Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Kenny000666

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by Kenny000666 »

Haha, no I get it. And yes the info you guys have on this thread are awesome as is. I’ve already kicked off convos with both those suppliers for quotes, which I’m waiting for them to reply on. As you guys probably know it takes a while for them to respond.

I’m just posting the above to show why to the inexperienced should probably be cautious (myself included). Dangerous world out there 😅
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Kenny000666 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:12 pm Haha, no I get it. And yes the info you guys have on this thread are awesome as is. I’ve already kicked off convos with both those suppliers for quotes, which I’m waiting for them to reply on. As you guys probably know it takes a while for them to respond.

I’m just posting the above to show why to the inexperienced should probably be cautious (myself included). Dangerous world out there 😅
Cool, thanks for taking it well. 👍
Best of fortune to you in the quotes. I know exactly how it feels when you're putting serious money out on an E contract. Colin Deng was 10/10 throughout the process, it was such a relief to find him.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

FWIW, my experience with buying batteries and cells from China has been 100% positive. I bought lots of LiFePO4 cells from a company called Headway, many years ago, and was impressed with the efforts they went to make sure I was happy with the purchase. I believe the key is to gain confidence from corresponding with them and making sure you and the supplier are on the same page. My experience was that, in general, reputable Chinese suppliers seem to value the relationship with their customers, and will try and be as helpful as they can.

It's a shame that there is so much suspicion around Chinese suppliers, almost all of it a consequence of some scam artists that sell on Amazon and eBay, I think. Neither Amazon or eBay seem to be bothered by the plethora of dodgy resellers that use their sites, whereas I think Aliexpress tends to be a fair bit better, often because you're dealing directly with manufacturers or suppliers that need to maintain their reputation. Only downside is with payment protection, perhaps. Never had to use it for any Aliexpress purchase, but I have had to use it several times with eBay, and knowing you can get your money back if something goes awry is probably why eBay seems to be trusted a bit more.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I recently had to use the purchase protection on Aliexpress with some CCTV cameras I purchased and was give a full refund and didn't have to return them. Wasn't a problem at all.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
nowty

Post by nowty »

A few years back I ordered a £5 volt meter for Aliexpress which did not turn up, the vendor just sent me another after 3 weeks and the replacement one turned up within just over a week. The original item then turned up about 6 months later which made me wonder where it got stuck. :lol:

It comes down to common sense like ebay, check the reviews and how many orders they have sold and is it too good to be true.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Here's a link for the battery supplier I bought from

https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:25 pm FWIW, my experience with buying batteries and cells from China has been 100% positive. I bought lots of LiFePO4 cells from a company called Headway, many years ago, and was impressed with the efforts they went to make sure I was happy with the purchase. I believe the key is to gain confidence from corresponding with them and making sure you and the supplier are on the same page. My experience was that, in general, reputable Chinese suppliers seem to value the relationship with their customers, and will try and be as helpful as they can.

It's a shame that there is so much suspicion around Chinese suppliers, almost all of it a consequence of some scam artists that sell on Amazon and eBay, I think. Neither Amazon or eBay seem to be bothered by the plethora of dodgy resellers that use their sites, whereas I think Aliexpress tends to be a fair bit better, often because you're dealing directly with manufacturers or suppliers that need to maintain their reputation. Only downside is with payment protection, perhaps. Never had to use it for any Aliexpress purchase, but I have had to use it several times with eBay, and knowing you can get your money back if something goes awry is probably why eBay seems to be trusted a bit more.
I have been fortunate enough to have been out cutting about both Shenzhen and Zhouhai. About a dozen years back. Excellent places, great people. I bought an outstanding carved wooden standing Buddha when.i was pissed. Had been into this shop a few times, unbelievable carvings in both wood and stone to scales I won't even try to describe. Mightily impressive. Anyway, paid for Buddha, gave the guy my address in Scotland then I jumped the ferry to HK and onward to home. Sure enough, 6 weeks later, Buddha rocked up at my house. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

This is Colin's direct email for quotes.

colin@deriytech.com
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Kenny000666

Post by Kenny000666 »

Wow thanks joe

Plenty of ways you have posted to get in touch with Colin 😂.

In the mean time, kick started by buying a BMS on the 11.11 Ali sale - Image
It’s from their official store, and I see many battery videos using the same BMS so should be a good 👍

Figured it was about the price of a balancing board and get the benefit of Bluetooth. Can’t say no to Bluetooth 😂

Funnily enough, it was cheaper getting it shipped to the UK than getting it delivered to HK, for a relative who is coming back in the new year to carry over. Hah
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.