Mandatory heat pumps

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
dan_b

Mandatory heat pumps

Post by dan_b »

This is good - Washington State legislates for all new builds to have heat pumps.

https://electrek.co/2022/11/09/heat-pum ... ton-state/
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Stinsy

Re: Mandatory heat pumps

Post by Stinsy »

One of the things that infuriates me the most is that new-builds in the UK are still going up with gas boilers.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Agree - new builds in the UK are just baking in low quality, inefficient buildings with an expensive energy dependency for several hundred years. Awful.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Wonder who gets the manilla "boiler bunga" to keep that rolling.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
marshman

Post by marshman »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:58 am One of the things that infuriates me the most is that new-builds in the UK are still going up with gas boilers.
If the powers that be were serious then they would ban "conventional" radiators in new builds and mandate underfloor heating with heatpump. Also a domestic hotwater tank, battery storage for peak shaving along with PV where practicable. None of which would add much % wise to the overall cost.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

marshman wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:31 pm
Stinsy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:58 am One of the things that infuriates me the most is that new-builds in the UK are still going up with gas boilers.
If the powers that be were serious then they would ban "conventional" radiators in new builds and mandate underfloor heating with heatpump. Also a domestic hotwater tank, battery storage for peak shaving along with PV where practicable. None of which would add much % wise to the overall cost.

My father first started using underfloor heating in the 1980's in the houses he was building -so over 35 years ago - he was only a small operator building one or two houses a year - but he maintained underfloor was quicker and easier to fit over all than radiators, and all the people that bought the houses said how much more comfortable and cheaper to heat they were than their old houses with radiators. His first install was in 1984 and was a retrofit in the house we are currently living in.
I've said before that every new-build should have 1kWp of solar and 2.4kWh of battery per bedroom.

And I agree super-insulated slabs with UFH should also be standard. Let us not forget that these gas boilers they're currently installing in new-builds will be combis that have no DHW tank (and therefore no space for one) and will be accompanied with microbore and teeny rads that are utterly unsuited to later HP retrofit...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

marshman wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:31 pm My father first started using underfloor heating in the 1980's in the houses he was building -so over 35 years ago - he was only a small operator building one or two houses a year - but he maintained underfloor was quicker and easier to fit over all than radiators, and all the people that bought the houses said how much more comfortable and cheaper to heat they were than their old houses with radiators. His first install was in 1984 and was a retrofit in the house we are currently living in.
I'd second this. Our ground floor is a load bearing concrete slab, a so-called "passive slab foundation", that sits on top of 300mm of foam insulation (the foam is load bearing, carries the entire weight of the house). The slab is 100mm thick (except around the edges where it's 200mm thick) and has steel reinforcement mesh embedded in the middle. Adding UFH pipes to this was a doddle, took around half a day to lay and cable tie all the pipes to the mesh before the concrete was poured. I was left with six UFH pipes poking up next to where the heat pump pipes were going to come into the house. Took me less than a day to install the heat pump and connect the UFH and heat pump pipes up to a manifold.

Apart from working well, a bit like a giant storage heater (means we can run the heat pump only during the off-peak period) the big advantage is not having any restrictions on where to put furniture etc. We find the whole house stays at a very even and comfortable temperature. The floor doesn't ever really get that warm, either, it usually sits somewhere between 23°C and 24°C when the heating's on, but that's more than enough to keep the house at around 21.5°C or so.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Djs63

Post by Djs63 »

Heat pumps are excellent 8-)
Proven 6 kWh max turbine, PV 8 KW solar hot water (15 evacuated tubes). Kia eNiro and MG Z5 EV, triple glazing, ground source heat pump and wood stove plus 3000 trees, battery electric chain saw etc, 6000 litres of rainwater storage
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

All good points, but remember the bean counters are in charge, say no more.

Desp
Blah blah blah