Budget changes - impact on EVs?

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mr Gus

Re: Budget changes - impact on EVs?

Post by Mr Gus »

MM, there are NOW, but even as recenly as late 2020 thebev market choice was a lot smaller & potential range limited, as well as naff all known by the staff manning the places selling "one" ev within their massive range.

Exactly how we ended up getting the lowest model with a single motor, smaller battery & less range

(as discussed here before)

The least SUV type bev that had better aerodynamics & technically eked out more range, often for not much more than the bev they were ignoring & were ignorant of.

Necessity not fan boi -ism's

Thats how we chose ours / driven into the arms of tesla by feckless "competitors"
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

All the nearby Renault dealers were the same, absolutely completely clueless about the Zoe. We had loads of just plain false information from the three dealerships we went to see, and I ended up buying by using an online site that got the best price from several dealers, after spending lots of time finding out stuff myself that the dealers should have had at their fingertips.

I did venture into a bear pit of an online EV forum for all of a few hours. Never encountered such a bunch of downright rude and aggressive people in my life. I didn't ever go back there, as it seemed many were more intent on being rude and obnoxious to each other than trying to help someone looking for unbiased advice.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
marshman

Post by marshman »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:45 pm To use the FiT analogy, what's just happened would be akin to all of us getting older FiT rates being told that instead of them being guaranteed for 25 or 20 years they would end in April 2025 (mine doesn't end until March 2034). Lots of people funded their systems when FiTs was around by borrowing and using the "guaranteed" FiT payments to pay off their loans, not to mention all the rent-a-roof companies that took advantage of that 25 year/20 year guarantee.
Difference is that the government stated that the FiT income was for "guaranteed" 25 years (or 20 for later installs). They never said EV's would be £0 for any period as far as I know. As I said they have acted retrospectively on VED before as I am painfully aware.
marshman

Post by marshman »

Mr Gus wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:46 pm MM, there are NOW, but even as recenly as late 2020 thebev market choice was a lot smaller & potential range limited, as well as naff all known by the staff manning the places selling "one" ev within their massive range.

Exactly how we ended up getting the lowest model with a single motor, smaller battery & less range

(as discussed here before)

The least SUV type bev that had better aerodynamics & technically eked out more range, often for not much more than the bev they were ignoring & were ignorant of.

Necessity not fan boi -ism's

Thats how we chose ours / driven into the arms of tesla by feckless "competitors"
Not sure of your point? I never mentioned Teslas in my post. I was just saying that if you can afford £40k for a car (and by that I mean any car EV or ICE) then you can afford the extra VED. It only applies to new purchases from 2025 and is not retrospective. So at that point I would assume there will be plenty of sub £40k choices - inflation allowing
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marshman

Post by marshman »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:13 pm So BEV-owners will pay £165 while loads of petrol and diesel owners on legacy VED rates will pay £0, £20, or £30.

Hardly seems "fair"!

"zero and low emission cars first registered between 1 March 2001 and 30 March 2017 currently in Band A will move to the Band B rate, currently £20 a year" from April 2025. So no more £0 VED for ICE's (unless the taxation class is "Historic Vehicle").
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

MM, you said there was plenty of choice, nope, not really, likely the amount of BEVS available since we ordered has nigh on doubled, in 2020 they were still demurring.

Too many early models werent dedicated bev design, more bolt on bodge, & many not having much more (if any) than the 2015 nissan leaf we already had, ..oh & the later leaf had that unresolved fast charging lock out scenario which would have been a weekly / daily dice roll for the mrs & her expensive & necessary appointments with her patients living, far away.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
marshman

Post by marshman »

Mr Gus wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:53 pm MM, you said there was plenty of choice, nope, not really, likely the amount of BEVS available since we ordered has nigh on doubled, in 2020 they were still demurring.

Too many early models werent dedicated bev design, more bolt on bodge, & many not having much more (if any) than the 2015 nissan leaf we already had, ..oh & the later leaf had that unresolved fast charging lock out scenario which would have been a weekly / daily dice roll for the mrs & her expensive & necessary appointments with her patients living, far away.
But I am talking about the VED supplement for +£40k EVs from April 2025, don"t see what that has to do with what was around in 2020 or before.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

VED will catch up right? the older BEV cars are not grandfathered out of paying it in perpetuity.

Therefore "afford vs availability" are two different things when vehicles bought earlier are stitched up for heavy ved tax latterly.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

It had to happen eventually. It was a tax incentive that is probably no longer necessary. But the retrospective application is clearly and obviously faulty as everybody has pointed out already quite clearly. Just shows how desperate for cash the Chancellor is to basically try and grab a few quid extra from a few early EV adopters and claw it back.

Will be interesting to see what the fuel duty rises actually will end up being too. There's a good 5 Billion Quid or so laying on the table there.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Don't forget the compulsory smart meter on EV chargers ........... that's where tax generation and charging control will come from .......
George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.