UK Wind Record

Wind turbines
Moxi

Re: UK Wind Record

Post by Moxi »

Its nice to see that we can export any excess power while maintaining a stable grid at this end, Europe will be needing all they can get in the coming Months so a windy winter for us would be really beneficial. If it could be windy AND sunny so much the better!

More wind turbines are only ever going to help as far as I can see, if we can't store, it ourselves, we should pass it to Europe and in the unlikely event that they have enough they can pass it further afield. From a humanitarian POV its a no brainer, not sure big corporations will see it that way tho.

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Absolutely correct - that is essentially the point of the HVDC interconnector "Supergrid" concept, and is why there was a target of 18GW of interconnectors in and out of the UK by 2030 (and why I'm a nerd and am keeping a spreadsheet of them)!

I also don't think we'll get to 18GW by 2030 given that AQUIND was basically a corrupt project, GridLink got rejected by the French Govt and the Icelink to Iceland has been completely silent for 3 years- but I think 14GW is entirely likely given the pipeline of projects still alive.

What will also help reduce future curtailment is the Eastern Bootstrap programme, which will see 2x 2GW HVDCs bring power down from Scotland to England along the East coast - planned to be operational in 2027 and 2029 respectively.
Mart wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:27 pm
Just looked at Energy Numbers and we are now exporting 6GW to mainland Europe. Wowza.

Just guessing, but perhaps all of these interconnectors are allowing us to generate more wind. I mean, less curtailment, if (just guessing at the if) internal interconnectors can't handle it all.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mart

Post by Mart »

This is another one of those situations where I've confused myself, so don't worry if this is garbage ..... but .....

Assuming we have the interconnectors, and the excess gen (given the UK's vast offshore wind potential), then before we curtail generation, I assume the marginal price will trend towards zero? First assumption, so this may be where I'm going wrong.

From there, excess RE (ours, or any country) should undercut FF's anywhere within reach of the interconnected grids? (Second assumption).

So good news hopefully as we (Europe) increase RE and interconnectors.

Obviously interconnectors aren't free to build, and incur some losses, but presumably once they exist, they make sense to use. Also they, and storage, will help to prevent RE prices hitting zero or negative too often, thus improving the economics of RE by establishing a floor price, albeit a low one?

I've added all the ? marks as I may be talking nonsense.

[Also, I suppose lower prices (too low) aren't great for now where we have CfD's as these top up from the sell price to the strike price.]
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mart

Post by Mart »

dan_b wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:59 pm Absolutely correct - that is essentially the point of the HVDC interconnector "Supergrid" concept, and is why there was a target of 18GW of interconnectors in and out of the UK by 2030 (and why I'm a nerd and am keeping a spreadsheet of them)!

I also don't think we'll get to 18GW by 2030 given that AQUIND was basically a corrupt project, GridLink got rejected by the French Govt and the Icelink to Iceland has been completely silent for 3 years- but I think 14GW is entirely likely given the pipeline of projects still alive.

What will also help reduce future curtailment is the Eastern Bootstrap programme, which will see 2x 2GW HVDCs bring power down from Scotland to England along the East coast - planned to be operational in 2027 and 2029 respectively.
Mart wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:27 pm
Just looked at Energy Numbers and we are now exporting 6GW to mainland Europe. Wowza.

Just guessing, but perhaps all of these interconnectors are allowing us to generate more wind. I mean, less curtailment, if (just guessing at the if) internal interconnectors can't handle it all.
I'm a total interconnector nerd too. Follow your posts, and my goto for totals is the OFGEM site, where capacity is shooting up. Potentially 15.9GW by 2025, but contains Gridlink, as you mentioned.

OFGEM Interconnectors
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:57 pm They should have built a turbine at the back of my cottage ! we've had gales all week more or less and today snow hail, sleet, thunderstorms and now just gales and showers which if like me you are outside feel just like standing in the shower fully clothed! Cold and soaked in less than thirty seconds.
@Moxi, Is it still a bit windy in your neck of the woods ?

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Windy again, but its weekend.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:18 pm Windy again, but its weekend.
meaning less demand, so curtailment more likely?
Anyway, it's nice to see wind doing more than gas and 4 times the nuclear contribution. Also Hydro and pumped hydro going too...

2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

Yep, its over 20GW on Energy Numbers again, getting to be a habit now. :mrgreen:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

16.4 on Gridwatch though. Not far off...
nowty

Post by nowty »

Peak wind is forecast for 8pm and the gas has been turned down so its touch and go, only need another 0.5GW or so. :geek:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3