a couple of other timers used to turn things on overnight, like the clock in the Eddi.
It it actually this?
I thought it was 2am on the Sunday morning after the last Saturday of October, so some (very few) years it could be 2 am on Sun 1st November, which is subtly different.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:03 am It it actually this?
I thought it was 2am on the Sunday morning after the last Saturday of October, so some (very few) years it could be 2 am on Sun 1st November, which is subtly different.
A
And irrelevant, I'm afraid, as far as the way the Sofar seems to treat DST, at least as far as the UK is concerned, which is the key issue I was describing. Doesn't really matter what the exact and precise algorithm should be at all, the fact is that the Sofar was not following it and was resetting the time with a one hour offset when it shouldn't have. By doing this it ended up using peak rate electricity when it shouldn't have.

The fix was as described, stick to using UTC all year around and the problem goes away. May not be the fix for those on smart tariffs, that may not stick to the E7 convention of the time periods always being UTC.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

Been importing everyday now for over a month but my octopus virtual battery is still increasing. :twisted:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Andy

Post by Andy »

How much did you buy from ripple in terms of cash if you don't mind me asking? They were showing lots of photos of people saying they had saved money but there was never any mention of how much they had invested.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Andy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:32 pm How much did you buy from ripple in terms of cash if you don't mind me asking? They were showing lots of photos of people saying they had saved money but there was never any mention of how much they had invested.
In WT1 Graig Fatha £5,197.
If it generates the forecast, savings of £772 in first year.
Second year could be double that.

And another £4,637 in WT2 Kirk Hill, but have to wait another year to get savings from that one. That will probably be similar in savings too.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Andy

Post by Andy »

Wow, that's not bad. I had calculated a payback of 13-14ish years from their paperwork. That is considerably better! Its frustrating I can't get on Octopus as we have no smart meter signal here.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Andy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:19 pm Wow, that's not bad. I had calculated a payback of 13-14ish years from their paperwork. That is considerably better! Its frustrating I can't get on Octopus as we have no smart meter signal here.
It was not supposed to be that high a return based on the share offers but then energy prices went nuts.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Andy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:19 pm Its frustrating I can't get on Octopus as we have no smart meter signal here.
But you can... (or should be able to.) The only thing a smart meter is essential for is a time-of-use tariff. Economy 7 is still around and can work off dumb meters. Octopus are pretty socially responsible and no power company is supposed to refuse to take on new customers anyway. I was lucky being with Coop which got handed over to Octopus.

You can buy into Ripple whoever you are with now, but will have to move to one of their partner distributors - but only when the time to receive savings comes... which might well give you extra leverage to get Octopus to take you on (If you really can't get them to do it now.)
Good luck
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!