annual logs. very analogue

Update your annual/monthly generation data. Please list system details in first post.
Gareth J

annual logs. very analogue

Post by Gareth J »

No fancy datalogging here. But the annual logs are interesting nonetheless.

This set of panels is interesting as it's logged in November, so, after the bulk of a year's generation.

Topest year; 2018, closely followed by this, 2022 year.

A south facing 4kwp 3.68 limited array in north Cornwall. Unfortunately it's so high up it's never been cleaned. Pleased to see it's not dropped off noticeably.
Last edited by Gareth J on Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spread-tee

Re: annual logs. very analogue

Post by spread-tee »

I love it, no APPS, CLOUD, WIFFY, GOOGLE, ALGRITHMS or any other nonsense, just a bit of readable paper, a man after my heart :D

Desp
Blah blah blah
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Bu99er. Thought I’d talk about the wood store :evil:

There again, analogue can be very comfortable :lol:
John_S

Post by John_S »

Gareth J wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:31 pm
Pleased to see it's not dropped off noticeably.
It is very hard to determine the amount of degradation of solar panels.

The biggest influence on the annual generation is the annual sunshine hours. In your case there are monthly totals on the Met Office website for Camborne and Chivenor. There is also the question of the quality of the sunshine. Bright or hazy, morning or afternoon (especially for non-south facing roofs and shading issues), summer or winter etc. over several years one can expect quality to average out.

Thus kWh per kWp per hour of sunshine is a useful measure.

The next biggest influence is probably temperature. The higher the temperature the lower the efficiency of solar panels. More sunshine hours equals higher temperature and thus a lower kWh/kWp/sunshinehr.

All in all even after over 12 years of data. I cannot meaningfully determine how much degradation my solar panels have suffered.

John
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

John_S wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:58 pm All in all even after over 12 years of data. I cannot meaningfully determine how much degradation my solar panels have suffered.
I’ve seen lots of people with arrays over 10 years old who cannot detect any deg whatsoever certainly it is within the normal variation from one year to another with recent “record years”. I’m leaning heavily towards real world deg being much less than thought.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:41 am
John_S wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:58 pm All in all even after over 12 years of data. I cannot meaningfully determine how much degradation my solar panels have suffered.
I’ve seen lots of people with arrays over 10 years old who cannot detect any deg whatsoever certainly it is within the normal variation from one year to another with recent “record years”. I’m leaning heavily towards real world deg being much less than thought.
I agree, our system has been generating around 6,000kWh/year consistently each year since it was installed in 2014. There's a few percent variation from year to year, but no obvious downward trend. If there is some panel degradation then it looks as if it is less than the normal variation from year to year, so probably isn't worth worrying about too much.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter